Liked
    0 times
    Does anybody remember this one? There was a genie which appeared in the back of a shop played by the same actor who also appeared in A Touch Of Frost, an elderly officer who deals in what I can only describe as Archive material. Hugh Paddock had a roll in it as well, I think. Well, the man who worked in the shop had bucked teeth. The title 'Genie and I' springs to mind. This was showing in the early 70s and it's British. Help me someone!

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    Pardon My Genie was the name of the programme. The actor you are thinking of is actually David Jason's brother in real-life, Arthur White.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0379135/

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times

Liked
    177 times
    Why doesn't my link have the title as well?

Liked
    0 times
    name='cornershop15']Pardon My Genie was the name of the programme. The actor you are thinking of is actually David Jason's brother in real-life, Arthur White.

"Pardon My Genie" (1972)

Of course, now I remember. Thanks a million

Liked
    177 times
    Glad to help. I have my first official answer at the Forum!

It's strange how memories appear from a certain age. I was seven in 1972 and can't remember Arthur at all but just a few months later Hugh Paddick became a real favourite as The Genie. Another opportunity to use my BritMovie catchphrase I'm afraid: "Does this show still exist?"

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    name='cornershop15']Why doesn't my link have the title as well?

You have to write the title in. Click on the link icon (the ball and chain thing), paste the url in the box and then write the title in the second box that appears. Good idea to then underline it in the post as links don't show up very well otherwise.

Liked
    177 times
    I know how to do it, Captain, but on this occasion it didn't happen. It must have something to do with us posting the same time.

Liked
    80 times
    name='cornershop15']Glad to help. I have my first official answer at the Forum!

It's strange how memories appear from a certain age. I was seven in 1972 and can't remember Arthur at all but just a few months later Hugh Paddick became a real favourite as The Genie. Another opportunity to use my BritMovie catchphrase I'm afraid: "Does this show still exist?"

It does exist in its entirety.

Euryale.

Liked
    177 times
    Oh thank goodness for that. That is incredible news. I know you're an expert, Euryale, providing many answers here, but when I saw your name just now I thought you were going to give me BAD news. How pleased I am to be proved wrong! But does that mean I/we can look forward to it being made available?

I honestly thought this show might have gone (all of it - like United!). Thanks a lot for the information.

Liked
    80 times
    name='cornershop15']Oh thank goodness for that. That is incredible news. I know you're an expert, Euryale, providing many answers here, but when I saw your name just now I thought you were going to give me BAD news. How pleased I am to be proved wrong! But does that mean I/we can look forward to it being made available?

I honestly thought this show might have gone (all of it - like United!). Thanks a lot for the information.

Hopefully, a little more good news here:

Rent Pardon-My-Genie-Series-1 from Sofa Cinema

Euryale.

Liked
    177 times
    It's amazing news! I honestly can't believe this. Many thanks again.

Liked
    0 times
    name='cornershop15']Glad to help. I have my first official answer at the Forum!

I was eleven in '72 but thinking back all that time ago seems almost like a dream. I recently watched Doctor Who 'Spearhead From Space' and after seeing Ellis Jones for the umpteenth time reminded me where I'd seen him before.

Liked
    177 times
    name='nowhearthis']I was eleven in '72 but thinking back all that time ago seems almost like a dream. I recently watched Doctor Who 'Spearhead From Space' and after seeing Ellis Jones for the umpteenth time reminded me where I'd seen him before.

11 in 1972? Do you remember anything of The Beatles or England's World Cup win?

Ellis Jones appeared in lots of things but the first that comes to mind is always Sunday, Bloody Sunday, where he played a chemist (for about a minute).

Found this thread while Googling:

Pardon My Genie - Britmovie - British Film Forum

[I think my earlier link didn't show up the title because I was using Quick Reply)

Liked
    0 times
    name='cornershop15']11 in 1972? Do you remember anything of The Beatles or England's World Cup win?

Ellis Jones appeared in lots of things but the first that comes to mind is always Sunday, Bloody Sunday, where he played a chemist (for about a minute).

Found this thread while Googling:

Pardon My Genie - Britmovie - British Film Forum

[I think my earlier link didn't show up the title because I was using Quick Reply)

According to my Mum, I would stand in front of the tele holding a saucepan and imitate playing a guitar whilst the Beatles were performing. I do remember the '66 world cup because my Dad was at Wembley and he arrived home plastered. We all carried on partying and I remember helping my Mum put up some bunting in our porch way.

I honestly can't remember EJ in SBS. Must of changed somewhat.

Liked
    177 times
    I DO beg your pardon, I was thinking of Ellis DALE not Ellis Jones (must be the rare first name).

Alf Garnett came home "plastered" from the World Cup Final in the film if you remember.

Senior Member Country: England faginsgirl's Avatar
    Liked
    416 times
    name='cornershop15']Pardon My Genie was the name of the programme. The actor you are thinking of is actually David Jason's brother in real-life, Arthur White.

You learn something new every day. I didn`t know that was his brother

xx

Liked
    177 times
    Well you do now! I think they've been in most if not all the Frost episodes. Arthur plays the man in the archive department and him and David work well together. Apart from that show I only really know him from an episode of Thriller but I can't wait to see Pardon My Genie, thanks to Euryale.

Super Moderator Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    86 times
    Perforated Hardboard!

Nick