......for his work as a director

LINK BBC NEWS | Entertainment | Eastwood receives Palme d'Or gong

Liked
    137 times
    Congratulations and long overdue IMHO

GRAEME
    I love Clint.

But really?

The only director to get this other than Ingmar Bergman??

Not Scorsese, Coppola, Spielberg, Polanski...

I think he makes excellent, controlled, unfussy films. Unforgiven and The Outlaw Josey Wales are among the finest westerns ever made.

But is he really in this company?

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='GRAEME']I love Clint.

But really?

The only director to get this other than Ingmar Bergman??

Not Scorsese, Coppola, Spielberg, Polanski...

I think he makes excellent, controlled, unfussy films. Unforgiven and The Outlaw Josey Wales are among the finest westerns ever made.

But is he really in this company?

Shouldn't you ask if they are in his company?

He got the special Palme d'or, they didn't

Steve

Senior Member Country: Scotland narabdela's Avatar
    Liked
    20 times
    name='GRAEME']But is he really in this company?

Yes, he is.

(imho of course)

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    69 times
    A true giant of the film industry.

Ta Ta

Marky B

Liked
    0 times
    Made a great transition from actor to director.

GRAEME
    name='Marky B']A true giant of the film industry.

Ta Ta

Marky B

He is - and I'm only playing devil's advocate - but not really as a director. He is a great film star but only a fine director. I'm just suggesting that it is strange to award him this and only Bergman before him - when so many much greater directors have not received it. Can anybody seriously say that Eastwood is currently the greates director alive? Even as a huge Eastwood fan, I think this is hyperbolic.

I don't argue with festooning him with awards, however. But why hasn't Scorsese had one, just as an example?

Senior Member Country: Aaland dremble wedge's Avatar
    Liked
    85 times
    name='GRAEME']He is - and I'm only playing devil's advocate - but not really as a director. He is a great film star but only a fine director. I'm just suggesting that it is strange to award him this and only Bergman before him - when so many much greater directors have not received it. Can anybody seriously say that Eastwood is currently the greates director alive? Even as a huge Eastwood fan, I think this is hyperbolic.

I don't argue with festooning him with awards, however. But why hasn't Scorsese had one, just as an example?

I suspect that he's getting it as much for longevity as anything else - he'll be 79 this year and doesn't seem to be slowing down - and it's much sexier to give Clint an award than say Sidney Lumet or Scorcese, because he's Clint Eastwood and they're not.

Fab as he is, I wouldn't say he's the best director alive either (I remember The Rookie!), but if you hang around long enough awards fall into your lap. Why else would the Spanish film industry have given a Lifetime Achievement Goya award to Jesus Franco this month?

GRAEME
    name='dremble wedge']I suspect that he's getting it as much for longevity as anything else - he'll be 79 this year and doesn't seem to be slowing down - and it's much sexier to give Clint an award than say Sidney Lumet or Scorcese, because he's Clint Eastwood and they're not.

Fab as he is, I wouldn't say he's the best director alive either (I remember The Rookie!), but if you hang around long enough awards fall into your lap. Why else would the Spanish film industry have given a Lifetime Achievement Goya award to Jesus Franco this month?

I forgot about Lumet! What a great director - I saw his latest Before the Devil Knows Your Dead and it was a great stylish drama and thriller by no means an"old man's film". The Hill, Twelve Angry Men, Dog Day Afternoon... Here is a body of work worth celebrating.

I think Clint is a lesser director. Yeah, The Rookie. Absolute Power. Firefox! I think it might be the shock of the fact that a great movie star like Eastwood can also become a very good director of popular films. It is the combination of the acting and directing at the top of the game that makes Clint almost unique.

Only Redford comes close and he tends to make smaller pictures that are often rather too arty to be really mainstream. Eastwood is a genre star who went on to be a genre director and then broadened out - he makes for more interesting theses!

Liked
    0 times
    I saw Gran Torino yesterday.I wont spoil this for any of you who havent seen Gran Torino but Eastwood literally goes out with a bang.The end really is lump in throat time.Worth going to see

Senior Member Country: England Santonix's Avatar
    Liked
    3 times
    name='orpheum']I saw Gran Torino yesterday.I wont spoil this for any of you who havent seen Gran Torino but Eastwood literally goes out with a bang.The end really is lump in throat time.Worth going to see

Totally agree a good film, well worth watching.

Senior Member Country: England Captain Casper's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    I saw Gran Torino a while ago. Definately Eastwoods finest film both as actor and director.

Highly recommended.

Liked
    69 times
    name='Captain Casper']I saw Gran Torino a while ago. Definately Eastwoods finest film both as actor and director.

Highly recommended.

Pity it is too late for the Oscars!

Ta Ta

Marky B

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    name='GRAEME']Eastwood is a genre star who went on to be a genre director and then broadened out - he makes for more interesting theses!

I can see it now .... 'Investigate The Changing Role of Women in the Films Of Clint Eastwood'.

Clint fully deserves the award. He has been making excellent films as a director for nearly forty years .... admittedly there have been some clunkers, but with such a diverse and interesting body of work under his belt he is IMHO right up there on the list of 'greats' as both film star and film director ..... he's very under-rated as an actor too IMHO.

Senior Member Country: Scotland
    Liked
    0 times
    That�s great news. He deserves it, one of the best directors around. I�ve allways been a big fan of Eastwood. Today my wife and i went to see his latest movie Gran Torino it was well worth the journey to Glasow. If you have not seen it do so.

I read somewhere that he has indecated this is his last acting role. I do hope not he just gets better. He trully is one of the greats.

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    1 times
    name='GRAEME']I think Clint is a lesser director. Yeah, The Rookie. Absolute Power. Firefox!

Not to mention "Bronco Billy" and "Honkytonk Man"

That said, he's done some pretty terrific work.

GRAEME
    name='James Fox']Not to mention "Bronco Billy" and "Honkytonk Man"

That said, he's done some pretty terrific work.

Never seen HTM - the subject matter sdepresses me.

But must disagree about the divine Bronco Billy - one of his best, most personal movies IMHO. An absolute delight. Not to be tarred with the Any Which Way But... brush.

We can, obviously, agree about him having done "some pretty terrific work" - if not on the specifics!

Senior Member Country: England Captain Casper's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    name='Marky B']Pity it is too late for the Oscars!

Ta Ta

Marky B

Yeah, but the Slumdog and Winslet loveathon would have swamped it anyway.

Liked
    0 times
    name='James Fox']Not to mention "Bronco Billy" and "Honkytonk Man"

I like them both, and I'm sure Clint is proud of them too. He has made a few clunkers (largely to keep the studio happy) but these aren't among them.

I wonder who is the finest working director. Scorsese can still make decent films - THE DEPARTED, THE AVIATOR - but he's no longer the great director that made the likes of MEAN STREETS and TAXI DRIVER, and Coppola has become a really sad case of the artist in decline...just making my way through the "Masters of Horror" box sets and it's equally sad to see what the directors of 70's horror classics like HALLOWEEN, SUSPIRIA and THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE are now churning out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast