Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Richard Greene

Liked
    0 times
    Evening, luvvies!

My all-time hero, as a lad, was Richard Greene - as Robin Hood, of course! Does anyone have anecdotes or stories about him, please? I know a lady of 90 whose husband worked behind the scenes on the series, and they have a son - Robin! Sadly she has no real memories of those days at Nettlefold Studios. I saw a little cottage to let - "Robin Hood Cottage" - in Holt, North Norfolk. Apparently it's where he spent the last part of his life, apparently working on ideas for tv programmes.

Johnny

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Panavision
    I saw a little cottage to let - "Robin Hood Cottage" - in Holt, North Norfolk. Apparently it's where he spent the last part of his life, apparently working on ideas for tv programmes.
    Richard spent quite a few years living here in Norfolk ... he was also heavily involved in breeding horses. He suffered a nasty fall in 1981 and during surgery it was discovered that he had a brain tumour. He never fully recovered and died at his home in Holt in 1982.

Senior Member Country: Scotland
    Liked
    1 times
    I remember Richard appearing on The Golden Shot in the celebrity shoot for charity. He hit the bull in less than second, proving just how good he was with a crossbow.

He reminds me of Roger Moore. Both returned to the UK after only moderately successful movie careers in Hollywood. Richard played Robin Hood to great success as did Roger as Ivanhoe. Only Richard was already in his 40s and the show was the pk of his career, while Rog was only in his 20s with The Saint and Bond ahead of him.

Senior Member Country: Scotland julian_craster's Avatar
    Liked
    103 times
    Vetran stars Richard ('Robin Hood') Greene, Michael Dennison, Kathleen Byron and Ann Lynn appear in THE PROFESSIONALS (on ITV4 Freeview) today (Saturday daytime) in a 1979 episode.........

Senior Member Country: Europe
    Liked
    36 times
    I've just discovered that he was the grandson of film pioneer William Friese-Greene.

Along with Ivanhoe, Robin Hood was one of my favourite childhood memories of television.

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fellwanderer

Along with Ivanhoe, Robin Hood was one of my favourite childhood memories of television.
    I just bought the complete series in the Network sale for a fabulous 24p an episode

Liked
    255 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainWaggett
    I just bought the complete series in the Network sale for a fabulous 24p an episode
    You mean you actually sat and worked that out?

Liked
    492 times
    143 episodes for �35 - that's a penny a minute

Liked
    255 times
    I wasn't doubting your maths ..... just amazed you actually bothered to do it!

OK ... by referring to the details on Network's site, how much per episode has my four series of Special Branch cost me?

I paid a tenner each for series 3 and 4 and �12.99 each for the other two.

Your time starts now ......

Senior Member Country: Australia wadsy's Avatar
    Liked
    40 times
    He was on the Morecombe & Wise show in a Robin Hood sketch.

Greene "Who'se that"?

Eric "It's Mutch the miller's son".

Greene " Thats not Mutch".

Eric " What do you expect for 50p"

Greene cracks up laughing, great stuff!

Liked
    492 times
    Quote Originally Posted by batman
    I wasn't doubting your maths ..... just amazed you actually bothered to do it!

OK ... by referring to the details on Network's site, how much per episode has my four series of Special Branch cost me?

I paid a tenner each for series 3 and 4 and �12.99 each for the other two.

Your time starts now ......
    86p an episode so not quite such good value, plus isn't it a bit of a waste having an actor as versatile as Paul Eddington play the same character every week?

I read somewhere that Richard Greene refused to do Robin Hood send-ups. Presumably that's not true?

Senior Member Country: Australia wadsy's Avatar
    Liked
    40 times
    I read somewhere that Richard Greene refused to do Robin Hood send-ups. Presumably that's not true?
    He did one for Eric n Ernie.

Liked
    0 times
    I remember reading somewhere that his ex-wife Patricia Medina said something along the lines of "Rick's been offered Robin Hood but he's not sure that he wants to do it."

Good job he did!

Yes, Fell - his grandad invented moving pics, then he made excellent use of them!

All those images of Alexander Gauge, Archie Duncan, Alan Wheatley, Pat Driscoll, Berndette O'Farrell, Paul Eddington, Victor Woolf...they're all as fresh in my mind as yesterday! Is it something to do with seeing them in one's formative years?

And also, Richard's ashes were scattered at sea, I believe.

Johnny

Senior Member Country: UK Moor Larkin's Avatar
    Liked
    120 times
    He's in many magazines of the past, which I frequently leaf through.

One of them said something to the effect of "he never quite made it in Hollywood"............ As a monochrome child of the Sixties when Robin Hood was as essential as jam sandwiches.....May I suggest a chorus of "Hooray for Hollywood!"......

Liked
    255 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Moor Larkin
    He's in many magazines of the past, which I frequently leaf through.

One of them said something to the effect of "he never quite made it in Hollywood"............ As a monochrome child of the Sixties when Robin Hood was as essential as jam sandwiches.....May I suggest a chorus of "Hooray for Hollywood!"......

He was on the verge of becoming a huge Hollywod star until he came back to Europe at the start of WW2.

"At the peak of his popularity, with a growing resume of critically acclaimed film work, and fan mail rivaling Fox's number one heartthrob, Ty Power, Greene abandoned his studio contract in 1940 and returned to his homeland to aid in the war effort: an admirable personal decision which would have negative professional consequences. Enlisting in the Royal Armoured Corps of the Twenty Seventh Lancers, he distinguished himself throughout World War II eventually becoming a captain. He was discharged in December, 1944. During the war he was given three furloughs to appear in three British propaganda features."

from IMDb

After the war he went back to the US to try and regain his former status but his time had passed. Lucky for us Robin Hood fans that it had.

Senior Member Country: Spain Rowdon's Avatar
    Liked
    143 times
    Not an anecdote, but i caought him last night in a Spanish-dubbed "Castle of Fu Manchu"... very unusual rhythm, that film.

Super Moderator Country: United States wearysloth's Avatar
    Liked
    19 times

Here he is as Captain Scarlett - with nary a Mysteron in sight!

Liked
    255 times
    Quote Originally Posted by wearysloth

Here he is as Captain Scarlett - with nary a Mysteron in sight!
    Great film .... one of my favourite swashbucklers .... cheap, cheesy (and Mexican) but I love it!

Super Moderator Country: United States wearysloth's Avatar
    Liked
    19 times

Richard "Robin Hood" Greene trades his Lincoln Green cape for a nifty red number in this Robin Hood-in-everything-but-name ripoff. Quite fun, although I'd leave sour leading lady Amar with the evil Sheriff of Not...er...Duke de Corlaine.

was my thought on the film.

Senior Member Country: England billy farmer's Avatar
    Liked
    308 times
    A TV Times article about Richard Greene from the October 5th - 11th 1968 issue of TV Times.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast