Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    22 men running around a muddy field chasing a bag of wind BORING!!!!

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    name='orpheum']funny how leeds fans can get so worked up about past glories when their team is now nowhere to be seen.more to the point as this thread is about a film mightb be better if they saw it and gave their opinions.

By the way how many doubles did Don Readies do?how many times did his team go through a season?about as many times as they won a game fair and square.

Suprisingly despite your flaming and wild eyed hysteria i would list Arsenal as my second fave team.But who is the biggest most ungracious whinger of all when teams like Bolton give you a tough time? - yup Arsene "I did not see" Wenger

Outrageous whinging on the innocent Taylor tackle on Eduardo -who lied about Taylor not contacting him.I have a friend who is a Villa fan who hates the Bham city 1000 times more than you hate Leeds and he said "Freak injury .They'll be f***** wearing black armbands for Eduardo the way they are moaning about it"

And who was labelled the dirtiest team a few years ago -with the amount of red cards?

And even as a die hard Man Ure hater the assault on Van Nistlerooy by Keown and crew was outrageous.And respect to Van Nistlerooy who could have milked it by easily falling rolling around in mortal agony or clutching his face - his honesty saved Arsenal from worse punishment.

Leeds are where they are because rather than realising to settle for a top 6 place we got grand delusions that we could be champs.The two 3rd finishes were great but they were also over achievements that should have given us a reality check

I don't have a prob with you hating Leeds-that's your honestly held belief and it will not affect me rooting for Arsenal.

Banned Country: UK
    Liked
    6 times
    name='Chris B']22 men running around a muddy field chasing a bag of wind BORING!!!!

And that is just running after the ref.

Senior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    1 times
    I'm looking forward to seeing The Damned United, although it will not get released in Australia until August.

I am currently reading the book by David Peace from which the film is based.

It's not a bad read but as the book was written as a sort of novel it's difficult to work out whats fact from fiction about Cloughie in the book.

Dave.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    13 times
    David I read the book a couple of years back now (I think) a gift from an old pal and a QPR man (not an easy task). It's best to think of the book more as a painting, than a sort fact from fiction type of affair. Peace is trying to create the mood and the atmosphere of the event and obviously sees it as a very "black hearted" story. It reminded me of Nick Tosches writing. A tale from the darkside for sure.

Senior Member Country: UK Mr Pastry Time's Avatar
    Liked
    4 times
    name='winsfordtown']I'm not sure I really want to watch "The Damned United". I have too much of youth tied up in Leeds United to have it dismantled. I know it's a film about Brian Clough but it needs a balance view from the Leeds players rather than Billy Bremner, Johnny Giles and Norman Hunter viewed as cardboard cut outs.

Forget the team just go and enjoy some premium entertainment.. A first rate movie this and I will be watching again this week but at another Cinema.

Liked
    0 times
    name='Mr Pastry Time']Forget the team just go and enjoy some premium entertainment.. A first rate movie this and I will be watching again this week but at another Cinema.

spot on Mr Pastry.the majority of people posting have a) not bothered to see the film and b)were not alive when the events took place and did not actually see live the events they are referring to.Every response to modern day football in this context is both redundant and superfluous.

Liked
    0 times
    name='orpheum']spot on Mr Pastry.the majority of people posting have a) not bothered to see the film and b)were not alive when the events took place and did not actually see live the events they are referring to.Every response to modern day football in this context is both redundant and superfluous.

It's not your club nor are you the part of the Clough family. Some people may not want to see a character assignation of both parties. There is a difference between not bothering to see a film than choosing not see it. I've no doubt it's a very good film but most of the key characters aren't alive to defend themselves.

Senior Member Country: England jaycad's Avatar
    Liked
    100 times
    i'm looking forward to watching the film,from what i've seen michael sheen does a good job of cloughs mannerisms but why didn't the make up artist put a dark mole on the right hand cheekbone and a gap in sheens over-white teeth??

i liked brian clough,although i was disappointed with the comments in his book he made about the liverpool fans in the hillsborough disaster as i remember walking past him on the pitch after i'd gotten out of the lepping lane end and he was visibly upset and had tears in his eyes.otherwise he was a legend.

Super Moderator Country: England
    Liked
    7 times
    name='orpheum']spot on Mr Pastry.the majority of people posting have a) not bothered to see the film and b)were not alive when the events took place and did not actually see live the events they are referring to.Every response to modern day football in this context is both redundant and superfluous.

I see, did you follow Leeds United all over the country in the 60's and 70's, or just the home ties at Elland Road ?? Otherwise how could you have been witness to the events yourself??

For the record, I've been a Leeds fan since '68, was a season ticket holder when I used to live within 300 miles of the place, and will see the film when I get a day off next week. But as the good Winsfordtown pointed out, judging from online clips, the actors who are supposed to be the team that everyone feared losing to (It was their thirty-year old record your lot beat in 2004, btw, in the days of multiple substitutes and huge squads) look like they would disgrace a pub team.

And one last thing about gamesmanship, dirty play, whatever; it was a player called Willie Young, so blatantly hacking down a 17-year old Paul Allen, clear through on goal (and with the ball yards away from Young) in the last minutes of an FA Cup Final that led directly to the professional foul = red card rule we now have. Mr Young was playing for Arsenal.

Banned Country: UK
    Liked
    6 times
    Yorkshire and the Humber MEP Richard Corbett has urged Uefa to reverse Leeds United's defeat by AC Milan in the 1973 Cup Winners' Cup final.

"Few doubt Milan bribed the Greek official," Corbett told his website.

"If there is evidence that [the match] was fixed then the result should be reversed and Leeds awarded the trophy."

He plans to present it to Uefa on 16 May, the 36th anniversary of the match.

LINK BELOW.

BBC SPORT | Football | My Club | L | Leeds | MEP wants Leeds result reversed

Liked
    13 times
    Does that mean Sheffield United can sue AC Milan ?

Senior Member Country: England jaycad's Avatar
    Liked
    100 times
    name='billy bentley']Does that mean Sheffield United can sue AC Milan ?

ha ha ha!!! i can't stand sheffield united!

Liked
    0 times
    name='Amethyst_Isle']Yorkshire and the Humber MEP Richard Corbett has urged Uefa to reverse Leeds United's defeat by AC Milan in the 1973 Cup Winners' Cup final.

"Few doubt Milan bribed the Greek official," Corbett told his website.

"If there is evidence that [the match] was fixed then the result should be reversed and Leeds awarded the trophy."

He plans to present it to Uefa on 16 May, the 36th anniversary of the match.

LINK BELOW.

BBC SPORT | Football | My Club | L | Leeds | MEP wants Leeds result reversed

UEFA doesn't want to know because it'll be like opening up Pandora's Box. The gams below are just a few off the top of my head were all equally as corrupt. It does annoy me that current AC Milan fans believe their team won the competition fairly and I firmly believe that history should be re-written to correct these lies. If that includes Leeds United players and managers against Wolves in 1972 then they should be named and shamed and demoted down the league.

1965 Cup Winners Cup 2nd leg - Inter Milan v Liverpool

1971 European Cup Quarter Final 2nd leg Panithanikos v Everton

1984 UEFA Cup - Anderlectht v Nottingham Forest

Liked
    7 times
    Just back from seeing the film, and I have to say, better than expected; the 'recreated' football footage wasn't great, but there isn't too much of it; there's a bit of dishonest editing in the opening montage, where "Dirty Leeds" are shown whacking opponents (And I know enough of the available archive footage to say that almost all of those clips are showing the players retaliating,and the original incident lopped off.) And there's some one-eyed captioning at the end of the film re. Revie's Post England personal finances, without mentioning the scandal that forced Clough's retirement from Forest.

That all aside, and remembering it is intended as a portrait rather than a photograph, the film is well written, very well acted, and extremely well cast. Not look-a-likeys, as apart from Sheen as Clough and Meaney as Revie (and whoever plays Gordon McQueen - that was scary!!) none of the actors cast as the players look anything like the heroes of my youth. a nice piece of special effect puts Sheen at the head of the Leeds' Charity Shield march-out, next to Bill Shankley; and the evocation of the period is pretty good (though I would be really surprised if Revie actually had a bed like the one shown - a sort of 70's Louis Quatorze confection....) and some clever cinematography, particularly noticeable in the Brighton sequences, shot in a palette to look like faded Eastmancolour...

The film belongs to the fine performances of Sheen, Meaney, and Spall; you do get to understand the idea put forward that, in a backhanded way, that Clough not only relied and depended on Peter Taylor, as is well documented, but that he needed that rivalry with Revie almost as much; and that a supposed snub from a man Clough admired almost entirely, in the sixties, sowed an obsessive drive to succeed to better him; as good an explanation for the 44 days as any I've heard... and thankfully, despite the film being a toned-down version of the book, it hasn't been reduced to a hagiography, and Revie's visionary approach to football management in terms of tactics and preparation of his teams for differing opponents hasn't been overlooked.

Do get to see it; I'm not sure my fanship helped my appreciation of it, or hindered it; in the end, it's not even about football, but about a different time, male bonding, and interdependency.

Liked
    13 times
    I'll be waiting in New York City, as will a few others I know. Although I wouldn't be surprised if the DVD was available (in Blighty) first ! What's the likely turned around time for a flick like this to get DVd release in the UK ?

Liked
    7 times
    name='billy bentley']I'll be waiting in New York City, as will a few others I know. Although I wouldn't be surprised if the DVD was available (in Blighty) first ! What's the likely turned around time for a flick like this to get DVd release in the UK ?

It varies.....but as it's a BBC production, it might even get a TV airing pretty soon....

Liked
    0 times
    dishonest editing my foot.you cant admit they were the dirtiest team ever to inhabit Division 1.

Liked
    7 times
    Ah, yes, your objectivity again....but then of course you have watched all the Leeds United archive footage, and can see how they have been edited for use in the film...

What is Willie Young up to these days??

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast