Liked
    0 times
    Guess who's coming to a Funeral? News from playbill.com. Some fine actors in cast. Still, I wonder about the seemingly neverending slew of do-overs...

Rock, Lawrence, Morgan, Glover, Marsden, Devine to Star in LaBute-Directed "Death at a Funeral"

By Andrew Gans

10 Mar 2009

Casting has been announced for the Neil LaBute-directed comedy "Death at a Funeral."

The American remake of the 2007 British motion picture will star Chris Rock, Martin Lawrence and Tracy Morgan with Danny Glover, Regina Hall, James Marsden, Zoe Saldana, Columbus Short, Loretta Devine and Ron Glass, according to Variety.

The Screen Gems-Sidney Kimmel Entertainment film was penned by Aeysha Carr and Chris Rock, who is also producing.

The film, according to the industry paper, "revolves around a dysfunctional family that gathers for the patriarch's funeral. When tensions rise and old conflicts are uncovered, a man arrives saying he's the dead man's gay lover and threatens blackmail."

Filming is scheduled to begin in the spring.

Sidney Kimmel, William Horberg, Share Stallings and Laurence Malkin produce. The latter two were producers of the original British film.

Director LaBute will be represented on Broadway later this season with his first Main Stem production, reasons to be pretty.

Liked
    151 times
    To be honest I thought the original was a mess and not really in the spirit of British black comedy. But if Martin Laurence and Chris Rock are in the remake I'm not building my hopes up.

Senior Member Country: Europe Bernardo's Avatar
    Liked
    13 times
    Don't laugh. A well respected Felixstowe Rotarian Edgar died and we all turned out for his funeral. Just as the coffin arrived at the door of No 1 Chapel Ipswich Crem, Edgars old aunt crumpled and, seated, leaned heavily on the rotarian next to her. As the procession moved slowly in, the rotarian, with a free hand tugged at the coat of Gordon, leading the cortege, pointed to the aunt and mouthed 'she's dead'. Gordon mouthed what? Repeat mouthing with finger across throat, she's dead. Gordon nodded and proceeded, deposited the coffin then as one they slowly turned, walked up the aisle and solemnly lifted the old lady and went out in procession.

Reverend Rotarian Ken entered the vestry to see the aunt laid out on the floor, puttered on about bodies everywhere. Doctor was called etc. but most difficult call was Gordon (a well known joker as undertakers are) who phoned in to get a box delivered to remove a body from the crem. This took some persuading.

All of it true as it happened.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    Neil LaBute directed the dreadful remake of The Wicker Man so I wouldn't expect anything too wonderful.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    2 times
    name='Bernardo']Don't laugh. A well respected Felixstowe Rotarian Edgar died and we all turned out for his funeral. Just as the coffin arrived at the door of No 1 Chapel Ipswich Crem, Edgars old aunt crumpled and, seated, leaned heavily on the rotarian next to her. As the procession moved slowly in, the rotarian, with a free hand tugged at the coat of Gordon, leading the cortege, pointed to the aunt and mouthed 'she's dead'. Gordon mouthed what? Repeat mouthing with finger across throat, she's dead. Gordon nodded and proceeded, deposited the coffin then as one they slowly turned, walked up the aisle and solemnly lifted the old lady and went out in procession.

Reverend Rotarian Ken entered the vestry to see the aunt laid out on the floor, puttered on about bodies everywhere. Doctor was called etc. but most difficult call was Gordon (a well known joker as undertakers are) who phoned in to get a box delivered to remove a body from the crem. This took some persuading.

All of it true as it happened.

Whatyamean, "Don't laugh"

Senior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    1 times
    name='DB7']To be honest I thought the original was a mess and not really in the spirit of British black comedy. But if Martin Laurence and Chris Rock are in the remake I'm not building my hopes up.

I agree DB.

When I first saw 'Death at a Funeral' at the cinema I thought it was quite funny. It was one of the few films I've been to where the majority of the audience continually laughed out loud to the scenes.

Yet when I recently watched the film again on DVD I thought it was not half as funny as I remembered it. I actually thought the end product very mediocre.

The ongoing scene were one guest accidentally takes drugs and starts acting weird and hallucinating goes on for far too long and is not really that funny.

Does this remake mean that the original did not get general cinema release in the States? Or is it another case of American audiences not relating to a British comedy?

If the Brits could not make it work I cannot see the Americans doing any better.

Dave.