Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    Senior Member Country: United States TimR's Avatar
    Liked
    29 times
    It's good to read this thread again after a few years. The film that brought me to this forum.

As always - fascinating photos, darrenburnfan.

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Pickard View Post
    Wonderful stills Darrenburnfan. It is also great to see glimpses of the Odeon, Leicester Square before Rank changed it for the worst around 1968.
    Thanks, Stephen. I understand that the Odeon was a wonderful cinema at the time the photos were taken, although I wish the photos showed more of the interior and the stage area than they do. As to the reason John Mills and Michele Morgan were on the stage when they weren't in the film, well, John was the Master of Ceremonies on the big night, introducing the film on stage before the curtains opened and Michele was one of many guests attending the premiere (although I shall have to ask Fergus what her actual role was on the stage on the night of the performance). Somewhere, there is a press photo taken on the Sunday (as in the above photos) of Fergus being kissed by Hayley Mills and Elsa Martinelli. Oh, the perks of being a film star!

Liked
    98 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TimR View Post
    It's good to read this thread again after a few years. The film that brought me to this forum.

As always - fascinating photos, darrenburnfan.
    Glad you like them, Tim. I thought that, as I now have far more press and other vintage stills from the film than I had when the thread started, I'd upload them and give it a boost to the top.

Liked
    98 times
    BELOW: Three more vintage 8 x 10 press stills from the film.

The orphaned Sammy Hartland (Fergus McClelland) cautiously makes his way out of wartorn Port Said.

In the Egyptian desert, Sammy searches the pockets of the Syrian peddlar (Zia Mohyeddin) who had died from his injuries in the night,
    for the key to the manacles with which he had chained Sammy to him the previous night.

As Lem (Harry H. Corbett) looks on, Cocky Wainwright (Edward G. Robinson) tells Sammy that he can stay with him for as long as he likes.

Liked
    98 times
    Some interesting trivia concerning the film:

In March, 1963, Anthony Eden, who had been Prime Minister during the Suez crisis seven years earlier and was now in retirement as Lord Avon, wrote to the Cabinet Secretary, the newly appointed Burke Trend, to tell him that he was considering taking legal action over Sammy Going South "which I understand is to be seen by the Queen Mother as this year's Royal Performance Film".

"This opens with a story of a ten year old boy suddenly orphaned during a British Air raid on Suez. This is presumably in the 1956 operations. I have not seen this film myself, but it has been pointed out to me that there was no British bombing raid on Suez; nor to the best of my belief was there one on Port Said. The only air raids were on aerodromes and on the "Voice of Egypt", the last after a warning. In these circumstances I have been urged to take action in respect of this film and I am considering doing so. Will you check the facts concerning this with the Air Ministry and the Ministry of Defence? So much trouble was taken to avoid the loss of civilian life during these operations that I do not feel that a British film should be allowed to pass which maligns British conduct."

Trend asked the MOD if Eden was right. Was there "no air raid on Suez or that might reasonably be construed as such?"
    The MOD refreshed the former Prime Minister's memory:

"A report by Sir Edwin Herbert estimated that there were some 2,750 civilian casualties in Port Said, including 650 dead. The parents of the child in the film were killed in Port Said and not, as Lord Avon says, in Suez. It is true that all the attacks on Port Said were by rockets and cannon fire and that at no stage was any bomb dropped on or in the environs of Port Said. However, I should not have thought that a case based on the distinction between bombing and ground attack would have carried a great deal of weight in this context."

Eden decided not to pursue the case which would probably not have gone that well for him.

Liked
    98 times
    An original 8 x 10 press still of Edward G. Robinson and Fergus McClelland in Sammy Going South.
    In this scene, old Cocky Wainwright learns from young Sammy that the boy is an orphan and that his parents were killed in a raid on Port Said.

Liked
    98 times
    Gaumont cinema, Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent, programmes for May, 1963, reproduced from the original programme information in my archives.

Liked
    98 times
    An original Front-of-House still of Sammy and Cocky Wainwright meeting in the bush for the first time.

COCKY: "Well, I’ve seen some queer animals in the bush in my day, but I don’t recollect meeting one like you.
    Now…err…what would you be, I wonder…two legs and no tail. A lobster, would you be?
    You’re as red as the reddest lobster I ever saw. Are you on your own?"

SAMMY: "Yes."

COCKY: "Nobody else with you?"

SAMMY: "I ran away."

COCKY: "Did you now? Well, I tell you what, you hop a long with me.
    Well, I don’t know where you’re making for, but I’m heading for Skoomerland.

SAMMY: "Where’s that?"

COCKY: "South."

SAMMY: "I’m going south, too. How far are you going? Not as far as Durban, I suppose?"

COCKY: "Durban?….Durban, South Africa?"

SAMMY: "Yes."

COCKY: "No, I’m not going as far as Durban. I’m going 400 miles south. Any use to you?"

SAMMY: "Durban’s a lot further than that."

COCKY: "Oh, about 2,500 miles. None of my business, but…err…where’ve you come from?"

SAMMY: "Port Said."

COCKY: "Well, quite a way. About 2,000 miles, I’d say. Get any lifts?"

SAMMY: "Some of the way."

COCKY: "Well, I should think you’d be a bit bored with walking. Would you like Juma to carry you for a bit?"

SAMMY: "No."

COCKY (to himself): "Jumpin’ Jehosaphat! Port Said to Durban on his own! Would you believe it? Would you believe it?"
    Last edited by darrenburnfan; 14-01-14 at 12:59 PM.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    1 times
    I remember seeing this film at The Majestic cinema, Retford, Nottinghamshire. The cinema at that time was still owned by the circuit who had had it for decades. I do not know their name. But, I do know that the cinema was taken over by the Star Cinema chain in the late 1960s and became Studio One (bingo downstairs) with cinema seating in what had been the circle. This film was one we had been looking forward to very much and we had a good night. I seem to remember that the second feature was a Scales of Justice film. It is amazing that seeing the stills and the stories brings back memories of visits to that cinema. Incidentally, the Majestic has now reverted to a theatre run by a charity with many local volunteers and appears to do well.

Liked
    98 times
    The Majestic must have been a very nice cinema until they ruined it converting it to cine-Bingo. I'm glad that the above stills and stories bring back memories for you. It's incredible to think that 1963 is now 51 years ago. It makes me feel rather old when I think that I ran Sammy Going South when it was a new film.

Liked
    98 times
    BELOW: A rare 19 x 27 inches 1963 Italian Fotobuster poster for Sammy Going South, featuring the same scene in general as used on one of the British Front-of-House stills, but an entirely different photograph. Here, Sammy has collapsed from heat exhaustion on his journey across the desert and the Syrian peddlar who has befriended him is tending to him. This scene was in the film originally, but isn't included in the shortened by ten minutes version on the present DVD. I won this poster yesterday from an eBay seller in France. When it arrives, it will be far too big for my scanner, so here, I am uploading the seller's images. He can't complain, as I have paid him for it.

Liked
    98 times
    Cocky teaches Sammy how to shoot...a skill that will come in very handy for the boy later on.

Liked
    98 times
    A link to the trailer for the heavily cut American release of the film, retitled A Boy Ten Feet Tall and re-scored by Les Baxter, complete with some howlers in the voiceover. For instance, it did not take 'a few short weeks' for Sammy to traverse the African continent, it took nearly six months...and he was bombed and strafed in Port Said, not Suez. The trailer is worn and mutilated at the end, but very interesting nonetheless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yajy1avLo7U

Liked
    98 times
    BELOW: Well, I've just won on eBay another large 19 x 27 inches Italian Fotobusta poster from Sammy Going South from the same seller in France that I bought the previous one from, this time featuring a still of the first meeting between Sammy and the Syrian pedlar in the Egyptian desert. Ten years ago, I was outbid on eBay for a set of six 8 x 10 press stills from the film that included this particular photo and this is the first time that I've seen it since then. Once again, I am uploading the seller's images of the item, as when it arrives, it will be far too big for my scanner.

Liked
    98 times
    Pathe News newsreels of The Royal Film Performance of Sammy Going South held at the Odeon, Leicester Square on Monday, March 18th, 1963. The second clip is silent, but contains extra material and a scene of Fergus McClelland bowing to and shaking hands with the Queen Mother.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzsfuKvaENE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuOLK_c61jc

As Pathe News was designed to be shown on the ABC circuit, you'll notice that the commentator doesn't mention the title of the film, or the name of the cinema, because the Odeon was a Rank cinema and the film would be a Rank circuit release.
    Last edited by darrenburnfan; 28-04-14 at 09:12 AM.

Senior Member Country: Europe Heinrich's Avatar
    Liked
    63 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenburnfan View Post
    ... As Pathe News was designed to be shown on the ABC circuit, you'll notice that the commentator doesn't mention the title of the film, or the name of the cinema, because the Odeon was a Rank cinema and the film would be a Rank circuit release.
    How odd that the title was not mentioned and referred instead to "the chosen film".

Liked
    98 times
    Yes, that's the way they did it in those days. However, the title was mentioned on the British Movietone newsreel of the event, because that was shown in Odeon and Gaumont cinemas.

Liked
    98 times
    An original 8 x 10 glossy press still of Fergus McClelland; Harry H. Corbett and Edward G. Robinson in Sammy Going South.

Senior Member Country: Europe Heinrich's Avatar
    Liked
    63 times
    I remember at the time of the release of the movie, Fergus McClelland was interviewed on children's television and the interviewer remarked that the boy had dark hair but in the film he was blond. Why? Fergus had no explanation for his hair being dyed in the picture.

Liked
    98 times
    I think he gives an explanation for this on the comments section after his post about the film on amazon uk. Something like at the beginning of the film, his hair was a kind of dark brown, but as the story progressed, it kind of got bleached / turned blonde by the hot African sun. Actually, the character of Sammy in the original novel by W.H. Canaway had dark hair.

On amazon uk, Fergus says: "Hair was fair, eyebrows brown - which made girls locally ask me if I had had my eyebrows dyed! At times, they coloured my hair dark - for the opening bits of the film, and then for later bits, a blonde rinse - plus African sun!"
    Last edited by darrenburnfan; 29-04-14 at 04:52 PM.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast