Liked
    0 times
    Hi, i was wondering if anyone could help me in naming a film thats been wrecking my head for about 10 yrs!

Never saw the start of this film, but it is definitely british, set in the north of england and it concerns 2 or 3 children 2 girls and possibly 1 boy although im not certain as to whether the boy was definitely in the film as my memory is hazy on that!

Anyhow what i recall about the plot is the children have either pawned, sold, or have brought a doll to a doll shop to get it fixed. But they go back to this shop to get the doll back and somehow they get locked inside the shop. As the story goes on and night falls, the dolls that surround them become fairly sinister looking.

I don't know if the dolls begin to move, i don't think they do, but the fear factor lies in the children being trapped in this horrible place.

plz plz help! I would love to see this film again!

BTW- The kids have got strong north of england accents, but which region? I don't know!

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi

It could be the 1987 film 'The Magic Toyshop' starring Tom Bell but that was set in London, but I'm not sure if it was set in the 50's?, synopsis: 'After her parents are killed, a young girl is sent to London to live with her uncle and his family. Her uncle, who is a toymaker, secretly has the power to make his toys come to life, but he also maintains dictatorial control over his family and intends to exercise the same control over the new arrival'

David

Liked
    0 times
    H Davoo!

Thanks for your suggestion but i'm afraid thats not it because it was definitely made 1950 ish. Though i am wondering if your 1987 film is a remake?, I'm going to check that out!

Liked
    0 times
    No it doesn't seem like a remake of the film i am after. As far as i remember there wasn't a sexual element in the film that i saw.

Thanks again for checking around.

Liked
    0 times
    There is a possibility that the shop was infact a rag and bone merchants. Someone suggested that on another site, its a possibility but i do remember there being a lot of dolls sittong around.

Liked
    0 times
    I recall stumbling into something like this, but it was more late '60s / early '70s era, and definitely in colour.

Liked
    0 times
    The film i saw was definitely black and white. Though perhaps there may have been a remake, i don't know?

I am using 1950's as a guess, though it could have been 1940's.

I don't remember the shop or business owner so i have no memory of what he or she looks like.

Someone once told me that they remembered something like this, but the mother of the kids gave the doll to this man and this is why they called upon him to get it back from him. Does this ring any bells with anyone? It might not be the same film, but i would like to find out if it is or not!

Thanks again!

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    4 times
    Sounds like Bert I Gordon's ATTACK OF THE PUPPET PEOPLE, only that was American.

The thing is, I know pretty much every British horror film made in the 1950s, and that isn't one of them- leading me to believe that if it is a UK production from that era, then it is more likely to be a play or episode of a series. If this is the case, then it may not even exist anymore, as many things back then were 'junked', so it may be difficult to confirm its identity.

Liked
    0 times
    Hi Jack, thanks for your info.

I could swear that it was british, but i am going to check that american film out. Also i definitely saw it about 10 yrs ago so if it is a film, it's out there somewhere. I never saw the start of it so i have no idea how long it is, perhaps it is more likely a short or an episode of a tv show. Possibly decade is wrong, it may be earlier than 50's. It was definitely B&W and it was a talkie.

Liked
    0 times
    No it's definitely not Attack of the puppet people, there was no oversized dolls or puppets. Also the victims were not adults. I guess i am never going to find it! I wish i had just looked in a tv guide book at the time and jotted down the programme or film. Silly me!