Banned Country: UK
    Liked
    6 times
    I bought a new CD today which was great, only to find that the music was entirely different to what I remember,what I found at the very bottom (in very small writing that you would need a magnifying glass to read ) was "this cd has tracks that have been either re recorded or some of the members of the band do not appear on this cd" which is understandable I suppose,my question is this if there are not the Original recordings that I remember then why release them ? after all it can not be a rights issue to the songs as they appear on the cd So why can't they release the originals in the first place ?

Anyone else come across these type of cds at all ?

Liked
    4 times
    There are loads of such CDs to be found : sometimes it's just one original member (maybe even the drummer!) with new companions, trading under the old name. The reason for doing new recordings is that the old hit ones remain the property of the record company to which the band was once signed.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    2 times
    my mother buys a load of those and theyre trash ! i would rather have one album by the original artists than a dozen of those

Senior Member Country: Vietnam hankoler's Avatar
    Liked
    5 times
    When you look for CDs like this always look for the words, "ORIGINAL RECORDINGS," on the information if it doesn't have that leave well alone.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain vincenzo's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    Another unforgiveable act often occurred in the 70's. K-Tel, Ronco, Arcade, Warwick (etc) would release compilation albums of chart hits and then heavily edited them so that they could fit on the album. Either rapidly fading the tracks out or even excluding entire verses.

Admittedly in the cases of Boney M recordings it wasn't necessarily a bad thing.....

Senior Member Country: Ireland Edward G's Avatar
    Liked
    107 times
    Always check the small print!

If you see a rather fetching 6-CD box set like "100 Monster Hits of the 70's" for only �9.99 then you have to ask yourself can they really be the originals? Some groups reform for the nostalgia tours or revisit the studio when their careers are in decline (usually with different line-ups). Lower royalties for these recordings mean labels can then offer this dross at an apparently "bargain" price, only for the unfortunate punter to quickly realise that the result doesn't match the memory. Even if you don't intend to buy the item from Amazon read all the feedback on the album on their site. Other customers will share their exerience to warn people off repeating their mistake.

Biggest offenders on the "Not quite the originals" are :

TV theme compilations (The Sid Shuttleworth Chamber Of Pops)

70's or 80's Pop compilations (May be re-recordered featuring members of the original line-up, thier friends and relatives)

Movie theme compilations (Performed by the Silva Screen Philharmonia of Uzbeckestahn)

As ever, if it looks too good to be true, it probably is!

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    And you will find, again in small print, songs that were recorded live.

Liked
    0 times
    name='Edward G']

TV theme compilations (The Sid Shuttleworth Chamber Of Pops)

...I once fell foul of this with a CD that I assumed featured original TV themes, only to notice when I got the disc home that the music was performed by 'The London Theatre Orchestra'. It actually turned out to be a bloke playing a synthesiser!

Liked
    107 times
    Ha Ha! The nightmare scenario! Maybe the keyboard was real but the bloke was synthetic

name='Husky']...I once fell foul of this with a CD that I assumed featured original TV themes, only to notice when I got the disc home that the music was performed by 'The London Theatre Orchestra'. It actually turned out to be a bloke playing a synthesiser!

Liked
    107 times
    Sadly, one knows this from experience....

name='Dandelion']And you will find, again in small print, songs that were recorded live.

Banned Country: UK
    Liked
    6 times
    What happens if you have cds that are not Original Recordings and is not stated on the cover,are they legally required to state that or not ?

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    A big selling and tv advertised compilation CD issued last year, Dreamboats and Petticoats, had on it 52 classic hit records from the 50s & 60s but two of those songs were Re Recordings - Craig Douglas' "Only Sixteen" and Pat Boone's "Love Letters in the Sand". A Dreamboats and Petticoats II CD was released just before last Christmas but I don't know if the same thing occured on that album.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    The "Poundland" stores sell a lot of these types of CD. I have been caught out myself but for a quid I don't mind.

Over the years I have got some pretty good stuff from the same place.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    I picked up an excellent cd by Steppenwolf at a garage for 49p ..... it had re-recordings of all their classic songs and is really well worth having.