Thread: Hot Fuzz

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    fabulous movie with some great performances

Senior Member Country: England woody123's Avatar
    Liked
    11 times
    Everyone I know who has seen Hot Fuzz either loves it(me ) or hates it.It seems to be one of those polarizing films where no one says"yeah it was O.K.

It plays to me as almost 2 films in 1.The first hour or so is a vey funny comedy,it then morphs into something akin to The New Avengers and then returns to it's original comedy thread at the end.

I just discovered another Simon Pegg film made in 2006 which I missed on release,"The Big Nothing" which Pegg carries.Without him it would be just another run of the mill time-filler.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    129 times
    I half agree with you.... I loved Hot Fuzz,hated Shaun of the Dead!
    Hot Fuzz is great but Shaun was better, then again I'm a big fan of George Romero.

I like Simon Pegg's work but Nick Frost's schtick is becoming a bit wearing.
    I'm of the reverse opinion, Pegg is becoming a bit smug whereas Frost is naturally funny. He provided the one funny moment in the otherwise godawful Boat That Rocked

Senior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    1 times
    I must admit that I did not like 'Shaun Of The Dead' and was also very disappointed with 'Hot Fuzz' - I thought it could have been a whole lot better.

Yet, I enjoyed Simon Pegg's performance in 'Big Nothing' which was surprisingly good and a lot more entertaining.

Dave.

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Hot Fuzz has made me laugh both times that I've watched it to date and I've always been a fan of Simon Pegg and Nick Frost so this film was always going to one I would enjoy.

Liked
    0 times
    Hot Fuzz was by far the best black comedy I have seen for a very long time. It catered for the buddy cop hero/heros and took the mickey out of them. I love Edgar Wights work and his other film Shaun of the dead was just as good.

Anyone out there agree with me ???
    Gillian
    As a movie (and rabid horror fan) I should say Shaun of the Dead is the better movie; but although its one of the best zombie movies IMO Hot Fuzz is a better film overall. Whether or not the third part of Simon and Edgar's "Cornetto Trilogy" is another step up will remain to be seen. Fingers crossed!

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Hot Fuzz...very funny film, I enjoyed it loads. Best bit though was in the outtakes with Simon and Nick preteding to be Sean Connery and Michael Caine. That bit made oi larf!

Jim

GRAEME
    Everyone I know who has seen Hot Fuzz either loves it(me ) or hates it.It seems to be one of those polarizing films where no one says"yeah it was O.K.

I thought "yeah it was O.K."!

But I loved Shaun of the Dead - not only a pin sharp parody, but it created a very believable set of characters and social situation.

I thought that with Fuzz the target of the parody was far less well defined and was too cartoonish.

Senior Member Country: Jordan
    Liked
    0 times
    I thought "yeah it was O.K."!

But I loved Shaun of the Dead - not only a pin sharp parody, but it created a very believable set of characters and social situation.

I thought that with Fuzz the target of the parody was far less well defined and was too cartoonish.
    Totally agree- I was disappointed with Hot Fuzz because I was expecting something as spot on as Shaun of the Dead; with a subsequent viewing (and lower expectations) it creeps into the 'ok' catagory

Senior Member Country: Europe Bernardo's Avatar
    Liked
    13 times
    Two films that aim the shotgun exactly on the spot then fires a scatter and hits all points.

Favourite bit is found in Shaun Of The Dead: Outside the pub the zombies are gathering with strict equal opportunities and pc observation the zombies paraded past the camera in stereotyped stiff arms outstretched walking; black woman, blind person with only one arm out (other holding white stick) and one both arms outstretched but in a wheelchair. Second is the discussion on which vinyl LPs, and their merits, to throw at the zombies as they advance. The scenarios could be subtitled 'Men Behaving Badly go to the pictures.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    1 times
    As another poster said, Hot Fuzz goes a bit flat midway through. It starts and ends well and the cast is excellent, but I think they felt the need to give each supporting cast member a decent scene, which resulted in an rather over long film. It's funny, but overall I think there are too many under developed characters, albeit played by uniformly brilliant actors. That said, because the last 15 minutes are so good, you sort of forget the dragging portion by the time the credits roll.

Shaun of the Dead on the other hand never loses pace and is brilliant all the way through, and is IMHO the better film.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12