Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: St Trinian's

Liked
    0 times
    I saw it on Friday in Manchester but can't comment really as I fell asleep twice during the film although my wife says she enjoyed it, although she did say that of all the characters Russell Brand didn't seem 'to work' in the role of Flash Harry.

Liked
    0 times
    Saw it today with an audience comprised of mainly young female tenagers i found it amusing and they loved it.Music was not at all loud.Your just a bunch of old fogeys!

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    I saw this garbage last night, how the hell this got made and more importantly why did Ealing get involved, absolutely diabolical

Senior Member Country: Aaland dremble wedge's Avatar
    Liked
    85 times
    Quote Originally Posted by orpheum
    Saw it today with an audience comprised of mainly young female tenagers i found it amusing and they loved it.Music was not at all loud.Your just a bunch of old fogeys!
    I haven't seen it yet but I'm sure I will. Anything with such a catholic mix as Rupert Everett, Anna Chancellor, Lena Headey, Fenella Woolgar, Celia Imrie, Girls Aloud and Stephen Fry in it has to be worth viewing!

My 16-yr-old god-daughter has seen it and loved it, I'm fairly sure that's the demographic they're aiming for and it seems to be doing okay at the box office (the only British film that's in the top ten).

I wonder if The Belles of St Trinians received a similarly harrumphing reaction when released in '54?

Senior Member Country: Scotland
    Liked
    0 times
    My two teenage daughters have seen it and loved it they have also seen the original and don't seem to have any problem with the remake.

I am the one who has the problem,I love the original and haven't any intention of seeing the remake maybe I should take some lessons from them and put away my prejudices.

Terry

Liked
    0 times
    Given that there was little competition it was bound to do well.I am happy to say that i ignored the ctitical comments on this thread went and saw it and enjoyed it.Clearly if you are upset at the prospect of Belles of St Trinians being remase then dont see it.Otherwise go along without any preconceived notions.

Liked
    0 times
    I saw it just after Christmas - its not dire by any means and has a few amusing moments. My main complaint was with Russell Brand in the Flash Harry part immortalised by George Cole. Whatever thespian qualities Brand possesses ( and I'm still not convinced he has any ) are decidedly absent here. Rupert Everett is fun in drag and I must confess to a small frisson in the errrrr.... intimate exchanges with Colin Firth but don't worry I have some tablets.

Liked
    0 times
    Saw this yesterday with my 10-year-old daughter and her friend and we all enjoyed it. It's years since I saw "Belles of St Trinians" but I don't remember it being a masterpiece (we're not talking about Kind Hearts and Coronets or The Third Man here), just a well-crafted, entertaining time-passer. Surely the same is true of this effort. The jokes were pretty basic and some of the drugs references seemed out of place, but I thought on the whole the film survived on the enthusiasm of the performances. Rupert Everett, Celia Imrie, Stephen Fry, Lucy Punch and others all put in sterling work, and as others have commented, even Russell Brand is pretty good here. In the end the film - though undoubtedly crude a lot of the time - had a general feeling of good nature and youthful energy which sent us out with a smile on our faces.

Way better than the Wildcats of St Trinians, anyway (which seems to have sunk into deserved obscurity, not even included in the recent boxed sets) and a far more successful attempt to revisit a franchise than Carry on Columbus.

Senior Member Country: Aaland dremble wedge's Avatar
    Liked
    85 times
    Saw it today and found it entertaining.

Liked
    0 times
    Excuse me for wading in here - I've been a member for some months but never seen a reason to post.

I have to say though I've seen the New St Trinians and I thoroughly enjoyed it, despite some sloppy direction in places. Pay close attention and it actually pays tribute to Ronald Searle's original cartoons on more than one occassion, which i thought was a lovely touch.

I actually had the opportunity to compare it directly with Belles of St Trinians, and while that is a wonderful in it's own right, in some respects this film (dare i say it)improves on that. Of course Rupert Everett is no Alistair Simm, but let's face it they could have cast Derek Jacobi as the headmistress and people would still be saying the same thing.

No where this film succeeds is not in the casting of the teachers but of the girls themselves, you have Talulah Riley as Annabelle, the heart and soul of the film transforming from shy awkward daddie's girl to red-blooded St Trinian, and Gemma Arterton who commands every scene she's in, between them they pretty much steal the movie from under Everett & Firth's noses.

Look back to Belles, or any of the early films, and you'll find the St Trinian's girls weren't particularly memorable, generic naughty brats and sulty sirens with nothing inbetween and they were too often overshadowed by the staff. but here you have a wonderful array of individuals, not just Riley and Arterton but pretty much all of them from the 10 year old twins who it seems are allowed to play with explosives, but god forbid they should smoke, through to the Posh totty with their shallow aspirations towards celebrity culture.

Okay it's not exactly Hot Fuzz, but it's still better than 90% of the comedies i've seen in the past 12 months

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    Perhaps a Bat re-think is in order ... several people I know have seen it as well and all have enjoyed it. A 'guilty pleasure' DVD rental from the library methinks.

Bats.

Liked
    0 times
    I just watched The Great St Trinians train robbery,recorded over Christmas.Despite lots of familiar faces and Launder & Gilliatt at the helm it is not very funny and inferior to St Trinians.The colour is quite garish.Also remember that this film was made over a quarter of a century after the original film in the series so originality has never been the watchword of the film industry

Liked
    0 times
    My oppinion on the new film is very simple.

I thaught it was quite a good thing though the comparisons between this one and the old one remind me of the comparison between a new Apple Mac computer and a Pc.

Could have been made really good if only for a few minor changes such as the mac having a right click button which to me is the theme tune difference, the origional worked better. Also the macs idea of a taskbar is not as good as the pc version just like i feel that a different flash harry or indeed just a different layout of his character such as origionally whistling to him and him emerging from the bushes as opposed to him arriving in a pimped up people carrier type car. Apart froim these though the film was rather good though of course Rupert Everett has nothing on Alaster Sim but maybe that was as was put to me everett is actually gay whereas sim was straight and you need a straight actor to play a drag roll successfully.

Liked
    0 times
    I absolutely love this film. (2007 version)

It deffinately portrays modern day life at girls schools...I should know I went to one!

I reckon its more of a girls film but the dialogue is fantastic.

Plus....Girls aloud are in it!

What do you all reckon?

Senior Member Country: England jaycad's Avatar
    Liked
    100 times
    it has gemma arterton in it so a male chauvenist thumbs up fom me!

Senior Member Country: UK EHV_Emmetts's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    Apparently it well enough at the box office for another one to be made.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    it is extremely funny... there is a sense of the girls having individual cliques and personalities which wasn't the case with the older version.Of course Sim and Cole are irreplacable...

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    I found it a chuckabout bit of fun-plus Gemma Arterton looked jolly nice

Liked
    1 times
    Just seen the St Trinians 2007 version with Rupert Everett

did nt really work did it ?

wonder what it did in the box office ? 2 mill ?

Can't think that they ever bothered to dist in US ...or did they ?

There was no real glam in the cast and no quality cameo parts like ....... Dora Bryan in former times.

A bit of glam finally appeared on screen right at the very end in the shape of 'Girls Aloud' ... but blink and you missed them.

But worst of all... Rupert Everett just did nt hack it.. they did nt even try to glam him up as a woman.. he just looked stupid with that scarf on his head !

It was "Rupert Everett does Esther Ranzen" Mathew.

The scenes with Stephen Fry and Russel Brand picked things up a little but basically the film did n't work.... let down by a weak script ... the girls stealing a poxy painting ....yawn...

Looks like the St Trinians film industry is finally in the scrap yard.. along with the 'Carry Ons' and 'Hammer Horror'..

there 'll never be a reprise...

( poor Peter Rogers passed away last week too...the brains behind the Carry Ons )

ah well... they had a good run.....

Liked
    151 times
    Quote Originally Posted by lovegod

wonder what it did in the box office ? 2 mill ?

It did rather well, hence there's a sequel in production.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast