Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    The Stage reports the death of this familiar actor.

The Stage / News / Sexton Blake star Payne dies

Actor Laurence Payne, who won fame on television as the 1920s detective Sexton Blake, has died at the age of 89.

Sexton Blake, made by ITV, ran from 1967-1971 and was one of the most popular children's serials of its day. It also featured actors Roger Foss and Ernest Clark.

Payne had a distinguished stage career before working in television and in the 1940s was a leading player with the Old Vic Theatre. He also starred at Stratford-upon-Avon and appeared as Romeo in Peter Brook's 1947 production. He played the title role in Hamlet at the Embassy Theatre in London.

Other TV credits included Z Cars, Tales of the Unexpected and he also starred in three Doctor Who serials: The Gunfighters, The Leisure Hive and The Two Doctors.

He died on February 23, 2009. A full obituary will appear in The Stage newspaper.

Imdb entry :

Laurence Payne

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    Oh no, not another one ..... I loved SB and IMHO Laurence's performance in Train of Events was terrific. RIP sir.

Senior Member Country: England Harbottle's Avatar
    Liked
    92 times
    Yes indeed an excellent performance in Train of Events, still have hazy memories of enjoying Sexton Blake as a child too. Sad news

Senior Member Country: UK Windthrop's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    Always made an impact - he was superb in a version of The Tell-Tale Heart. I also liked his novels. RIP

Senior Member Country: United States torinfan's Avatar
    Liked
    71 times
    RIP Mr. Payne.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    69 times
    Sad news. I remember him too as Sexton Blake.

Laurence Payne,R.I.P.

Mark

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    I echo the Bat's sentiments, surely the worst year yet for celebrity deaths. I fondly remember Payne's television appearances in the 1950s & 1960s, especially in The Trollenberg Terror.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain vincenzo's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    Payne was also excellent as the vampire-killing Professor Mueller in Hammer's bizarre but underrated Vampire Circus.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    1 times
    The film "Girl in the Headlines" starring Ian Hendry was based on a book of his. Back in the 1980s when Laurence was still living in Wimbledon he and I corresponded for a year or so and he struck me as being a kind man but someone who felt he should have had better roles and more recognition in his long career. He was going through "writers block" at the time and had been doing radio drama work and thought some of the roles were too small for an actor of his experience. As a result he left the BBC drama company and I cannot recall him doing anymore for them.

His main work was theatre and although he did appear in some cracking films he was not a huge star. However, he was a big star to me as I sat and watched every one of his Sexton Blake series.

It is very sad to think he has gone, RIP

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    R.I.P. Laurence........

Does anyone have a pic of Laurence they could post please, as I can't think of what he looks like

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    Laurence in his role as Sexton Blake with Roger Foss as 'Tinker'.

Senior Member Country: England Santonix's Avatar
    Liked
    3 times
    Sad news, I too will remember him as Sexton Blake. R.I.P.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    Quote Originally Posted by batman
    Laurence in his role as Sexton Blake with Roger Foss as 'Tinker'.

Thanks for the pic Bats

Liked
    44 times
    At last the press have published an obit after a shameful delay

Here's one from todays Guardian

http://http://www.guardian.co.uk/cul...laurence-payne

Liked
    0 times
    Hi !!

I was saddened by the news that Laurence Payne had died. I loved him in Sexton Blake and remember him as a child in that television series.

May he rest in peace !

Gillian

Liked
    44 times
    Heres the obit from the Telegraph

http://http://www.telegraph.co.uk/ne...nce-Payne.html

Senior Member Country: Scotland julian_craster's Avatar
    Liked
    103 times
    Laurence Payne

Laurence Payne, who has died aged 89, was a stage, film and television actor best known for his portrayal on television of the detective Sexton Blake.

DT

09 Mar 2009

Laurence Payne as Lt Seaton in the film Mystery Submarine (1962)

[which also starred Edward Judd.....]

Laurence Payne, who has died aged 89, was a stage, film and television actor best known for his portrayal on television of the detective Sexton Blake.

Payne played the part for four years during the late 1960s and early 1970s solving more than 60 crimes with his assistant Tinker and bloodhound Pedro.

A small, athletic man, Payne was an excellent swordsman � an attribute which had brought him parts in films such as Dangerous Exile (1957), in which he attempted to kidnap the exiled Louis XVII. It was during rehearsals for an episode of Sexton Blake in 1968 that he was blinded in his left eye by a rapier during a sword fight with an actor who had never fenced before.

"It was a disaster," he recalled. "I was practising the duel. We were in the middle of a really violent stage fight when he gave me a wrong stroke, and his sword went straight in my eye. I was in hospital for four weeks. I was trained to duel at the Old Vic, and I absolutely adore it."

Laurence Stanley Payne was born in London on June 5 1919, the son of a carpenter who died when Laurence was four. The family fell on hard times, and his mother had to go to work as a cleaner. His interest in acting was ignited by a Western, The Three Godfathers, in which a dying man recited the "Tomorrow" speech from Macbeth. "Shakespeare," Payne later said, "became my God." While still a pupil at Tottenham Grammar School he formed an amateur dramatic company.

His first job, however, was as a clerk for a flower importer in the City. Then, in 1939, he joined the Old Vic Dramatic School under a new scholarship scheme, initially sharing a caravan with a friend. Parts slowly began to materialise, leading to his appearance as Romeo opposite Nova Pilbeam's Juliet. He helped to run the Chanticleer theatre in Kensington, and in 1944 he married Laurence Olivier's cousin, Sheila Burrell.

In 1947 Payne was invited to Stratford-on-Avon, where he played Romeo in Peter Brook's Romeo and Juliet and Berowne in Love's Labours Lost.

Two years later he made his film debut in Train of Events, as the German reluctant to return home who is befriended by the chirpy cockney Joan Dowling.

In 1951, at the Bristol Old Vic, he gave an exemplary performance as Gaston, the First World War soldier who has spent 18 years in an asylum, in Jean Anouilh's Traveller Without Luggage; the next year he excelled as Fadinard in An Italian Straw Hat, and he was a much-praised Tybalt in Romeo and Juliet at the Old Vic.

On television Payne appeared as d'Artagnan in several episodes of The Three Musketeers; he was Orpheus in Vale of Shadows; Troilus in The Face of Love; and Ivor Novello in The Novello Story.

Payne played Joseph in Ben Hur (1959), alongside Charlton Heston. "I loathed making films," he said later. "But Ben Hur was different. William Wyler was a wonderful director and fantastic to work for."

His other films included Glad Tidings (1953), Ill Met By Moonlight (1957), starring Dirk Bogarde, and Vampire Circus, a horror film set in a plague-ridden village in 1825. He also co-starred in The Trollenberg Terror (1958) as a journalist fascinated by a monster who stalks the Alps ripping off people's heads.

As a schoolboy, before he fell in love with the idea of acting, Payne had harboured ambitions to be a writer, and in 1960 he published a detective story, The Nose on My Face, which three years later was turned into a film as Girl in the Headlines (1963), starring Ian Hendry. He continued to write until 1987, producing a total of 11 thrillers.

Laurence Payne died on February 23. His first marriage ended in divorce, as did his second, to the actress Pamela Alan. He is survived by his third wife, the equestrian writer Judith Draper.

Liked
    137 times
    More sad news, R I P Mr P.

Liked
    0 times
    very sad news only watched laurence the other day alongside susan stephen in a great little film the court martial of major keller R.I.P laurence

Senior Member Country: Scotland julian_craster's Avatar
    Liked
    103 times
    From The Times

March 24, 2009

Laurence Payne: actor and writer

Laurence Payne in Sexton Blake

Laurence Payne first made his name on the postwar stage as the romantic lead in Shakespeare, then on �live� television in 1954 as D�Artagnan in The Three Musketeers and in 1967-68 as Sexton Blake, before � while continuing to act � turning to writing crime novels at the age of 40 from which he made a handsome living. He was also a skilful arranger of stage fights. Peter O�Toole sought him out to choreograph his swordplay in Hamlet.

Payne first came to prominence as Berowne in Peter Brook�s staging of Love�s Labour�s Lost at Stratford in 1946. His reputation grew as Romeo in Brook�s version of Romeo and Juliet (1947) at the same theatre; and as Hamlet at the Embassy, Swiss Cottage (1953). Most unusually for the times, he was a cockney with a rare ability to speak Shakespeare with a perfect received pronunciation.

He was not everyone�s idea of a great Shakespearean player, but having already spent eight years with the Old Vic, he seemed ready to become a star. At the Vic he had been playing �a well-spoken, intelligent and more than promising Cassio in Othello, and the deplorable Dr Caius in The Merry Wives of Windsor at the New (now Coward), going on to play Richard II and the Earl of Warwick in Shaw�s St Joan at lesser theatres.

It was a theatrical period brimming with competition. Apart from Brook�s peculiar if promising ideas, there was the commanding presence of 24-year-old Paul Scofield (obituary, March 21, 2008) as Don Armado in Love�s Labour�s Lost and as Mercutio in Romeo and Juliet.

Harold Hobson wrote of Payne�s Romeo: he �is young, darkly Italian, excellently spoken in the quieter passages, but unmelting in passion and hampered by lack of inches�. Kenneth Tynan added: �I did not wholly sympathise with Laurence Payne�s stocky Romeo. There was not an ounce of spontaneous melancholia in all his downright body. Masterly staging however came often to his aid.�

Brook also made drastic cuts in the text; and in trying to chip off what Barry Jackson, the director of the Birmingham Rep, had described as the barnacles of complacency and confusion among traditionalists (�especially senior critics�) Brook became their whipping boy with Romeo. With Brook high-handed about young RADA-trained English actors, and Scofield adored for his new personality, Payne�s casting as Romeo looked inadequate. Brook dismissed the outraged reception.

As Bassanio in The Merchant of Venice Payne �finds a good burnish� said J. C. Trewin; and his Sebastian �spoke from the heart� in Walter Hudd�s revival of Twelfth Night. With some of the cuts restored, Brook�s Romeo went to London for a season at His Majesty�s Theatre. The notices were respectable, short and lukewarm. Hobson said of Payne�s Romeo: �I wish I could praise it. But I can do no more than recall that Irving also failed in the part.� Of Payne�s idea of Hamlet at Guildford and the Embassy six years later, Trewin said that he played �with brisk certainty in a design for a more detailed portrait�.

Laurence Stanley Payne was born in London in 1919, one of three children, and educated at Tottenham Grammar School. His father, Earnest, a carpenter, died when he was 4. After a spell in the City as a clerk, he studied for the stage at the Old Vic. He made his first stage appearance walking on in Ibsen�s An Enemy of the People.

At the Arts Theatre he played �the self-satisfied young lout from Cambridgeshire \ roused furies in Beverley Baxter�s middle-aged breast� in Somerset Maugham�s The Breadwinner. In Ronald Mackenzie�s Musical Chairs (Playhouse, 1948) Hobson thought that Payne as the ailing, febrile, irresistible Joseph Schindler �playing the piano among the bankrupt oil wells was better than his Romeo, but it lacks the tension John Gielgud gave the part 16 years ago�.

Joining the Bristol Old Vic company in 1951 Payne played Gaston, said Hobson, in Jean Anouilh�s The Traveller Without Luggage, �standing at the top of the stairs in the Renaud house, listening with controlled, grieved face to the story his brother was reluctantly telling him about the laming of his friend�.

He was a brilliant Tybalt, who arranged the fights so that �the blades flashed cleanly in the sun� in Hugh Hunt�s 1952 staging of Romeo and Juliet (with Claire Bloom). He won more plaudits as the dazzled and distracted bridegroom in a version from Bristol Old Vic promoted to the Old Vic of the French farce An Italian Straw Hat.

His films included Train of Events, Ill Met By Moonlight, Ben-Hur, The Tell-Tale Heart, The Court Martial of Major Keller and Vampire Circus.

His television appearances also included The Ivor Novello Story and The Trial of Spencer Cowper.

Payne wrote 11 novels, all but one of them crime stories written in a dry Raymond Chandler style, several of which were published by Penguin. The Nose of My Face (1960) was made into a film, Girl in the Headlines (1963) with Ian Hendry and Ronald Fraser.

Offstage Payne was a somewhat shy and retiring man, amusing, an operagoer, an accomplished pianist, a painter in oils and devoted to cats and dogs.

He was married first to Sheila Burrell, an actress, and then in 1974 to Pamela Alan, an equestrian writer, who survives him.

Laurence Payne, actor and writer, was born on June 5, 1919. He died on February 23, 2009, aged 89

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast