Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    I wondered what he meant by that, too. Perhaps he was referring to scenes where the black Africans were hauling the truck across the river on the ferry and singing as they did it. If so, well, that's what black Africans do, isn't it? Or did do in the period the film was set in.
    Well, it's what black Africans do in films...

Liked
    0 times
    Well, it's what black Africans do in films...
    Let's face it, you weren't in an illegal diamond smuggling mine in Africa in the late 1950's or early 60's and neither was I. It's safe to say they have a different culture over there and anybody who is trying to prove "Sammy Going South" is racist has a pretty weak case. There are plenty of "PC types" who like to label all films made before 1980 as racist, yet they are not offended by such performers as Snoop Dogg acting like a Pimp during an award show. Anyway, let's get back to hoping they get the uncut print from BFI.

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    Let's face it, you weren't in an illegal diamond smuggling mine in Africa in the late 1950's or early 60's and neither was I. It's safe to say they have a different culture over there and anybody who is trying to prove "Sammy Going South" is racist has a pretty weak case. There are plenty of "PC types" who like to label all films made before 1980 as racist, yet they are not offended by such performers as Snoop Dogg acting like a Pimp during an award show. Anyway, let's get back to hoping they get the uncut print from BFI.
    That's an impressive rant to answer a one-line point and makes a lot of assumptions. Have a look at Mark Duguid's other reviews. He's hardly someone averse to pre-1980s cinema or one to make blanket criticisms (why yes, I have met him) and I very much doubt he's a fan of rap music. He doesn't say that Sammy Going South is racist - he says it uses racial steroptypes and I'd say that happy Africans singing merrily as they undertake an absolutely appallling job is one of them, although one that features in more or less every African-set film from the 1920s to the 1970s. The portrayal of characters from other races are exactly devoid of cliches (again, see most foreign set films of the period). Duguid simply says that he expected better from Mackendrick.

Liked
    0 times
    Here below is a link to the Harvard Film Archive in the USA. They state that they recently ran a full version of Sammy Going South that was supplied to them by the BFI. When the page loads, scroll down until you get to the film. If this isn't a mistake, why haven't the BFI released the film on DVD and would they let Optimum release it? I have contacted Candy about this and suggested she enquire about this at the BFI before she commits herself to releasing the shortened version on DVD.

Alexander Mackendrick and the Anarchy of Innocence - Harvard Film Archive
    Please keep us posted on the BFI print and thanks for all your help in trying to get the uncut version released.

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    I'll continue to keep you all posted, Chas. Yes, I've done my best in using the Internet to try and get the complete film released on DVD. I hope Optimum can find the complete release version at the BFI. I haven't had a reply from Candy about the BFI as yet. I hope that means that something positive is going on. Fergus is due to record his interview for the DVD today in central London.

Liked
    0 times
    I'll continue to keep you all posted, Chas. Yes, I've done my best in using the Internet to try and get the complete film released on DVD. I hope Optimum can find the complete release version at the BFI. I haven't had a reply from Candy about the BFI as yet. I hope that means that something positive is going on. Fergus is due to record his interview for the DVD today in central London.
    There was a film a while back that was thought to be almost completely lost called "The Ghoul" (1934) starring Boris Karloff, Cedric Hardwicke and Ralph Richardson. MGM bought the rights to it and had someone go looking for a good print. The guy remembered he had recently discovered a great print of "Thief of Bagdad" at BFI and so he started there. He was shocked to find a flawless print of "The Ghoul" that had been sitting in the BFI vault untouched for over 30 years. It is probably the best looking print of an early 1930's film that I have ever seen. The film had amazing photography and is probably the best example of seeing a really old movie exactly the way it looked when it was released. They have got to check BFI. We will be happy to wait a few more months for the release.

Liked
    98 times
    Sammy Going South, full page poster from Photoplay magazine, May, 1963.

Liked
    98 times
    I have just received this latest news from Candy Vincent-Smith at Optimum:

"Hi,

Thanks for this info. We have checked with the BFI and they have gone back to their materials and double checked, and they definitely have the shorter version, 115 mins, too. They did mistakenly have it labeled as 128 mins though, which is where the Harvard film archive got their info.

This is the end of the line for this one I fear, so we will be going ahead with releasing the version we have.

Thanks

Candy."

Liked
    0 times
    I have just received this latest news from Candy Vincent-Smith at Optimum:

"Hi,

Thanks for this info. We have checked with the BFI and they have gone back to their materials and double checked, and they definitely have the shorter version, 115 mins, too. They did mistakenly have it labeled as 128 mins though, which is where the Harvard film archive got their info.

This is the end of the line for this one I fear, so we will be going ahead with releasing the version we have.

Thanks

Candy."
    I was wondering in your opinion did the "crab killing" scene work? I wanted to see it because I know the director thought it was important, but I must admit that I don't like seeing animals killed for real (if they were) in movies. All of the real life footage of animals being slaughtered in "Walkabout" kind of hurt the film for me.

Liked
    98 times
    I can't remember now, Chas, as it is forty-seven years ago since I saw the original version. I'm not sure the crab scenes actually made it to the release print, anyway. But I do remember the Sammy and the Syrian scenes being a lot longer and containing more character development than they did in the shorter version. There was a scene where Sammy, walking with the Syrian and his donkeys in the desert in the heat of the day, becomes overcome by the heat and collapses and the Syrian props him up on the desert sand and wraps a white turban around the boy's head to prevent him getting sunstroke and revives him. That isn't in the shorter version.

I may be wrong about this, as memory can play tricks after nearly half a century, but the longer scenes between Sammy and the Syrian left me with the memory...or impression, if you like...that the Syrian thought the world of Sammy and did his best to keep the boy alive in the hostile terrain because he loved him. Sammy knew that the Syrian loved him and fancied him and that's why, later on in the story, after bottling it all up inside himself for months, he tries to come to terms with his guilt at causing the death of someone whom he knew loved him and was trying to help him, by telling Cocky Wainwright about it...like someone seeking absolution from a priest...and Cocky, perhaps sensing this, reassures Sammy that the Syrian, whom Cocky had never met, was only helping him because of the money he hoped to get from the boy's aunt when he handed him over. Sammy says: "Do you think so?" and Cocky answers "Of course" and Sammy seems reassured. The latter part of the film would have been more effective if the earlier scenes were left in the film in their entirety.

Liked
    0 times
    I can't remember now, Chas, as it is forty-seven years ago since I saw the original version. I'm not sure the crab scenes actually made it to the release print, anyway. But I do remember the Sammy and the Syrian scenes being a lot longer and containing more character development than they did in the shorter version. There was a scene where Sammy, walking with the Syrian and his donkeys in the desert in the heat of the day, becomes overcome by the heat and collapses and the Syrian props him up on the desert sand and wraps a white turban around the boy's head to prevent him getting sunstroke and revives him. That isn't in the shorter version.

I may be wrong about this, as memory can play tricks after nearly half a century, but the longer scenes between Sammy and the Syrian left me with the memory...or impression, if you like...that the Syrian thought the world of Sammy and did his best to keep the boy alive in the hostile terrain because he loved him. Sammy knew that the Syrian loved him and fancied him and that's why, later on in the story, after bottling it all up inside himself for months, he tries to come to terms with his guilt at causing the death of someone whom he knew loved him and was trying to help him, by telling Cocky Wainwright about it...like someone seeking absolution from a priest...and Cocky, perhaps sensing this, reassures Sammy that the Syrian, whom Cocky had never met, was only helping him because of the money he hoped to get from the boy's aunt when he handed him over. Sammy says: "Do you think so?" and Cocky answers "Of course" and Sammy seems reassured. The latter part of the film would have been more effective if the earlier scenes were left in the film in their entirety.
    From watching the regular version I thought the Syrian was helping Sammy for the reward and that there might be something weird about him. The fact that I couldn't make up my mind what he was up to was interesting to me and seemed to work for the film. If anybody out there remembers the crab scene please let us know.

Liked
    98 times
    The new 114 minutes version DVD of Sammy Going South has been submitted to the BBFC this month and passed with no cuts as a PG. There also seems to be an online version that has been passed the same way. So it looks like it's well on the way to its release in three months time.

SAMMY GOING SOUTH rated PG by the BBFC

Liked
    98 times
    Here at long last are scans of the photos that accompanied the reviews of Sammy Going South on page 2 of this thread. From top to bottom: What's On In London, March 22nd, 1963; Kine Weekly, March 18th, 1963; Film Review annual, 1963 and Films and Filming, May 1963. Left click with your mouse on white bar on top of image to enlarge it.

Liked
    98 times
    I just noticed that Fergus McClelland posted these comments on the Sammy Going South YouTube pages a couple of weeks ago. His screen name on there is FergusVoice:

On the film:

"I was cast in about March 1962. We flew out to Africa to start filming at the start of May. Eddie G. arrived about 4 weeks later and I met him in a hotel in Mombasa."

On the forthcoming DVD release on June 28th, 2010:

"I know there will be a public sort of premiere. Unfortunately, I will be working in Iran as a speaker on 28th June so won't be able to attend. I thought the original was 2hrs 8mins - but I was only 11 at the time! I look forward to the release - thanks for all the info. Fergus McClelland - AKA Sammy."

Fergus is right about the original running time, which was cut by ten minutes after the film's initial release in 1963. The three questions I would like an answer to are: Who cut ten minutes out of the film? Why did they do it? and What happened to the missing footage? Someone, somewhere, must know the answers to these three questions...even if it is now forty-seven years ago.

Liked
    98 times
    Optimum have just released the cover artwork for the Sammy Going South Digitally Remastered DVD, due out in just over a month from now which has the original poster design from 1963.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sammy-Going-...4790190&sr=1-1

Liked
    0 times
    I don't like that 1:78.1 aspect ratio listing, but I guess it's a misprint.

Liked
    98 times
    I hope it is a misprint, Chas, as amazon are not well known for the accuracy of their listings. But according to Candy Vincent-Smith at Optimum, it will be a 2.35:1 CinemaScope transfer.

Liked
    0 times
    I hope it is a misprint, Chas, as amazon are not well known for the accuracy of their listings. But according to Candy Vincent-Smith at Optimum, it will be a 2.35:1 CinemaScope transfer.
    The one thing I really hate about U.K. DVD's is they rarely bother to mention if it's letterboxed on Amazon.uk and when they do it's usually wrong. I'm really not worried.

Liked
    98 times
    Yes, there was a complaint about that sort of thing recently on amazon uk regarding the Region 2 DVD of the 1960 version of A Dog Of Flanders, starring David Ladd. It was released in the States in July, 2009, in full 2.35:1 CinemaScope and 16 x 9 enhanced. The same DVD was due to be released by the same company on Region 2 a few months ago and it was...except that although amazon uk had it listed as being widescreen, when it was released, it turned out to be a 4 x 3 pan and scan transfer. So anyone wanting this DVD in 'Scope will have to buy the Region 1 release.

Liked
    98 times
    Movie Mail's listing for Sammy Going South features a gallery of 12 colour stills from the film that can't be copied in their entirety, but a large portion of each one can be captured using Quick Screen Capture, if you have that programme on your computer. Just left click on each still to enlarge it. There are strange white marks on some of the stills that I don't think are damage to the prints, but may be a fault on the scanner that was used to scan them for uploading onto this Movie Mail listing. Below is the link. When it loads, scroll down the page past the review to the stills at the bottom.

Sammy Going South DVD | Classic Movies | Films by Movie Mail UK

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast