Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    1 times
    Am I correct in thinking that not many of Charlton Heston's films have been released on Video/DVD? I am assuming that there may be copyright issues involved and/or possible agreements he had with studios about his movies? He seemed to be top dog through the 1950s, into 1960s then, suddenly, he seemed to be no longer flavour of the month or perhaps his "style" of film went out of the window.

Best films? "The War Lord", 55 Days in Peking", "Touch of Evil", "El Cid" probably more but, I can't think of them right now!

CliveT

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    I think Chuck simply got too old for the type of tough leading man role he's been playing since the 1950s.

His perfoemance in the Omega Man (1971, I think) is especially brave, eschewing his toupee and doing shirt off scenes to display his now sagging torso to show how his character was becomng old and worn out.

Though I'm not his biggest fan, he did make admirable attempts to broaden his range.

Liked
    137 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CliveT
    Am I correct in thinking that not many of Charlton Heston's films have been released on Video/DVD? I am assuming that there may be copyright issues involved and/or possible agreements he had with studios about his movies? He seemed to be top dog through the 1950s, into 1960s then, suddenly, he seemed to be no longer flavour of the month or perhaps his "style" of film went out of the window.

Best films? "The War Lord", 55 Days in Peking", "Touch of Evil", "El Cid" probably more but, I can't think of them right now!

CliveT
    Khartoum is my personal favourite of his.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    7 times

Of those you mention i think only The War Lord isn't out yet (it was released on laserdisc). Which ones were you thinking of - i thought most of them were out somewhere (not necessary in the UK - eg: Last Hard Men which is out in Spain and Netherlands i think).

Super Moderator Country: UK christoph404's Avatar
    Liked
    77 times
    "The War Lord" was released as a region1 a few years back but its rare to find a DVD and when it does crop up on Amazon or ebay its pricey....�30+. I think pretty much all of his other films are out on DVD, after "Planet of The Apes" in 68/69 his career enjoyed a comeback and he starred in a few more futuristic sci fi films such as "The Omega Man" and "Soylent Green". "The Omega Man" is out on a very good blu-ray, its a far superior version of the story "I am Legend" as recently released with Will Smith, and "El Cid" is now available on a remastered wide screen disc replacing the dodgy 4x3 format disc that has been around a while. "Khartoum" is the most distinguished British film he has appeared in, directed by Basil Dearden and also easily available on DVD.

Liked
    1 times
    I keep a lookout for CHs dvds but, in Australia there seems to be a shortage. I read his diaries 1956-1976 his first type of autobiography and I found it interesting that he begged Samuel Bronston to allow Orson Welles to use the "Peking" sets for a Welles film, what a pity, think of all the fun Welles could have had in making use of those sets! Apparently "Call of the Wild" was a bit of a clanger, I think Harry Towers was involved & money was the issue. I did enjoy "The Big Country" & "Major Dundee". Possibly his views on guns etc may have alienated many people?

Clive T

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    I read his diaries 1956-1976 his first type of autobiography and I found it interesting that he begged Samuel Bronston to allow Orson Welles to use the "Peking" sets for a Welles film, what a pity, think of all the fun Welles could have had in making use of those sets!
    Do you remember which film it was? Was it Touch of Evil?

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by m35541
    Of those you mention i think only The War Lord isn't out yet (it was released on laserdisc). Which ones were you thinking of - i thought most of them were out somewhere (not necessary in the UK - eg: Last Hard Men which is out in Spain and Netherlands i think).

They've also released a very nice NTSC print of "The Wreck of The Mary Deare" ... Heston and Gary Cooper with a very nice British cast in support.

I bought a beautiful Brazilian widescreen DVD of "The War Lord" on eBay. It's all in the original English soundtrack with Portuguese subtitles that can be turned off. You wouldn't know that you weren't watching a UK or US release.

Liked
    1 times
    Hi Batman

No, it wasn't "Touch of Evil" as that film was shot in 1958 & "Peking" was not shot until 1962. I know that Welles had an idea for a film with, obviously, Oriental backgrounds but, unfortunately I do not have any idea of a title, stars etc. It seems that Welles had lots of film ideas/projects but, little money to put them into production!

CliveT

Liked
    255 times
    Hi Batman

No, it wasn't "Touch of Evil" as that film was shot in 1958 & "Peking" was not shot until 1962. I know that Welles had an idea for a film with, obviously, Oriental backgrounds but, unfortunately I do not have any idea of a title, stars etc. It seems that Welles had lots of film ideas/projects but, little money to put them into production!

CliveT
    Doh, I should have realised that.

Thanks Clive.

Liked
    0 times
    Did a very good job playing Cardinal Richelieu in Dick Lesters Musketeer's movies and Long John Silver in the best version of "TREASURE ISLAND" 1990.

Liked
    255 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hackett
    Did a very good job playing Cardinal Richelieu in Dick Lesters Musketeer's movies and Long John Silver in the best verstions of "TREASURE ISLAND" 1990.
    I love that version Treasure Island. Chuck is excellent and is part of a great cast .... Oliver Reed as Billy Bones, Christopher Lee as Blind Pugh, Christian Bale as Jim Hawkins plus Richard Johnson, Julian Glover, Pete Postlethwaite, Clive Wood and Isla Blair. Terrific stuff!

Chuck is also good as Sherlock Holmes in the same team's production of The Crucifer of Blood.

Senior Member Country: United States Reeldigger's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by batman
    Chuck is also good as Sherlock Holmes in the same team's production of The Crucifer of Blood.
    When the film was first released, there was a magazine still of Heston in character with the customary pipe, magnifying glass and deer-stalker. It struck me as such foolish casting I couldn't supress a laugh. But when I finally caught up with the movie I thought Heston gave a very credible accounting. Of course, when I mentioned this to a friend of mine, he thought I was insane.

He wasn' t the most imaginative actor in the world, often giving to posturing, but Heston did have very good technical skills. A lot of people are out-of-synch with his loopy politics (myself included) and that tarnished his reputation a bit. Unfairly, in my view, considering, by most accounts, he was a very stand-up guy.

Liked
    255 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeldigger

He wasn' t the most imaginative actor in the world, often giving to posturing, but Heston did have very good technical skills. A lot of people are out-of-synch with his loopy politics (myself included) and that tarnished his reputation a bit. Unfairly, in my view, considering, by most accounts, he was a very stand-up guy.
    I couldn't have put it better myself.

Liked
    0 times
    Did we miss "The Ten Commandments" !!??

Anywhoo, my favourite is "Will Penny" (circa 1968) but maybe, living in Vermont, I'm biased because I know what a hard, long winter really is!

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    13 times
    No mention of"Ben Hur" either NappieB. "Touch of Evil" is one of my all time favourite flicks .Seems like I should take another look at "Khartoum" which I've only seen once and that was when It first came out !

Senior Member Country: England Santonix's Avatar
    Liked
    3 times
    I thought he was excellent in as The Ranch Foreman Steve Leech in The Big Country.

Senior Member Country: UK aphra's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ='NappieB'
    Did we miss "The Ten Commandments" !!??

Anywhoo, my favourite is "Will Penny" (circa 1968) but maybe, living in Vermont, I'm biased because I know what a hard, long winter really is!
    I second that heartily. I think WILL PENNY is among my top ten Westerns of all time. And Heston gave a surprisingly sensitive performance.

Senior Member Country: United States TimR's Avatar
    Liked
    29 times
    Quote Originally Posted by christoph404
    "The War Lord" was released as a region1 a few years back but its rare to find a DVD and when it does crop up on Amazon or ebay its pricey.....
    The War Lord is a terrific film and very under-rated. As you mention, the DVD is extremely expensive.

Liked
    0 times
    A bit off topic but on another forum (and Wikipedia) someone is saying that the first male 'Blue Peter' presenter Christopher Trace was Heston's stand-in/body double for 'Ben Hur'. Anyone know if it is true or some load of old pony that some idiot has added to Trace's Wikipedia entry for a laugh? BTW Trace started on 'Blue Peter' in October 1958 but I don't know if this would have clashed with the filming on 'Ben Hur', probably not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast