Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Does anyone know if this is "The Twilight Zone" or something different? It is definitely American.

A woman is alone in her house on a stormy night. Her husband is away on business. The couple's young son has died recently. I cant remember whether she makes a wish or recites a spell from a book - but, she wishes that her son could be returned to them. Upon completing the wish, there is a loud clap of thunder, and a knock at the door. When she opens the door, her son is standing there before her. She is overcome with emotion and brings him into the home. She puts him to bed and phones her husband to tell him what has happened. The husband tells her that his is returning home. In the morning, she discovers that her son's personality is not the same, and he is silent and strange/sinister. When the husband returns home, the woman calls upstairs for the son to come down and see his father. It is dark/shady upstairs, and when the son begins to descend the stairs, he has the dark head of a beast.

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    1 times
    name='ZZ_ PICK _ ZZ']Does anyone know if this is "The Twilight Zone" or something different? It is definitely American.

A woman is alone in her house on a stormy night. Her husband is away on business. The couple's young son has died recently. I cant remember whether she makes a wish or recites a spell from a book - but, she wishes that her son could be returned to them. Upon completing the wish, there is a loud clap of thunder, and a knock at the door. When she opens the door, her son is standing there before her. She is overcome with emotion and brings him into the home. She puts him to bed and phones her husband to tell him what has happened. The husband tells her that his is returning home. In the morning, she discovers that her son's personality is not the same, and he is silent and strange/sinister. When the husband returns home, the woman calls upstairs for the son to come down and see his father. It is dark/shady upstairs, and when the son begins to descend the stairs, he has the dark head of a beast.

It's the second segment from "Trilogy of Terror 2." Richard Matheson (who also wrote for the "Twilight Zone") wrote that.

Liked
    1 times
    Actually the version of Matheson's story you're talking about is the one from Dan Curtis' "Dead of Night."

But yes, it is a story called "Bobby" by Richard Matheson. And both adaptations in "Trilogy 2" and "Dead of Night" are worth a look.

Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    0 times
    name='ZZ_ PICK _ ZZ']Does anyone know if this is "The Twilight Zone" or something different? It is definitely American.

It seems o ring a bell as a Hammer House film, with American actors. I seem to recall a similar story line but the husband has brought home a mysterious item and that their wish comes true from that????

Liked
    80 times
    The plot is a bit like that of the famous horror story The Monkey's Paw. It has been filmed many times, but there was a version of it in Orson Welles's Great Mysteries TV series in the '70s.

More here:

"Great Mysteries" The Monkey's Paw (1973)

E.

Liked
    1 times
    So when the boy/beast comes down the stairs, does he say something sinister like, "Bobby didn't want to come back--so I came instead!"?

If he did that's definitely Matheson's "Bobby" from either Dan Curtis' "Dead of Night" or "Trilogy of Terror 2." (Think those are on Youtube btw)

Based on your plot description I'm pretty sure it is. (And if it's not, Richard Matheson owes somebody some money lol)

Senior Member Country: UK jonpsych's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    maybe one of the darker episodes of Rentaghost

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    name='jonpsych']maybe one of the darker episodes of Rentaghost

You just made me spit tea into my keyboard!