Thread: Assignment Help

Liked
    0 times
    Hi guys

I have a question for my British Cinema university assignment that i hope you could help me a little with.

basically there is one of 3 parts that i can answer, i have chosen this one:

Analyse the characteristic output of ONE British studio or star of the 1940s - 1980s with attention to the representation of 'Britishness' in the film texts with CLOSE REFERENCE to ONE film

i have a few ideas,

Two obvious choices for studios would be either Ealing Studios or Pinewood Studios.

Both are very well established studios, Ealing mainly because of the carry on films and pinewood because of the long running james bond, 007 franchise.

Actors i thought would be Sean Connery (even though he is scottish) because, he is without a doubt the best bond even though there are quite a few other bond actors worth mentioning i.e. Roger Moore, maybe Timothy Dalton.

Anthony Hopkins is a very good actor although he didnt do a great deal pre 1980 worth mentioning.

Peter Sellers?

Ray Winstone?

let me know what you think,

Thanks

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    As he is a Scotsman, Sean Connery is British .... Hopkins was born a Welshman (also British) and is now a US citizen.

Hopkins CV prior to 1980 is littered with impressive performances such as in Magic and The Elephant Man.

Ray Winstone didn't do much of note prior to the 80s apart from Scum.

IMHO Olivier would be a good choice ..... he was part of the classical acting elite but became involved in the 'kitchen sink' era via The Entertainer.

Senior Member Country: Ireland fluddite's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Ealing straddles the first part of your period beautifully, there's a lot of stuff available on DVD, they covered a wide range of genres and they foregrounded notions of national identity like no other Brit studio except (arguably) Hammer. Gainsborough were also interesting. So (in all sorts of different ways) were Hemdale. Rank would cover virtually the entire timeframe - their final production being Roeg's Bad Timing (1980), which is one of my all-time favourites (and was at one point The Story Of My Life, but let's not go there now....)

Stars? How about Alec Guinness, Trevor Howard, Richard Attenborough (also a director, of course), Stanley Baker, Laurence Harvey, Albert Finney, Anna Massey, the great Diana Dors....

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    That Peter Sellers doesn't seem to have done much in the 1980s.

Maybe because he died in 1980

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    one thing i thought i would include in the assignment is to define the term 'Britishness', who would you think would be perfect stereotypically british actors/actresses?

my idea of a true brit actor would probably be Basil Fawlty or Ronny Barker, the real heart and soul of Britishness and comedy

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    name='dan_2k']

my idea of a true brit actor would probably be Basil Fawlty

Did you know that Basil Fawlty isn't actually an actor, but is a character created by John Cleese and Connie Booth.

Liked
    0 times
    i know that!!! i meant as in basil fawlty the character! as John Cleese portraying a mad englishman

Liked
    0 times
    name='Steve Crook']That Peter Sellers doesn't seem to have done much in the 1980s.

Maybe because he died in 1980

Steve

Yea my question was aimed at between 1940 and 1980 if you read carefully to which Peter Sellers has just under 80 films under his belt

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='dan_2k']Yea my question was aimed at between 1940 and 1980 if you read carefully to which Peter Sellers has just under 80 films under his belt

I was only teasing. But "the 1940s - 1980s" is usually taken as to include all of the 1980s, all the way up to 1989

Steve

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    If you're taking Ealing as your studio, the obvious actor would be Alec Guinness, one of the few actors who played starring roles from the 1940s to the 1980s (though of course Ealing closed much earlier than that). or you could be daring and choose a female star - maybe Margaret Lockwood or Googie Withers or Joan Greenwood? if the latter, there's plenty of interesting comments to be made about nationality in Whisky Galore or Kind Hearts and Coronets.