Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Sorry this isn't a Brit film, but this double bill was unique to the UK I believe and it was directed by the same director as Zulu Dawn. I know what it was called, but would to know if others remember it.

It was an American Movie, which in the UK was released as part of a double bill with the troubled movie AVALANCE EXPRESS and in the UK, It went by the title of SKYRIDERS

Fortunately this is not a movie I remember vaguely, I can recall the whole plot in some considerable detail.

Starring James Coburn, Sussanah York and

Robert Culp plays Bracken, whose life seems perfect until his wife Ellen and their children are kidnapped by terrorists one day. Set in Italy, his rich family are ambused at home by a series of masked intruders who promptly dispense of all the staff with a series of machine guns/silencers. The wife and two children are kidnapped and held to ransome. Despite protests from the government and the police, then father wants to give in to their demands and pay up the money. The Police convince him to bug the ransom and in a drop that goes wrong, the kidnappers trick the police and lure them to a warehouse which is then blown up, killing the chief of polices son in the process who was leading the investigation. In mean time the fathers PI contacts receives information that the kidnappers are holding the children at an abandoned Monastry in the Italian mountains, of which a direct assault would surely result in the childrens death. James Coburn plays McCabe, Ellen's ex-husband who hires a crew of professional hang gliders to help him rescue her and the kids from the terrorist's mountain top realising this would be the way to approach the monastry unseen and unheard, the father hires the group to assault the monastry and rescue the kids. During the assault the alarm is raised just as the group are escaping. The lead bad guy gives chase in a helicopter and kills a number of the group but with the kids out of danger the army assault the monastry directly leading to a fairly spectacular shoot out as the rest of the kidnappers try to hold them off. Eventually they are overwhelmed, the bad guy is outwitted and the survivors and the kids escape reuniting the kids with their father.

Sky Riders was shown twice on terrestial TV a few years after it released, hence one of the reasons I know it so well and the other it is always remembered is becayse it was considerably better than Avalanche express, the film that myself and my friend Martin actually went to watch and we didnt even know it was a double bill, which was a rare thing in those days, and the film wasn't advertised with the other movie. We actually thought when it started it was a short, which they sometimes played in those days. It was also called Assualt On The Foridden Fortress, which sounds like some dicey Jackie Chan film!

It would be very keen to see if anyone else remembers this movie and if it was called something else in the USA as searches I may well have been made in Italian and dubbed, but I am pretty sure this was not the case. I also seem to recall that the main bad guy had a Jeff Lynne haircut, which would be very indicative of music of the time.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Azanti
    Sorry this isn't a Brit film, but this double bill was unique to the UK I believe and it was directed by the same director as Zulu Dawn. I know what it was called, but would to know if others remember it.

It was an American Movie, which in the UK was released as part of a double bill with the troubled movie AVALANCE EXPRESS and in the UK, It went by the title of SKYRIDERS
    Sky Riders (1976)

Known as Hostages in the States

It has been available commercially until fairly recently but is now discontinued. But that does mean that you might find commercially released copies on places like eBay

Directed by Douglas Hickox who, as you say, directed Zulu Dawn.

I've never heard of it

Steve

Senior Member Country: United States torinfan's Avatar
    Liked
    71 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook
    Sky Riders (1976)

Known as Hostages in the States

It has been available commercially until fairly recently but is now discontinued. But that does mean that you might find commercially released copies on places like eBay

Directed by Douglas Hickox who, as you say, directed Zulu Dawn.

I've never heard of it

Steve
    I've never heard of it either.

It almost sounds like one of those really obscure films shown on MST3K.

Senior Member Country: Aaland dremble wedge's Avatar
    Liked
    85 times
    I remember it, lots of hanging on to helicopters and nice Greek locations.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    I remember it well, it was quite good. I went with the first Mrs Bat to see it at the cinema. It highlighted the then 'flavour of the month' sport of hang-gliding .... the title song, 'Sky High' was by Jigsaw and was a huge hit worldwide.

Liked
    0 times
    I remember The Evening Standard doing a competition to win tickets to see it.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain vincenzo's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by batman
    the title song, 'Sky High' was by Jigsaw and was a huge hit worldwide.
    Jigsaw's Sky High was the theme from The Man From Hong Kong.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    Quote Originally Posted by vincenzo
    Jigsaw's Sky High was the theme from The Man From Hong Kong.
    Doh .... of course it was, and I have that film on dvd as well.

There was some hang gliding in MFHK as well.