Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    Below are some rare original 35mm CinemaScope clippings from Sammy Going South and how the anamorphically squeezed images on the film looked on the wide screen when stretched out by the anamorphic lens on the projector.

Liked
    98 times
    Just arrived in my collection and scanned from an early 1963 edition of 'Top Numbers Book of the Stars',
    these two full page studio portraits of Edward G. Robinson and Fergus McClelland in Sammy Going South.

Liked
    98 times
    Just arrived in my collection, this rare original 8 x 10 press still from Sammy Going South showing Sammy Hartland (Fergus McClelland) with his mother (Patricia English) at the beginning of the film. In all my twelve and a half years on eBay, I've never seen this still turn up on there before. Two more rare ones are expected some time next week. So watch this thread.

Liked
    98 times
    Two more rare original 8 x 10 glossy press stills from Sammy Going South that arrived in my collection this afternoon. TOP: From his vantage point on the balcony of his apartment in Port Said, Sammy (Fergus McClelland) looks down on the build up of Egyptian forces in the street below. BOTTOM: In the Egyptian desert, the pederastic Syrian pedlar (Zia Mohyeddin), speaking softly in Arabic, tells Sammy he is a lovely boy.

Liked
    98 times
    Just arrived today in my collection, three more vintage 8 x 10 press stills from Sammy Going South. (TOP): Sammy Hartland (Fergus McClelland) looks in horror at the aftermath of his home having just been bombed by the RAF. (CENTRE): Cocky Wainwright (Edward G. Robinson) hands a cheque to his partner Lem (Harry H. Corbett) buying out his share of their diamond smuggling business. (BOTTOM): Cocky tells Sammy's aunt Jane (Zena Walker) that she must let Sammy finish his epic journey on his own and be there to meet him when he arrives at her hotel in Durban.

Liked
    98 times
    Just arrived in my collection, two more vintage 8 x 10 press stills of Fergus McClelland as Sammy and Zena Walker as his aunt Jane in Sammy Going South.

Liked
    98 times
    I've just seen this excellent and moving description of Sammy before and after his journey in a customer comment by K. Hewlett on amazon uk and thought it deserved to be included here:

"Although all scenes are memorable two in particular tell the real story behind the film. Towards the beginning Sammy is rolling on the floor playing with a toy whilst his mother is stood nearby. A boy who behaves younger than his obvious physical appearance. Towards the end he stands outside his aunt’s home looking at a little girl. Possibly his cousin. He is still a boy but now exhibits the command and stature of a man."
    Last edited by darrenburnfan; 21-07-14 at 08:33 AM.

Liked
    98 times
    The latest vintage 8 x 10 press still from Sammy Going South added to my collection, showing a bedraggled Sammy aboard the riverboat on the White Nile heading for the Sudan.

Liked
    98 times
    The two latest vintage 8 x 10 press stills from Sammy Going South that arrived in my collection today.
    TOP: Sammy, his dirty clothing tattered and torn, arrives in the Sudan.
    BOTTOM: After an epic journey of 5,000 miles that has taken him nearly six months to complete,
    Sammy finally arrives at his aunt Jane's hotel in Durban, South Africa.

Senior Member Country: England Nakke's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    I may have to see this film as this thread is constantly on top and is starting to haunt me. In essence, what makes this film so good?

Liked
    98 times
    Well, Nakke, I won't repeat any sypnosis of the film that's already been posted on this thread and, reading a synopsis, it would be up to you to decide whether it's your type of picture and whether or not you'd want to obtain the DVD of it. But suffice to say that the story is very unusual and something that hadn't been done before and hasn't been done since. Despite its outward appearance, it is not a kid's picture, but more an adult film about a kid and although Sammy is only ten years old, he acts more like a twenty year old, such is the effect on him of the traumatic experiences he undergoes throughout the film. It is, also, a very inspirational film and many people have said that it had a very profound influence on their lives and made them realise that if Sammy could go through all those terrible life experiences and survive to tell about it, then so could they. It is, as someone once noted, a very serious film posing as a simple one and one can only speculate how much more dramatic and disturbing it would have been if Sir Michael Balcon hadn't ordered key scenes to be removed from it before the premiere because director Alexander MacKendrick's idea of what the film should portray didn't match Balcon's idea of the Disneyesque Boys Own Adventure he thought he was making.

Liked
    98 times
    The two latest original British 8 x 10 press stills from Sammy Going South to arrive in my collection,
    with Fergus McClelland; Constance Cummings and Edward G. Robinson.

Liked
    98 times
    Original sheet music from 1963. This song, recorded by Fergus McClelland to promote the film Sammy Going South, wasn't actually featured in the film. However, the melody is taken from a part of Tristram Cary's score entitled "Cocky's Theme". The record was supposed to have been released in time for the film's Royal Film Performance premiere at the Odeon, Leicester Square, London, on Monday, March 18th, 1963, so that copies of it would be on sale in the cinema foyer. But for some reason, Decca put the release date back to April, 1963, so that put paid to that idea.

Liked
    98 times
    For anyone who's interested and has a 16mm projector, this British eBay seller is selling a complete 16mm print of Sammy Going South quite cheap. He says the colour is fading to pink, so it must be an Eastman Color print. But he doesn't say if it's a CinemaScope print. You'd have to ask him about that. If it is, you'll need a wide screen and an anamorphic lens to be able to show it properly. As it's the complete film, I'll assume it's a sound print.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16mm-Film-...item259a90957e

Liked
    98 times
    Just arrived in my collection. This Post Card size photo showing Fergus McClelland on location in Mombasa, Kenya, standing by the chair with his name on it in May, 1962. On the back of the photo is his signature. Whether this is really his signature or not, I don't know, but it looks like the handwriting of an eleven year old and is probably one of those promotional photos that were given away at the time and which Fergus signed for a fan. This cropped version of an original landscape shape 8 x 10 press photo shows the right hand side of the original photo. On the larger version, you can see all of Fergus's name on the back rest of the chair.

Liked
    98 times
    Just arrived in my collection. Original 8 x 10 press stills of Orlando Martins as Abu Lubaba and Harry H. Corbett as Lem.

Liked
    98 times
    Here is a very are item indeed that I won yesterday on eBay. In fact, it's so rare, I've never seen it before...an original 2 guineas stalls ticket for the 1963 Royal Film Performance of Sammy Going South. Patrons had to turn up in evening dress (although Fergus McClelland arrived wearing his school uniform). I presume the tickets for the circle would have cost 4 guineas, so in modern currency, taking inflation into account, the seat prices would be around �35 and �70 respectively. I don't think the Queen Mother was required to buy a ticket, though. This is certainly a scoop for my collection and cost me �10:50 (if I'd been the only bidder, I'd have got it for only �1.99)

Liked
    98 times

Liked
    98 times
    An original 8 x 10 publicity photo taken in Africa of Fergus McClelland with a Bush Baby and Edward G. Robinson.

Liked
    98 times
    This very rare 8 x 10 glossy press photo has just arrived in my collection. It shows Fergus McClelland on location in east Africa for Sammy Going South in 1962, with John Kingsley-Heath, a white hunter assigned to the film unit. He is showing Fergus the tooth of a lion that attacked him and bit him in the thigh when he was on Safari. Fergus appears to be leaning out of the rear of a Land Rover.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast