Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    13 times
    Not British I know, but evidently it was in London in 1950 he decided to become a director after seeing "the Bicycle Thieves". The Film Society at Lincoln Center are having a two week retrospective. I have to confess to having never seen one of his films. Does anyone have any recommendations ? To quote Kurosawa " To have not seen the films of Ray is to have lived in the world without ever seeing the moon and the sun". So I think I should go see at least one. Fire away...

Liked
    144 times
    name='billy bentley']Not British I know, but evidently it was in London in 1950 he decided to become a director after seeing "the Bicycle Thieves". The Film Society at Lincoln Center are having a two week retrospective. I have to confess to having never seen one of his films. Does anyone have any recommendations ? To quote Kurosawa " To have not seen the films of Ray is to have lived in the world without ever seeing the moon and the sun". So I think I should go see at least one. Fire away...

Hello Billy

Satyajit Ray is one of my favourite Director eeeeeeeeeever !!

I've seen:

=The Chess Players (a good link if you're interested in British presence in India, a very humourus story too, with also in the Indian actor who played in The Man Who Would Be King, I don't remember his name and R.Attenborough....)

=The Goddess

=La Maison et le Monde ( lit: The House and the World ?)

=Le Salon de Musique

=Days and nights in the forest

.............All are masterpieces !!

Moon.

Senior Member Country: Vatican Sgt Sunshine's Avatar
    Liked
    212 times
    The only one I've seen is "The World of Apu".............highly recommended.......

Liked
    144 times
    The name of the Indian actor who played in both Huston and Ray is Saeed Jaffrey, of course

Moon.

Senior Member Country: Wales
    Liked
    0 times
    I'd be curious to learn more too.

Also, reading up on the (admittedly not always entirely accurate) Wiki - I found a quote from Francois Truffaut on Panther Pachali

'However, the reaction was not uniformly positive. After watching the movie, Fran�ois Truffaut is reported to have said, "I don’t want to see a movie of peasants eating with their hands." I wonder what he meant by that?

Liked
    144 times
    name='MB']I'd be curious to learn more too.

Also, reading up on the (admittedly not always entirely accurate) Wiki - I found a quote from Francois Truffaut on Panther Pachali

'However, the reaction was not uniformly positive. After watching the movie, Fran�ois Truffaut is reported to have said, "I don’t want to see a movie of peasants eating with their hands." I wonder what he meant by that?

Hello MB

Fran�ois Truffaut was a strange personality, first very sarcastic (and "sectaire" IMO) when beeing a critical in Les Cahiers du Cin�ma, but the films he has done later, in majority, are from a romantic mind. The phrase you mentioned was from the "sarcastic" period, I think......

Moon.

PS/ I must add that he was a very sensitive person, respect.

Senior Member Country: Wales
    Liked
    0 times
    Thankyou Moon - I must admit, I love Francois Truffaut, over here I think he is probably the first non english speaking film maker that people develop an interest in and quite rightly, I think. But I just couldn't place what he meant by that. Probably not a good idea to take it out of context. Must spend more time on Brittanica rather than Wiki.

I shall look out for Satyajit Ray.

Liked
    144 times
    name='MB']Thankyou Moon - I must admit, I love Francois Truffaut, over here I think he is probably the first non english speaking film maker that people develop an interest in and quite rightly, I think. But I just couldn't place what he meant by that. Probably not a good idea to take it out of context. Must spend more time on Brittanica rather than Wiki.

I shall look out for Satyajit Ray.

You're welcome.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    Mahanagar is very good ... I would personally recommend that one.

LINK: Mahanagar (1963)

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    13 times
    Thanks for the tips thus far and keep them coming. If anyone's interested the Film Society of Lincn Center can be reached at filmlinc.com (Sorry I don't know how to post/pate e-addresses). Ther's bound to be info on Ray and the films that are showing.

Senior Member Country: United States TimR's Avatar
    Liked
    29 times
    It's good to know Lincoln Center is keeping up its high standards.

Days and Nights in the Forest is a gem.

Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    For any cinema fans I recommend the Apu Trilogy. Simply marvelous! You can get the Artificial Eye set from Amazon UK. Follow that up by the Volume 1 and Volume 2 – also by Artificial eye. Ray is one of my favorite directors.

Liked
    0 times
    Quite a fine retrospective! You'll be seeing films that really bear the signature of the director. One of a kind.

I second the motion--The Apu Trilogy is a lovely introduction to Ray's work.

I would not miss Days and Nights in the Forest.