Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Touch and Go

Liked
    0 times
    My uncle was an actor. I don't know much about him, but I do remember seeing him in an old British film (B & W) with David Niven. It was a tiny part, all I can remember was a scene in an office, my uncle, a young boy, is something like an office junior or post boy, and David Niven throws something at him, like a newspaper or something. I know it's not much to go on...

His 'real' name was John Carroll, I'm not sure if he acted under that name, I've tried the usual searches. He worked on stage mainly, but did have a few bit parts. I only have vague family stories to go on - but I do remember an old newspaper cutting my Nana had, of him receiving The Alexanda korda award.

I keep thinking the film in question also had Jack Hawkins in, and a story about a family emigrating to Australia... but I think I'm getting confused.

I'd be greatful for any help.

Liked
    80 times
    The film about emigration to Australia is Touch and Go (1955) which does star Jack Hawkins but not David Niven. A John Carroll is credited as playing the part of an office boy.

More here:

Touch and Go (1955) - Full cast and crew

Euryale.

Senior Member Country: Scotland
    Liked
    0 times
    The Jack Hawkins one sounds like a late Ealing film but I can't trace it.

Senior Member Country: Scotland
    Liked
    0 times
    Ah -- you got it!

Liked
    80 times
    Unfortunately, the British John Carroll's film credits at the IMDB seem to have gotten confused with those of the American actor/singer of the same name.

Euryale.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='Euryale']Unfortunately, the British John Carroll's film credits at the IMDB seem to have gotten confused with those of the American actor/singer of the same name.

Euryale.

That's why there's an Update button at the bottom of every page (for a person or title)

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    name='Euryale']The film about emigration to Australia is Touch and Go (1955) which does star Jack Hawkins but not David Niven. A John Carroll is credited as playing the part of an office boy.

More here:

Touch and Go (1955) - Full cast and crew

Euryale.

Thank you so much!

What a clever bunch you are.

It must be Touch and Go - however, the John Carroll in the link, is not the John Carroll (my uncle). But it IS my uncle in the film.

I have little information, he was definately British, no year of birth but I know it was before 1933. He could have been born overseas as my Grandfather was in the Army (The Manchester Regiment).

Any way I can chase the Korda prize recipiants?

Once again - thank you.

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    If your uncle was born before 1933, he can't have been a young boy in Touch and Go (1955), as he would have been at least 23 years old by then and most probably much older.

Liked
    80 times
    name='darrenburnfan']If your uncle was born before 1933, he can't have been a young boy in Touch and Go (1955), as he would have been at least 23 years old by then and most probably much older.

Well, ''office boy" in the cast list could simply mean a young man who is the workplace junior, and of course actors often play outside their own age group. The poster also thought David Niven was in it, which he isn't, but admitted he may have been mixed up. Perhaps John Carroll did appear as a child in an as yet unidentified film with Mr. Niven.

Euryale.

Liked
    418 times
    name='darrenburnfan']If your uncle was born before 1933, he can't have been a young boy in Touch and Go (1955), as he would have been at least 23 years old by then and most probably much older.

As well as the point (well made) about actors playing younger than their true age, there were often cases in real life of "office boys", messenger boys and post room boys working in City offices who were in their 20s or even in their 30s

The "boy" or "junior" in their job title referred to their position not to their age

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    I phoned my Sister - he was born after 1933, he was my Mum's younger Brother, I always assumed he was older. It's difficult to research with no one to ask (I know).

He is definitely the 'Office Boy', I remember seeing a still from the film. His picture was also in the cutting re: The Korda Award. Was the award given to stage as well as screen acting?

I'm convinced of the David Niven thing... maybe I AM confusing the two films (with the sketchy info), but I'm sure I remember my Mum saying he was in a film with Niven.

He was small, dark haired with a 'boyish' face, so he may well have been older than the boy he portrayed.

I don't think he entered acting until after his National Service.

Oh, and by the way - I am all woman.

Thanks for your posts, they have been VERY interesting.

Liked
    0 times
    ...how do I change my gender on the profile?

Liked
    418 times
    name='smorgs']He is definitely the 'Office Boy', I remember seeing a still from the film. His picture was also in the cutting re: The Korda Award. Was the award given to stage as well as screen acting?

The only Alexander Korda Award I know of is the one given as part of the BAFTAs for the Best British Film. Do you have any more information about this award he was given?

Steve

Liked
    418 times
    name='smorgs']...how do I change my gender on the profile?

Click on where it shows your user name and View Public Profile.

Then find and click on where it says Customize Profile

Then find and click on where it says Edit Your Details

Down at the bottom of the page it gives the option to Select your gender

Steve

Liked
    80 times
    John Carroll did appear in The Silken Affair (1956) with David Niven. He is not credited at the IMDB but is in the cast list as a character called Henry in Karin J. Fowler's biography of Niven.

Euryale.

Liked
    80 times
    This link does show him in the cast list:

The Silken Affair 1956: Movie and film review from Answers.com

Euryale.

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    If you could watch The Silken Affair, you would know for sure. Trouble is, as with hundreds of other films from the 1950's and 1960's, it's not available on video or DVD and to the best of my recollection, it's never been shown on television in the UK, either.

Senior Member Country: UK Geoffers's Avatar
    Liked
    5 times
    name='darrenburnfan']If you could watch The Silken Affair, you would know for sure. Trouble is, as with hundreds of other films from the 1950's and 1960's, it's not available on video or DVD and to the best of my recollection, it's never been shown on television in the UK, either.

I'm sure it must be him (i.e. not the American actor). I cannot see the latter playing the part of a lift operator in what appears to be a British production - he was in starring roles around that time.

It looks as though he was credited in this film, that's a good thing because his only other credit on IMDb, the aforementioned Touch and Go, is uncredited which could make moving it to a new name-page difficult. I will add him to the cast of The Silken Affair under a new name, probably John Carroll (XIX), then once it's live the uncredited entry in Touch and Go can be moved.

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks guys!

I saw the newspaper cutting of my Uncle receiving The Alexander Korda award many times as a child.

It was accompanied by a picture of him holding a large trophy. Maybe the award changed (maybe given for stage as well?) over the years.

It's frustrating, as I can't research to any extent, not having a year of birth - or indeed a place.

I did hear he retired from acting and went into 'lighting'. Which seems likely as he was friends with Lucien Ballard, who I believe was something to do with Merle Oberon/Alexander Korda.

But you have all been most helpful.

Liked
    418 times
    name='smorgs']Thanks guys!

I saw the newspaer cutting of my Uncle receiving The Alexander Korda award many times as a child.

It was accompanied by a picture of him holding a large trophy. Maybe the award changed (maybe given for stage as well?) over the years.

It's quite possible. Korda was very good at self-promotion and could well have sponsored a few awards to keep his name in the public eye. I just can't find any reference to them at the moment. But it's very much the sort of thing he would do

Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast