Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    Yes, Freddy, I know what he means. It's difficult to watch Harry H. Corbett in a film without thinking he's Steptoe's son or that daft detective from Carry On Screaming. Some people just can't play a villain and are better suited to comedy.

Liked
    98 times
    Early Scenes From Sammy Going South

The port of Mombasa stood in for Port Said.

Sammy cries out for his mother...

...and gets what he wants in the most horrible way.

Mahmoud attacks Sammy, whom he sees as representing the British who have just killed his father.

Scenes of the Syrian shown lusting after Sammy were heavily toned down so that the film would qualify for a "U" certificate from the British Board of Film Censors, although some of the cut scenes still made it to the release print.

Sammy on his long journey down the River Nile (Front-Of-House still).

Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    2 times
    Saw this film at a morning trade show in London..Ah!my days in the press world.

Hurry up and get this film onto DVD then,Eastmancolor has a notorious habit of turning pink.

Liked
    98 times
    You're right, picture show, all my old 35mm Eastman Color clippings from my projectionist days in the 1960's have all faded to a pinky hue by now, while all the 35mm Technicolor clippings of the same vintage have not faded at all. It makes me wonder why, with Sir Michael Balcon spending so much on Sammy Going South, he didn't splash out a bit more and shoot it in the far superior and unfadeable Technicolor.

Senior Member Country: UK Freddy's Avatar
    Liked
    243 times
    Great stills dbf, thanks very much.

Freddy

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    12 times
    In those days darrenburnfan, they didn't know that Eastman Colour would fade...Technicolor Dye transfer lives on thanks to its amazing process...although television hated it!

Film Man

Liked
    0 times
    Amazon.co.uk has the DVD release date listed as Feb. 15, 2010.

Liked
    98 times
    This is great news and I hope that it will be the full 130 minutes version at long last and not the version with over ten minutes cut out that was shown a few times on Channel 4. However, I won't be pre-ordering it yet, as Optimum are notorious for announcing release dates for their DVD's that never happen. So we shall see.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain vincenzo's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    No listing as yet on the BBFC's site (other than the old cinema one) but worth keeping an eye on it. Optimum are normally pretty good with quick BBFC submissions though their release dates (and DVD extras) leave much to be desired.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    12 times
    Very well spotted Chas speed...I have told Jonathan Balcon (Sir Michael's Son) who holds the rights...he hadn't heard that at long last it was going to be released on DVD. Mind you let's celebrate when it actualy happens!

Film Man.

Liked
    98 times
    The main problem with Optimum releases is that except for a scene selection, they are devoid of any extras and, as far as I know, never have a commentary on them. They could go to town on this and ask Fergus McClelland (now aged 59) to do the commentary. I would think that's he's the only cast member still alive after all this time. Oh, yes, and we want the transfer in full 2.35:1 CinemaScope and not 16 x 9.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain vincenzo's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    Optimum started off fairly well extras-wise (Emmanuelle, Henry: Portrait Of A Serial Killer etc) but have dropped the ball of late.

They were exceptional at sourcing the most complete and uncut prints around too (ie Darling, Fanny Hill, The Exterminator etc), but their forthcoming release of the shorter Lost Continent print is a bit disappointing.

Liked
    0 times
    Let's not start complaining before they even release it, besides if it does well it would probably get a Blu-ray release or a release in the states and maybe one of those releases could get some bonus extras.

Liked
    98 times
    Today, I sent to following email to Mr John Rodden, General Manager of Optimum Releasing:

Dear John,

I understand that Optimum are due to release a DVD of The Royal Performance Film of 1963, Sammy Going South, starring Edward G. Robinson and Fergus McClelland, on February 15th, 2010. Firstly, I would like to ask if the DVD will be in its original CinemaScope aspect ratio of 2.35:1 and secondly, whether it will, at long last, be the full 129 miniute version that was originally released in cinemas. The reason I ask is that the first time it was shown on television in this country, on BBC2 at Christmas, 1970, unusually for the BBC, they ran a version with ten minutes cut out of it...a 119 minutes version that ran for 114 minutes at PAL running speed. Subsequently, all television screenings since then, mostly on Channel 4, who probably obtained the film from Canal Plus, have been of this cut version.

Please would you ensure that the version on your DVD will be the original full length version as shown in cinemas in 1963? A full length 129 minutes version would run 124 minutes on a PAL DVD. So if you know your DVD runs around 124 minutes, it will be the complete version.

I understand that Optimum DVD's rarely, if ever, have any extras on them, but an original trailer for the film would be most welcome (if you could find one) and a commentary by the now 59 years old Fergus McClelland would be a welcome added bonus, as he is the only member of the original cast and crew who is still alive. Yours Sincerely, ect.

I received an automated reply saying that John Rodden was ill at the moment and not in his office. I will let you know what he says if and when he does reply.

Liked
    0 times
    Today, I sent to following email to Mr John Rodden, General Manager of Optimum Releasing:

Dear John,

I understand that Optimum are due to release a DVD of The Royal Performance Film of 1963, Sammy Going South, starring Edward G. Robinson and Fergus McClelland, on February 15th, 2010. Firstly, I would like to ask if the DVD will be in its original CinemaScope aspect ratio of 2.35:1 and secondly, whether it will, at long last, be the full 129 miniute version that was originally released in cinemas. The reason I ask is that the first time it was shown on television in this country, on BBC2 at Christmas, 1970, unusually for the BBC, they ran a version with ten minutes cut out of it...a 119 minutes version that ran for 114 minutes at PAL running speed. Subsequently, all television screenings since then, mostly on Channel 4, who probably obtained the film from Canal Plus, have been of this cut version.

Please would you ensure that the version on your DVD will be the original full length version as shown in cinemas in 1963? A full length 129 minutes version would run 124 minutes on a PAL DVD. So if you know your DVD runs around 124 minutes, it will be the complete version.

I understand that Optimum DVD's rarely, if ever, have any extras on them, but an original trailer for the film would be most welcome (if you could find one) and a commentary by the now 59 years old Fergus McClelland would be a welcome added bonus, as he is the only member of the original cast and crew who is still alive. Yours Sincerely, ect.

I received an automated reply saying that John Rodden was ill at the moment and not in his office. I will let you know what he says if and when he does reply.
    I'm sure Fergus could do a great 2nd audio commentary, since he is a speech therapist (or something). It would also be cool and cheap if they stuck on that song that Fergus sung that is on the Youtube clip.

Liked
    98 times
    You're right, Chas, Fergus is a voice and drama coach and has a wonderful speaking voice. But I can't think of any Optimum Releasing DVD that has ever had a commentary on it, more's the pity. It would be wonderful if they would go to town on this DVD and have a commentary on it, but I don't hold out much hope. If only Anchor Bay or some other company could have released it instead.

Liked
    98 times
    Still no reply as yet from John Rodden at Optimum. So yesterday, I re-sent him my first email of a week earlier. I'm now waiting to see if I get a reply to that.

Liked
    98 times
    I finally got this reply from Optimum Releasing this afternoon:

"Hi, hope you’re well. Thanks for your enquiry about the above title and the run-time for the version that we will be releasing.

We were actually already aware of the two differing versions of the film and so the delay in replying to you has come whilst we continue our search for the full-length version. The master we have is the 119 minute one.

We would of course much prefer to release the full-length original version but as you mention in your email to John, only the shortened version seems to have been in existence since 1970 when the BBC first aired it.

We always endeavour to release the original full length versions wherever possible, but I’m sure you can appreciate that with these old films sometimes the materials simply don’t exist anymore. (Incidentally, this is also often the reason that we end up having to take things off our schedule or postpone them).

So I will let you know when we have confirmation of our release plans.

We are also looking into the possibility of bonus features on this release, and are in touch with Fergus McLelland to this end.

I hope to have more news for you in the coming months.

Best wishes,

Candy

Candy Vincent-Smith

Head of Catalogue Development, DVD Promotions & PR

Optimum Releasing

50, Marshall Street,

London,

W1F 9BQ

Switchboard: 020 7534 2700

dl: +44 (0)20 7534 2722

email: candy@optimumreleasing.com "

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The big question here is: What has become of the original full-length version from 1963?

Senior Member Country: UK Freddy's Avatar
    Liked
    243 times
    Many thanks darren. Looking forward to the release hopefully early next year.

Freddy

Liked
    98 times
    Thanks, Freddy. I have emailed her back and told her what Film Man said about the negative being last heard of as being in the vaults at Bucks Laboratories in Slough. I have given her their email address and phone number and suggested she contact them about it. You never know your luck. They may still have it and it may be the complete version. I have also told her about this thread having received over 6,000 hits since we started it. So there's definitely some interest there. I wonder if Michael Balcon's son, who hasn't posted on here for a while, knows the whereabouts of the complete release version from 1963.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast