Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Senior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    1 times
    There was speculation that Leeds may have lost the league title in the season 1971-72 and indeed the double that year (they had already won the FA Cup) due to bribery allegations at the time.

On the final day of that season Leeds only had to gain a point against Wolves at Molineux to win the championship yet lost.

Leeds had a decent penalty appeal for handball turned down by the ref in that game. Many said that the ref on the night was afraid to give the penalty because of the bribe rumours going about. It was speculated that he didn't want to be seen to favour Leeds in such an important match. So Leeds reputation, true or false, may have been their downfall that season.

Leeds keeper Gary Sprake later revealed in the 'Sunday People' that a former Leeds player had tried to bribe Wolves players to go easy and throw the match. Obviously it did not work.

Dave.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    name='David Brent']There was speculation that Leeds may have lost the league title in the season 1971-72 and indeed the double that year (they had already won the FA Cup) due to bribery allegations at the time.

On the final day of that season Leeds only had to gain a point against Wolves at Molineux to win the championship yet lost.

Leeds had a decent penalty appeal for handball turned down by the ref in that game. Many said that the ref on the night was afraid to give the penalty because of the bribe rumours going about. It was speculated that he didn't want to be seen to favour Leeds in such an important match. So Leeds reputation, true or false, may have been their downfall that season.

Leeds keeper Gary Sprake later revealed in the 'Sunday People' that a former Leeds player had tried to bribe Wolves players to go easy and throw the match. Obviously it did not work.

Dave.

I've never understood why this game had to be played on Monday night following the FA Cup Final. Only the English FA would consider scheduling a two legged European Championship Quarter Final match against West Germany either side of the FA Cup Final and League Championship decider. It gave neither Sir Alf Ramsey nor Leeds United a fair chance of winning their respective matches. Why was Gary Sprake the only player who had inside knowledge on bribes? Surely someone else would have come forward after all these years.

Super Moderator Country: England
    Liked
    7 times
    There is a bit of distrust around Sprake...if something that clandestine was going on, how come he knew about it ?? He would have been the last to know...and he had an axe to grind, being more than normally bitter at being dropped by Revie. At the time, Sprake was regarded by many as a liability....incompetent, or got at ??

Banned Country: UK
    Liked
    6 times
    I remember that Gary Sprake had some real howlers when he was our goalkeeper and I even still cringe when seeing them clips again.

If those howlers were intented or not,we shall never know.

Liked
    0 times
    name='Amethyst_Isle']I remember that Gary Sprake had some real howlers when he was our goalkeeper and I even still cringe when seeing them clips again.

If those howlers were intented or not,we shall never know.

I've just managed to pick up a copy of the 2nd Leg of the 1968 Fair Cup Final when Leeds went to Ferencvaros holding on to a 1-0 lead and Gary Sprake won the game for the club that night. So credit where it's deserved but unfortunatly he was a nervous wreck before matches and it appears to have effected his game towards the end of his career at Leeds.

Banned Country: UK
    Liked
    6 times
    name='winsfordtown']I've just managed to pick up a copy of the 2nd Leg of the 1968 Fair Cup Final when Leeds went to Ferencvaros holding on to a 1-0 lead and Gary Sprake won the game for the club that night. So credit where it's deserved .

I am not knocking him.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiD8YBLKA18&feature=related]YouTube - Leeds United, League Cup And Fairs Cup Finals 1968[/ame]

Senior Member Country: Scotland
    Liked
    1 times
    Don Revie once said that his biggest mistake wasn't bringing in David Harvey earlier than he did. Harvey was IMO one of the big three in goal-keeping terms in the early 70s alongside Peter Shilton and Pat Jennings.

I don't think the Scottish media have done David Harvey any favours. Understandably Jim Leighton, Andy Goram and even current keeper Craig Gordon get credit for their peformances at international level, whereas it seems to be forgotten that Harvey was one of the best goalkeepers in the world, proving it in the 1974 World Cup in Germany.

One of the things that annoyed me about Brian Clough at Leeds was when he called the injury prone Eddie Gray a carthorse. Eddie retired from the game shortly after, but while short of numbers in a reserve match he put back on his boots, played not only for Leeds first team, but regained his Scotland place. I also think Scot manager Ally McLeod didn't treat him very well either. Eddie was playing well for Scotland, but understandably felt loyalty toward Leeds and turned down the chance to go on a pre World Cup tour of Argentina, so he could be fit for his club for the next season. Ally never picked him again, prefering Willie Johnson and latterly John Robertson

Liked
    0 times
    name='stuart.scot']Don Revie once said that his biggest mistake wasn't bringing in David Harvey earlier than he did. Harvey was IMO one of the big three in goal-keeping terms in the early 70s alongside Peter Shilton and Pat Jennings.

I don't think the Scottish media have done David Harvey any favours. Understandably Jim Leighton, Andy Goram and even current keeper Craig Gordon get credit for their peformances at international level, whereas it seems to be forgotten that Harvey was one of the best goalkeepers in the world, proving it in the 1974 World Cup in Germany.

David Harvey was seriously injured in a car crash in late 1974 which put him out of the game for months and cost him his place in the 1975 European Cup Final. Ironically is replacement David Stewart also took his place in the Scotland team even though he eventually won got back in the Leeds team I don't think he was as good again.

Super Moderator Country: England
    Liked
    7 times
    How about this for a rare survival, a MOTD from 1965......

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90kp51TGfB0]YouTube - 1964 - 1965 - Arsenal v Leeds[/ame]

Liked
    1 times
    I remember David Harvey's form dipping not long after the World Cup. David Stewart wasn't in the Scotland team for long. Alan Rough was the main man from the mid 70s through to the early 80s, until the arrival of Jim Leighton. David Harvey and Peter Lorimer did play for Leeds in their late 30s under Eddie Gray's managment

Liked
    0 times
    I'm in this Movie as a reporter and a cameraman, not sure if I made the final cut tho!

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    name='stuart.scot']I remember David Harvey's form dipping not long after the World Cup. David Stewart wasn't in the Scotland team for long. Alan Rough was the main man from the mid 70s through to the early 80s, until the arrival of Jim Leighton. David Harvey and Peter Lorimer did play for Leeds in their late 30s under Eddie Gray's managment

WHERE ARE THEY NOW? DAVID HARVEY - Sport - The Independent

Senior Member Country: UK Dadwasinflame's Avatar
    Liked
    4 times
    As a Leeds fan of Nearly 37 Years iwhilst i enjoyed this film for entertainment it is very inacurate, IN One of the shots where Clough (Sheen is talkin to the Players their is a shot of the East stand which was not bulit till 1993 , also, the stuff with John Giles is libelious as well, so much so that parts of the Book had to be rewrittin and Giles received an undisclosed amout as well from the film makers

Got to say this film split fans from my generation as well, on our top fan site there is a poster who is the son of one of our team, of that era(not a player btw) who said it is a terrible slur on his Late father and asked Leeds fans Not to go and see the Film, Simon Grayson, (our current manager btw) and the Whole team went to see it before we played Orient last season , and most enjoyed it but Grayson had to explain who was who apprentley

Btw just before the season starts a book is coming out called "Thre Real story of Cloughs 44 days at Leeds United "should be intresting , there is also a book called Dirty Leeds coming out about the same time

Liked
    1 times
    Though I enjoyed the film one of the things I picked up on was the dramatic license used surrounding the potrayal of Dave Mackay, around the time of Brian Clough's sacking from Derby. The film suggested Mackay took the Manager's job when he was still Captain of the club, thereby stabbing Clough in the back. However, Mackay had left the club had had Managed Nottingham Forrest, so when he took over from Clough at Derby, it wasn't a betrayal as the film suggests. Well Dave took legal action and won against the makers of the film for more or less the same reason.

Johnny Giles won apology against the publishers of the novel, which was harsher than the movie, because he wasn't happy for the way he was potrayed in the book.

Another thing in the film was the Revie/Clough interview with Austin Mitchell. At the end of the interview Michael Sheen's Clough says to Revie, 'Let's see where we are in 5 yrs.' Now I've seen the interview on You Tube and I can't find that quote. I think it was put in, because 5-yrs later Revie was a failed England Manager and Clough led Nottingham Forrest the European Cup

Senior Member Country: UK Dadwasinflame's Avatar
    Liked
    4 times
    As a Leeds fan will be watching it, but as it is Factualy inaccurate , in several places , most notably the Score on the screen which says Leeds 0 Luton 1, it was in fact 1/1

Great opening titles for Any Leeds fan tho & Michael sheen , is brilliant as Clough Col Meany is good as Revie, and Timothy Spall is good as Peter Taylor as well

on Beeb 2 this Sunday (18th) at 21.00/22.30
    Attached Images

Liked
    151 times
    Aye, it worth watching more for Sheen's portrayal rather than it's biographical accuracy.

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    It is a very good fictional film based on fact. There are many events changed or added to suit the story, but this was also the case with the great film Chariots of Fire.

My only criticism of the film is that it is particularly unfair to Don Revie, and the end of the film stresses how successful Clough went on to be as Revie declined. Actually he was a very unlucky England manager, drawing an excellent Italy side in the World Cup 1978 qualifying group with only 1 team to go through, and losing out I think on only goal difference.

Senior Member Country: England jaycad's Avatar
    Liked
    100 times
    I enjoyed it,sheen,spall and meaney gave excellent performances (stephen thingeymebobs 'billy bremner' was crap though) although if i was a leeds fan then i may have been less than impressed but football fans watching the film would have been aware of the invented incidents so no harm done! One criticism though is the lack of mole on the face of sheens 'cloughie'!

I liked brian clough-football needs characters like him (which is why i liked mourinho), i was disappointed in his hillsborough comments but i put them down to his 'state of mind' whilst making them! Clough passed me on the pitch at hillsborough with tears in his eyes that day.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789