Liked
    151 times
    BBC personality made 40 false rape allegations against her ex-boyfriend | Mail Online

A few rumours around the t'internet but I'd be surprised.

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    Has this been picked up by anyone other than the Daily Mail?

Senior Member Country: UK Chevyman's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    name='CaptainWaggett']Has this been picked up by anyone other than the Daily Mail?

Yes. A forum called "Utterbollox" has picked up on it

BBC personality made 40 false rape allegations against her ex-boyfriend - UB:UK

Liked
    0 times
    You obviously don't read the papers, Captain. Virtually every paper has made mention of it.

Liked
    492 times
    name='LukeAFB']You obviously don't read the papers, Captain. Virtually every paper has made mention of it.

Any links? I haven't spotted the story in the Guardian and the only references I can find via the magic of Google News are to the Daily Mail - which seems to have run the story obsessively. I'd be interested to see another viewpoint on it.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    1 times
    The laws in this country are far from equal.

Liked
    11 times
    Once this happens.. I mean a woman takes back a horrendous accusation like that, what is to stop the bloke from then going to the Police and accusing HER of false witness, slander, libel, wasting police time etc...??

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    name='cully']... what is to stop the bloke from then going to the Police and accusing HER of false witness, slander, libel, wasting police time etc...??
    Probably because once she has made the allegations, he is automatically guilty and hasn't a cat's chance in hell of having his complaint upheld or even bothered with.

GRAEME
    If true, this is a terrible story - a horrible ordeal for this guy to go through.

However, let's not lose sight of the fact that the vast majority of rape cases end in acquital - and they are nOT all made up.

In the UK today, the real story on rape is that women get raped and men tend to get away with it!

The misogynist lobby will use a story like this to suggest that most rape allegations are false and that women get away with it...

Senior Member Country: UK Chevyman's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    name='GRAEME']If true, this is a terrible story - a horrible ordeal for this guy to go through.

However, let's not lose sight of the fact that the vast majority of rape cases end in acquital - and they are nOT all made up.

In the UK today, the real story on rape is that women get raped and men tend to get away with it!

The misogynist lobby will use a story like this to suggest that most rape allegations are false and that women get away with it...

.......and a great number of rape cases are never reported

Liked
    492 times
    name='GRAEME']If true, this is a terrible story - a horrible ordeal for this guy to go through.

Well said, Graeme. Assuming this story is true (and I'm still hoping someone will point us to a non-Daily Mail version of it), it seems fairly likely that the woman concerned has mental health problems rather than is just malicious. Let's hope they both get th esupport they need and that the story doesn't put off women from coming forward in real rape cases.

Liked
    0 times
    Captain,

No links, but it was definitely in the Telegraph, Express and Mirror (No I didn't buy the Mirror, I read it over someone's shoulder on the tube).

Liked
    0 times
    name='CaptainWaggett'], it seems fairly likely that the woman concerned has mental health problems rather than is just malicious.

bit of a stretch isn't it? I agree with Graeme's points but lets not speculate with no facts

Liked
    151 times
    name='PS68060']The laws in this country are far from equal.

I do agree. Both parties should have anonymity, a male may leave court innocent but it leaves a certain stigma with many doubting your innocence.

Senior Member Country: England jaycad's Avatar
    Liked
    100 times
    name='DB7']I do agree. Both parties should have anonymity, a male may leave court innocent but it leaves a certain stigma with many doubting your innocence.

i think the same stigma applies to a female losing a rape case whether the claims are false or true.

Liked
    151 times
    name='jaycad']i think the same stigma applies to a female losing a rape case whether the claims are false or true.

Anonymity remains for a female whatever the outcome. I recall John Leslie saying despite being acquitted he never knew the identity of his second accuser. He's a rite pervy so-and-so but just the accusation killed a well-paid job and career stone dead.

Liked
    1 times
    He isn't even allowed to identify himself because that would identify her indirectly.

The law is wrong here.

Senior Member Country: Europe
    Liked
    36 times
    name='PS68060']He isn't even allowed to identify himself because that would identify her indirectly.

The law is wrong here.

It does strike me as being completely against the principles of natural justice that an innocent man should suffer the stigma of "no smoke without fire" in such a case.

I believe that both the accused and the accuser in such cases should be granted anonymity until after the case has been decided. In fact, I'd go so far as to say at least six months [or whatever might be deemed reasonable] after a judgement to allow for any appeal.

Liked
    11 times
    name='Fellwanderer']It does strike me as being completely against the principles of natural justice that an innocent man should suffer the stigma of "no smoke without fire" in such a case.

I believe that both the accused and the accuser in such cases should be granted anonymity until after the case has been decided. In fact, I'd go so far as to say at least six months [or whatever might be deemed reasonable] after a judgement to allow for any appeal.

Yep,I quite agree. In fact, I would be curious to know how and when the law changed to the present disgraceful system. I tend to blame all the evils of modern life on Blair/Brown so I would guess it's happened since 1997...

I'm having a curry with a barrister tonight so will find out.