Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    13 times
    I want to get a Musketeers flick to watch with the family. The only ones I can remember seeing are the Oliver Reed one's from the 1970's. I haven't seen them since and have no idea how they hold up. Also I have a vague memory of Gene Kelly as a Musketeer - perhaps just glimpsed on TV. Any one got amy recommendations ?

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    I'd stick with the Ollie Reed one.

Not because I'm a huge Ollie fan - but it has a stellar cast, great swashbuckling and also a dash of humour. Great stuff!

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    The Oliver Reed one is great but you do only get half the story if you just watch the first film (though it means it ends before it gets all tragic and depressing which might be a good idea if you're having a feelgood session). The Gene Kelly one is great too - 1940s Glorious Technicolour and you get to see Robert Coote swashbuckling heroically which is all I ask in a film.

Senior Member Country: Aaland dremble wedge's Avatar
    Liked
    85 times
    It would be sheer madness and possibly dangerous to watch anything other than the Richard Lester version.

If possible watch both The Three Musketeers and The Four Musketeers in one sitting as it is a single film divided into two parts.

The only way you'll better this is by reading the books...

Senior Member Country: England jaycad's Avatar
    Liked
    100 times
    there's also the disney 90's version with that pile of s***e sting/bryan adams/rod stewart song,but i imagine that it would mirror the soundtrack!

Senior Member Country: UK Mr Sloane's Avatar
    Liked
    239 times
    name='dremble wedge']It would be sheer madness and possibly dangerous to watch anything other than the Richard Lester version.

If possible watch both The Three Musketeers and The Four Musketeers in one sitting as it is a single film divided into two parts.

The only way you'll better this is by reading the books...

While I enjoy both films I would be wary of watching them straight after each other. The first film is played for such laughs ( and no complaints for me on that) I would find the tragedy of the second a little jarring.

Senior Member Country: Aaland dremble wedge's Avatar
    Liked
    85 times
    name='Mr Sloane']While I enjoy both films I would be wary of watching them straight after each other. The first film is played for such laughs ( and no complaints for me on that) I would find the tragedy of the second a little jarring.

You have to blame Dumas for that. It's all part of life's rich pageant...

Senior Member Country: UK Mr Sloane's Avatar
    Liked
    239 times
    name='dremble wedge']You have to blame Dumas for that. It's all part of life's rich pageant...

I agree but Mr Lester certainly stresses the laughs.

As per Dumas I can still remember reading the Count of Monte Cristo as a child. He certainly did not hold back with adult themes and showing his characters warts and all. Still one of my favourite books.

Liked
    0 times
    After the family have gone to bed you might want to try a french effort called "Revenge of the Musketeers", starring Sophie Marceau and Philippe Noiret. Nice mix of action and humour and, more importantly, Sophie has never looked more stunning.

Regards - Bernard

Senior Member Country: UK jonpsych's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    I like the cartoon version that they used to have in the Banana Splits, that is my favourite (certainly better than the live action Danger Island bit)

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    The first two Richard Lester are IMHO the best Musketeer films, the third one unsurprisingly suffers in comparison given the tragic circumstances of it's making.

I love the Gene Kelly version (Lana Turner looks ravishing and Vincent Price is suitably sinister) with all the acrobatics blended into the fights.

The Sutherland/Sheen version is dreadful IMHO, but does have Rebecca De Mornay in it which is always a bonus.

Liked
    0 times
    ITV3, Saturday 28 March 2009;

The Three Musketeers (1973) - 6:00AM

The Four Musketeers (1974) - 1:20PM

Senior Member Country: England jaycad's Avatar
    Liked
    100 times
    name='batman']The first two Richard Lester are IMHO the best Musketeer films, the third one unsurprisingly suffers in comparison given the tragic circumstances of it's making.

I love the Gene Kelly version (Lana Turner looks ravishing and Vincent Price is suitably sinister) with all the acrobatics blended into the fights.

The Sutherland/Sheen version is dreadful IMHO, but does have Rebecca De Mornay in it which is always a bonus.

she will always be the evil babysitter who took on the name of a cod based dish in my eyes!

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    Richard Lester on The Three Musketeers:

At the time when we were starting to do the duels, the first thing I do is get books on the history of medicine at that time and the history of architecture or whatever you can find out about ordinary people lived, what they grew. In dueling, almost all of the Hollywood duels were invented by mostly Hungarian fencers who were ex-Olympic fencers of the 1920s and 1930s and they all used very small swords and they would parry on their back foot. If you look at any of Stewart Granger's, Errol Flyn's and Fairbank's films, it was all that.

But I found a book from 1615 - the musketeers was set in 1627 - which tells you that the sword was huge and you didn't parry with the blade, you parried with a main gauchen, which was a dagger or a cloak, your weight's on your front foot and you hack with the sword - you didn't stab, you hacked. Now the minute you do that, the way the person fights is totally different from anybody else's fighting, but that was the way they fought. So give dear old Oliver Reed the instruction hack at somebody and he just went at it and terrified the stunt men he was fighting, who would be seen retching in the corner.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain vincenzo's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    Without doubt the Oliver Reed Three/Four Musketeers. Sheer brilliance.

Member Country: Wales
    Liked
    0 times
    Not strictly the Three Musketeers but you could consider watching The Man In The Iron Mask featuring Leonardo DiCaprio, Gabrielle Byrne, Gerard Depardou, Jeremy Irons, John Malkovich. It basically brings the Musketeers out of retirement and rescue the Man In The Iron Mask.

Hope this helps

Howse

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    13 times
    Cheers to you all for the comments. I'm going to start out with the first Ollver Reed, if it goes over well I'll get the sequel. I'll keep Gene Kelly on the back burner for now.

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    [quote]name='billy bentley']...I'm going to start out with the first Ollver Reed, if it goes over well I'll get the sequel]

Probably a bit late to let you know, Billy, but of interest to new readers of this thread. The first two Richard Lester DVDs have been given away on the front of English newspapers, sometime over the last year or so. I'm always stumbling across copies of them at car-boot sales. They normally go for between a mighty ten & twenty new pence!! Worth buying just for the piccies of The Ollster on the covers, but the movies themselves...just a joy to watch. Save them for a bank holiday treat. I force copies on all my friends!

Senior Member Country: United States will.15's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    There are two parodies.

The Three Muskateers (1939) with Don Ameche and the Ritz Brothers.

The Three-Must-Get-Theres, a silent, starring Max Linder, which is vert funny.