Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    John Kingsley-Heath (1926 - 2011) obituary in The Telegraph.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obit...ley-Heath.html

Liked
    98 times
    A vintage press still showing Fergus McClelland and Edward G. Robinson briskly walking through the bush, accompanied by native bearers.

Liked
    98 times
    I think that this vintage 8 x 10 press photo may depict a cold evening in the African bush, as Edward G. Robinson has a woollen
    blanket around his shoulders as he talks to Fergus McClelland. As this was not in the film, it may well be a candid shot.

Liked
    98 times
    Supper beside the Syrian peddler's camp fire for Sammy (Fergus McClelland). An original 8 x 10 glossy press still.

Liked
    98 times
    Fergus McClelland chats to an un-named man on location in Mombasa, Kenya, in 1962 and below that, Alexander Mackendrick directs Fergus on location in east Africa.

Liked
    98 times
    I had a bit of good luck recently when, for the first time in all my fourteen years on eBay, the original April, 1963, 45 rpm Decca single of Sammy Going South was listed for auction on there. I bought the even rarer demo disc of it about nine years ago, but this was the first time the regular release copy had turned up. The starting price was only 99 pence and, as I didn't think anyone else would want it, I thought I was going to get it really cheap. It was in excellent condition and in its original sleeve, too. Well, as it turned out, half a dozen other bidders wanted it to and I had to bid a huge amount at the end of the auction in order the blast the other bidders out of the water with all my cannons blazing in a broadside to end all broadsides and secure it for myself. Well, I got it alright, but, with Recorded Delivery postage and everything, it cost me �50. I thought well, it may never appear on eBay again, so I went all out to get it. This song, which never appeared in the film, was written to promote it, with the melody coming from a part of Tristram Cary�s score entitled Cockey�s Theme. It was meant to be released in time for the film's Royal Film Performance premiere at the Odeon, Leicester Square, on Monday, March 18th, 1963, so that it would be on sale in the foyer. But Decca put back the release date to April, 1963, so that put paid to that idea. Fergus McClelland also has this record, but I don�t know of anyone else who has it, besides he and I.

Senior Member Country: England billy farmer's Avatar
    Liked
    308 times
    Darrenburnfan, you did well to win the above single, I sometimes bid for items, on eBay, but have never bid as high for an item, like you did for the above single.

A Press Photo (Auction item) of Tessa Wyatt, recently on eBay, was sold for over �30, I would never pay that much for a Press Photo.
    Last edited by billy farmer; 14-12-15 at 07:27 PM.

Liked
    98 times
    Well, I don't normally pay that much for a single, Billy, but I'd been waiting patiently for many years for it to turn up on eBay and thought to myself well, here it is at long last and I'm going to get it now if it's the last thing I do. It was a close run thing though, as I only won it by a margin of 50 pence. I reckon the seller was surprised when it went for that much, seeing that he listed it at only 99 pence. However, good news for the losers. If it ever comes on eBay again...which is not very likely...I won't be bidding against them for obvious reasons.

Liked
    98 times
    Here is a companion photo to the one on post 200; page 10 of this thread. It shows Fergus McClelland on location in east Africa for Sammy Going South in 1962, with John Kingsley-Heath, a white hunter assigned to the film unit. He is showing Fergus the tooth of a lion that attacked him and bit him in the thigh when he was on Safari.

Liked
    98 times
    A friend sent me this photocopy of a cutting from an early 1963 newspaper (I don't know which one). I'm sure the original photo of Fergus McClelland that is seen on the cutting would have looked far better than is reproduced here. But the write-up is interesting.

Last edited by darrenburnfan; 25-02-16 at 09:47 AM.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain bvs's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    We watched Sammy Going South this evening and we both thought it was a lovely film !
    I had seen it originally when I was 10 and SWMBO bought the DVD for my birthday treat

Liked
    98 times
    Glad you liked it, bvs (although I don't know what SWMBO stands for). Last night, I was watching a pan and scan DVD-R of the American release, A Boy Ten Feet Tall, with its sweeping, romantic replacement score by Les Baxter and, although it was heavily cut compared to the British release version (forty minutes were cut out of it), as they had the original 128 minute version to work with, their version contains little scenes here and there that are not on the present British DVD release, including the part where Sammy tells the Syrian that his parents are dead, which was vital to the narrative, in informing the Syrian that Sammy was now an orphan. Conversely, the part in the British version where Sammy tells Cocky Wainwright that his parents were killed in a raid on Port Said is missing from the American version, which gave American audiences the impression that Cocky never asks Sammy why he is travelling from Port Said to Durban.

Here is a rather worn print of the American trailer. The voice over got it wrong. It took Sammy nearly six months to travel the length of Africa, not 'a few short weeks'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yajy1avLo7U
    Last edited by darrenburnfan; 12-03-16 at 08:09 AM.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain bvs's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    SWMBO = She who must be obeyed : )
    And many thanks for all the background info about the film - lovely to see the stills etc

Liked
    98 times
    You're welcome. I had thought that Swmbo was maybe a Swahili word, like Jumbo.

Liked
    98 times
    It's not often these days that I come across another vintage press still from Sammy Going South...the last one to be uploaded being ten months ago. But here is the latest one to arrive in my collection. After the accidental death of his erstwhile Syrian guide, Sammy takes the man's donkeys and wallet and heads south across the Egyptian desert.

Liked
    98 times
    "YOU FILTHY ENGLISH PIG!" A newly orphaned and traumatised Sammy Hartland (Fergus McClelland) is viciously attacked in a Port Said alleyway by the Egyptians he thought were his friends after the British air raid on the city and, running away absolutely terrified, narrowly escapes with his life. A dramatic early scene from Sammy Going South.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011