Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times

Ooops! I completely forgot to mention that Michael Hordern, another all-time favourite actor. is in the cast. I noticed Warren Mitchell's name in the title sequence also, but didn't spot him in the film - anybody know which role he played?
    when Burton attacked Lee in the shop,Warren Mitchell was the husband to the foreign lady who was buying goods on credit

Senior Member Country: Ireland
    Liked
    4 times
    Oh well spotted, thanks Stevie - I looked up the cast list on IMDB after I posted the query, but couldn't remember the character or at what point in the film he'd appeared. Like everything else in the London section of the film, I was very impressed by that grocery shop set – it looks exactly like small grocery shops as I remember them in the 60s, in the days before self-service mini marts and supermarkets. Likewise, the Labour Exchange, which looks authentically drab and dreary (pre JobcenterPlus!), as if shot on location, though I presume that it’s also a set, with great attention to detail.

Liked
    0 times
    I think this is one of the best ever. John le Carre is one of the best mystery writers and I have several of his books. Love reading a book and then seeing the film to understand the disparties between.

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    I have just seen this film, on DVD, for the first time in at least 20 years. Very well-made and acted with great B&W photography and several memorable close-ups of Richard Burton among it's merits. While I was watching, I kept my computer on to help me with the cast details. IMDB is wrong about Richard Caldicott and Michael Ripper having their scenes deleted: Richard was the Labour Exchange man who found Alec Leamas (Richard Burton) a job as a library assistant, while Michael's role was as Leamas' replacement at the library. I very much doubt their scenes were cut for other releases as they were only present for a few seconds.

I know this film very well but was pleasantly surprised to see faces who've become well-known to me now, including Richard Caldicott. The Turkish actor Steve Plytas, who often played light roles (even his villains), turned up as the third judge in the tribunal, sitting on Beatrix Lehmann's left, with Esmond Knight the other side. And Niall MacGinnis appeared right at the beginning as a Checkpoint Guard.

However, even with my keen eye for spotting actors, I couldn't find Philip Madoc ('Young German Officer'), Walter Gotell as 'Holten (unless he was the man who arrested Peter Van Eyck), and even ITC regular David Bauer as a 'Young Judge'. While I'm away during the Summer I will be screencapping several films, including this one, so I will try and be even more sharp-eyed as I scrutinise every frame! Unless, of course, someone has spotted these stars and can tell me where they appear?

P.S. Why isn't that trailer on the DVD?

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    I have just seen this film, on DVD, for the first time in at least 20 years.

While I was watching, I kept my computer on to help me with the cast details. IMDB is wrong about Richard Caldicott and Michael Ripper having their scenes deleted: Richard was the Labour Exchange man who found Alec Leamas (Richard Burton) a job as a library assistant, while Michael's role was as Leamas' replacement at the library. I very much doubt their scenes were cut for other releases as they were only present for a few seconds.
    Well spotted. I've submitted this to the IMDb to ask that they removed the "scenes deleted" tags. In case they ask, which DVD was this?

Steve

Liked
    177 times
    Well spotted. I've submitted this to the IMDb to ask that they removed the "scenes deleted" tags. In case they ask, which DVD was this?

Steve
    Paramount Home Entertainment (2006, Region 2). No extras unfortunately.

Liked
    418 times
    Paramount Home Entertainment (2006, Region 2). No extras unfortunately.
    Thanks. No extras, just a great film

Steve

Liked
    4 times
    No one on this thread seems to have noticed the Criterion DVD - a stunning transfer on Disc 1, plus a host of extras on Disc 2 includling interviews with Le Carre, a rare TV conversation between Burton and Kenneth Tynan and an audio interview with Martin Ritt. Lots of other stuff plus a commentary on the movie by Oswald Morris.

Liked
    177 times
    No one on this thread seems to have noticed the Criterion DVD - a stunning transfer on Disc 1, plus a host of extras on Disc 2 includling interviews with Le Carre, a rare TV conversation between Burton and Kenneth Tynan and an audio interview with Martin Ritt. Lots of other stuff plus a commentary on the movie by Oswald Morris.
    Hello Adrian,

I've just found it on Amazon US. Thanks very much for that information. It's far too expensive at $34.99, however, so I will wait until that gets below �20, assuming it's going to be released here (November 2008 over there). Is there a gallery of stills and publicity material in addition to the one for set designs? I have a few from books and the Internet but am hoping the DVD has some rare photos, like the Ipcress and Quiller releases.

A pity I didn't know about this two-disc version before buying the (now inferior) copy I watched a couple of days ago.

Liked
    4 times
    I'm afraid Criterion DVDs are never released in the UK, so you either buy it direct from the US, as I do, through a highly efficient outfit called dvdpacific or you go without. Yes, there are stills, a booklet, an essay, the works. Criterion's packaging and artwork is second to none and that is reflected in the price. Their own website is well worth a look, too.

Liked
    177 times
    That's great news about the stills. I have no problems buying the DVD from Amazon US, apart from the cost, though still hope for a release here, and will have a look at Criterion's other releases later. Thanks again.

The interview with Kenneth Tynan, by the way, is available on YouTube. I watched it via the first YouTube link in message #1, which has the trailer. This explains how the YT poster got hold of them, something I didn't realise until Adrian notified me of the Region 1 DVD's contents.

Liked
    418 times

Steve
    It's been corrected on the IMDb. They're no longer marked as (scenes deleted)

Steve

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    23 times
    From the Rick C 1960's bookshelf of film tie-in material, here's the 1965 Pan Books edition to go with the film's release in that year. Can anyone notice something different, or am I missing something?

Liked
    0 times
    Brilliant film and one of my favourites!

Liked
    1 times
    Who is Laeamas's driver here. The Character's name is Pawson and IMdB have him listed as being played by Graham Armitage. The actor in the actual film is a familiar face to me, but I can't place him at the moment.

Liked
    22 times
    Graham Armitage's hair is parted on the other side but I know what you mean about the driver looking familiar, either way a great film

Liked
    177 times
    Sorry I can't help you with identifying this actor, Hugh. I thought our mystery friend might be Peter Carsten but have been reminded (at The Actors Compendium) that it isn't him either. He could well be one of those German/Austrian actors we've seen in other British films and TV shows around that time, so he'll probably turn up in something else where he is credited.

I've looked at the cast in the Film Review annual from that time and it matches IMDb's, with the exception of Graham Armitage* and Philip 'Badoc', who is obviously Madoc. I wonder what made whoever submitted the entry think Pawson was played by Graham? This obviously incorrect information is repeated at several sites.

*You might remember him as Quentin Crisp's boss in The Naked Civil Servant and the camp Theatre director in the Randall & Hopkirk episode which had Dick Bentley as a magician and Liz Fraser as his assistant. I remember him best though as the son of both Madge Ryan in an episode of Public Eye and Ronnie Barker in the pilot for sitcom My Old Man.
    Last edited by cornershop15; 05-12-10 at 01:53 AM.

Senior Member Country: Australia wadsy's Avatar
    Liked
    40 times
    I'm pretty sure he is English. One of those upper class twit type characters but I'm sure I've seen him as a villain

in one of the ITC series. Frustratingly familiar!

Liked
    1 times
    Well, thanks chaps for giving it some thought.

As wadsy says, he normally plays upper classes, I've half a recollection of our mystery man being in 19th century military uniform, but as to what film that would be, I'm flummoxed at the moment. It looks as if it's going to be a question of just coming across him in another role.

I do indeed remember Graham, in The Naked Civil Servant, cornershop, not too familiar with the other roles you mention, as I haven't seen them in an age.

The IMdb listing of David Bauer as the "young judge" is imo, a case of mistaken identity, mixing him up with Steve Plytas. That's interesting about Philip Badoc, cornershop, like you, I've been over the film with a fine tooth comb and haven't been able to pinpoint the instantly recognisable Philip Madoc.

Thanks again

Liked
    22 times
    At the risk of confusing the issue, did he play a Nazi officer in something or other?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast