Thread: Sports Stories

Senior Member Country: Canada
    Liked
    5 times
    This was a TV series, perhaps late 60s early 70s. Each episode involved some sort of investigation into something sports related.

It is not Hold The Back Page (with David Warner)

I remember one episode about a bike race - could be the tour de France - where cyclist(s) were poisoned by something in their drinks bottles.

I have an idea an actor once of Corronation Street played the lead part but I'm not 100%.

Liked
    80 times
    name='BristolUK']This was a TV series, perhaps late 60s early 70s. Each episode involved some sort of investigation into something sports related.

It is not Hold The Back Page (with David Warner)

I remember one episode about a bike race - could be the tour de France - where cyclist(s) were poisoned by something in their drinks bottles.

I have an idea an actor once of Corronation Street played the lead part but I'm not 100%.

I'm wondering if Stephen Laws has provided the answer in a recent post - here is a synopsis from Memorabletv.com:

CRIME BUSTER

ATV / x60m-e / 1968 black and white

Producer: Jack Williams

Drama. A sports journalist involves himself in uncovering shady practices in various sports.

Ray Saxon......................................... MARK EDEN

Mark did appear in Coronation Street in the '80s playing Alan Bradley.

E.

Senior Member Country: Canada
    Liked
    5 times
    Just found this reply - thanks.

That seems to be it.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    4 times
    Mark Eden is one of those actors whose career never really took off. He was great in THE PLEASURE GIRLS, CURSE OF THE CRIMSON ALTAR, DR ZHIVAGO, BLIND CORNER, and practically every cult TV show from MAN IN A SUITCASE onwards, but then disappeared back into bit parts until his resurrection as a Corrie baddie- a role which, like Brian Capron, he will now be forever identified with. Better than the fate of disappearing into obscurity altogether I suppose, which befell similarly talented performers like Simon Brent, Christian Roberts, Richard O'Callaghan, Karl Lanchbury and Martin Potter- but still infuriating. Still, I guess that even when British cinema was booming, there just wasn't enough work to go round.