Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    Howdy, and welcome to another edition of my efforts to help people on other forums get their movie questions answered. Once again, here we have a bunch of allegedly British movies (or they at least feature British characters).

1) A British movie that was several different vignettes in one man's life. Black and White and probably from the late 60's or early 70's. It starts with him in boy's school getting bullied by classmates and then punished by his teacher. I didn't get to see the rest but heard that in his adult life (one of the later vignettes) he has some strange psychosexual perversions.

2) A movie from the '70s or '80s about a British nurse who takes care of a US soldier during WWII -- can't remember the name, but it's a two-word Latin phrase, I think. I was sure it was with Ben Gazzara and Deborah Kerr, but I searched both their filmography and couldn't find it. He becomes a successful businessman of some sort, but their marriage goes sour. I recall at one point he chastizes her for continuing to refer to "petrol" instead of "gas" even though they've been married and living in the US for 20 years. Thanks to anyone who can tell me the name of this movie!

3) i seen the film in about 1989 i can just remember certain parts it was a british film i remember some teenagers stealing some big silver getto blasters out of a school and running across an empty playground think it was two boys . there was a group of older children in it who were punks and younger children i remember one of the older boys hid behind a fence and i think one of the younger ones was talking to someone maybe a police man on the other side of the fence and the older boy had a scar on his neck he was scratching it nervously and it started to bleed .think it was the boy with the scar on his neck who lived in a scruffy house and his mam used to hit him.this is all i can remember as it was over 18 years ago when i seen it but remember enjoying it and would really like to know what it was i keep thinking of it lots!

4) This is a British movie about a woman who was framed and sent to an all women's prison. It was more like a dentention house for women. The woman sent to prison was framed for stealing a diamond necklace or bracelet (I think it was slipped in her coat). The "framee" (LOL) was jealous because the woman was talking to a man she fancied so she decided to do the evil deed and frame her. The woman suffered terribly in prison. Her friends and the man she was talking to at the party tried desperately to prove her innocence.

By the clothing and the music I would say this was released in the 60's.

5) Over 20 years ago now, we saw in NZ a black and white British movie about an old fellow who had a strange uncrontrollable hand gesture, but he'd always do it when others weren't looking, so he'd drive them nuts with "there, I just did it". He was assumed to be nuts, and even visited a physchiatrist who, in trying to prove the guy nuts, proved himself to be a pervert and the guy to be probably the most normal guy in the town. He also invented a new mousetrap with a cooking pot -- quite hilarious. We were captivated by the moview at the time and have been trying to find it ever since. Never seems to have been on TV here, but we have no clue what it might be called. Would be thrilled to learn the tile and to find it!! There is a possibility that the lead character was Michael Hordern (??) (or a close look-a-like), but we can't find the likely film in the filmography.

6) I have seen this movie in the 60

A few guys escaped from a jail in Britain during an important football match that distracted the guards.

They introduced themselve in Bank of Britain and printed a lot of banknotes (Stirling Pounds) and then returned to jail.

The following day, the police discoverd the intrusion in Bank of England but all the possible culprits were in jail. What a better alibi ?

Months later the guys were relased from jail and can recover the banknotes they had hide.

Does anybody remember this movie ?

7) I must know the name of this movie it had a girl who went to live with her aunt or something in a house with a ton of clocks, and there was a maypole that these ghost like people would dance around from an underground world. I think I remember their being british accents. Um... there was also a boat she rode to go back in time as she passed through a tunnel. There was a tree carving... I must know the name of this movie its driving me crazy. Anyone know?

8) K I looking for a movie, I am sure it wasn't well known. I believe it would have been from the early 80's. A group of either British or Australian kids (just remember they had accents) find a baby in a remote cabin in the woods. They take turns caring for the baby while still trying to keep up with chores and school. One of the kids has a new sibling at home so that kid sneaks diapers and either milk or formula from home. They fall asleep in class because they are so tired and one kid stays each night with the baby in the cabin. I know they fight to keep it a secret and at the end a man they knew came in a hot air balloon and took the baby away in a happy ending. I remember lots of misty meadows that went up to the edges of the forest. Had about two girls and two boys or so. Random I know, but please help.

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    #6 is positively Robbery (1967). This has been asked before at the Forum I notice:

Robbery (1967) *solved* - Britmovie - British Film Forum

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    name='cornershop15']#6 is positively Robbery (1967). This has been asked before at the Forum I notice:

Robbery (1967) *solved* - Britmovie - British Film Forum

#6 isn't Robbery ..... only one person is sprung from jail and the football match just hosts a meeting and is not a diversion. There is no Bank of England involvement or hidden money to be recovered later.

Spoiler:
    The money is stolen from a train and they are all caught except Stanley Baker who escapes to New York.

It sounds more like Two Way Stretch but the loot is diamonds not cash IIRC.

Liked
    177 times
    I don't know if it's his descriptions but I can't even guess ONE of these nine films. Several of them are from my era but I'm drawing a blank, even #1 and #4 don't ring a bell.

Liked
    255 times
    None of the others strike a chord with me either.

Senior Member Country: England billy farmer's Avatar
    Liked
    308 times
    3) Terry On The Fence (1985) CFF Film

Liked
    177 times
    Brilliant work Billy. A few well known names in this (Susan Jameson, Margery Mason, Marianne Stone):

Terry on the Fence (1985)

One down, EIGHT to go.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Love to see Robbery if anyone has a copy...

Liked
    255 times
    Robbery is available to buy .....

LINK: [ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Robbery-Stanley-Baker/dp/B0019FLTIM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=3597922&sr=1-1]Robbery [1967]: Amazon.co.uk: Stanley Baker, Michael McStay, Frank Finlay, Joanna Pettet, James Booth, Barry Foster, William Marlowe, Clinton Greyn, George Sewell, Patrick Jordan, Peter Yates: DVD[/ame]

Liked
    80 times
    1) A long shot, but could this be The Terence Davies Trilogy (1984)? It comprises three short films he made over a period of years - The Children (1976), Madonna and Child (1980) and Death and Transfiguration (1983). The first and last segments are in black and white and the middle one in colour, I think.

The Children is told in flashback, a gay young man, Robert Tucker, looking back on his Catholic schooldays, where he was bullied by his classmates and caned by a teacher, I believe. The next two films deal with Tucker in middle-age and then on his deathbed (Wilfred Brambell playing him when old). I haven't seen these films, so can't say about Tucker having 'psychosexual perversions', but certainly their theme is about a man trying to come to terms with his homosexuality.

More here:

screenonline: Children (1976)

Euryale.

Liked
    0 times
    2) could be The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp (1943), Deborah Kerr is in it and plays 3 roles - one is a nurse. It covers WWII as well as other conflicts. Not sure about the husband bit but there is a lot of remorseful marriage action in there! It isnt the two word latin you were after - could you be thinking of Quo Vardis which also starred Deborah Kerr? As far as I know Quo vardis covers much earlier history, I think she is a nun in it.

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    name='Aimee']2) could be The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp (1943), Deborah Kerr is in it and plays 3 roles - one is a nurse. It covers WWII as well as other conflicts. Not sure about the husband bit but there is a lot of remorseful marriage action in there! It isnt the two word latin you were after - could you be thinking of Quo Vardis which also starred Deborah Kerr? As far as I know Quo vardis covers much earlier history, I think she is a nun in it.

It doesn't sound anything like Colonel Blimp to me - I don't remember any 'remorseful marriage action' in it and Deborah Kerr doesn't nurse her future husband. Nor does anyone go to the US. As for Quo Vadis - there weren't many nuns around in Nero's time!

Some of these plot summaries seem to have been written by non-native English speakers so they may be misremembering the nationality of the films.

Senior Member Country: Aaland dremble wedge's Avatar
    Liked
    85 times
    I haven't seen it but #4 could be School for Unclaimed Girls?

Liked
    80 times
    name='batman']#6 isn't Robbery ..... only one person is sprung from jail and the football match just hosts a meeting and is not a diversion. There is no Bank of England involvement or hidden money to be recovered later.

Spoiler:
    The money is stolen from a train and they are all caught except Stanley Baker who escapes to New York.

It sounds more like Two Way Stretch but the loot is diamonds not cash IIRC.

In the film version of Porridge (1979), some of the prisoners escape during an inmates v. celebrities football match. Godber and Fletcher get taken along but manage to return to the jail without being missed, IIRC.

Maybe the questioner has run some of these films together in his/her mind.

Euryale.

Liked
    80 times
    8) This has some plot elements in common with The Kidnappers (1953) and its remake The Little Kidnappers (1990).

Euryale.

Liked
    177 times
    name='Purukivel']Howdy

'Howdy' yourself sir!

2) A movie from the '70s or '80s about a British nurse who takes care of a US soldier during WWII -- can't remember the name, but it's a two-word Latin phrase, I think. I was sure it was with Ben Gazzara and Deborah Kerr, but I searched both their filmography and couldn't find it. He becomes a successful businessman of some sort, but their marriage goes sour. I recall at one point he chastizes her for continuing to refer to "petrol" instead of "gas" even though they've been married and living in the US for 20 years. Thanks to anyone who can tell me the name of this movie!

"QB VII" (1974) is the only thing I can think of which connects Ben Gazzara to a Latin-sounding title (Latinesque?). I wish I could be of more help.

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    name='cornershop15']"QB VII" (1974) is the only thing I can think of which connects Ben Gazzara to a Latin-sounding title (Latinesque?). I wish I could be of more help.

I think tha 's it - according to IMDB comments , Gazzara does marry his nurse (Juliet Mills). I haven't seen it since 1974 and I now discover that more or less everyone in it, except Gazzara, is British. Maybe if you'd only seen the first part, it would register as a Brit film about an American flyer who marries his WW nurse.

Liked
    80 times
    5) The uncontrolled hand gesture is a bit like Peter Sellers as Dr. Strangelove (1964).

Euryale.

Liked
    0 times

7) I must know the name of this movie it had a girl who went to live with her aunt or something in a house with a ton of clocks, and there was a maypole that these ghost like people would dance around from an underground world. I think I remember their being british accents. Um... there was also a boat she rode to go back in time as she passed through a tunnel. There was a tree carving... I must know the name of this movie its driving me crazy. Anyone know?

This sounds like Tom's Midnight Garden but there was a children's TV drama with a similar story line but the name escapes me, it was a bit like Moondial

Senior Member Country: UK LocalHero's Avatar
    Liked
    2 times
    I think #5 is a BBC2 play called "You're all right, how am I?" - a two-hander with Denholm Elliott and Michael Hordern.

According to the BFI it was first transmitted in the UK in May 1981 - some info here.

I remember this being on and my Dad thinking it was one of the funniest things he'd ever seen - he was still talking about it years later - particularly the "mousetrap".

Unfortunately I didn't see it myself, but I've heard so much about it that I think this is the one!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast