Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reggie Perrin

Liked
    151 times
    Martin Clunes to take lead role in BBC remake of The Fall And Rise Of Reginald Perrin

Last Updated: 2:42PM GMT 14 Jan 2009

Martin Clunes to take lead role in The Fall And Rise Of Reginald Perrin remake

Lucy Lumsden, BBC One controller, comedy commissioning, added: 'To have combined the writing talents of David Nobbs and Simon Nye in a sitcom fronted by Martin Clunes is a dream come true'.

The Men Behaving Badly actor will star as Reggie Perrin alongside a cast including Fay Ripley, Wendy Craig, Geoffrey Whitehead, Neil Stuke and Lucy Liemann in the new BBC One series.

Simon Nye, the writer behind Men Behaving Badly, will join the writer and creator of the original 1970s sitcom David Nobbs for the series to be transmitted later this year.

The much-loved sitcom originally ran between 1976 and 1979 and starred Leonard Rossiter as a man constantly on the verge of a midlife crisis but with a vivid imagination.

A follow-up, The Legacy Of Reginald Perrin, was aired in 1996.

The BBC said the new series will comprise of six 30 minute episodes.

BBC One controller Jay Hunt said: "I am really excited about Reggie Perrin returning to our screens.

"It feels as fresh and sharp now as it did all those years ago. It will be a vital part of our overall comedy offering on the channel."

Lucy Lumsden, BBC One controller, comedy commissioning, added: "To have combined the writing talents of David Nobbs and Simon Nye in a sitcom fronted by Martin Clunes is a dream come true.

"Added to which, they have come up with an inspired update, rather than a remake, of one of the greatest classic comedies of all time."

Senior Member Country: UK Moor Larkin's Avatar
    Liked
    120 times
    I didn't get to where I am today by watching reboots !!

Never watched it first time anyway.................

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    name='DB7']

Lucy Lumsden, BBC One controller, comedy commissioning, added: "To have combined the writing talents of David Nobbs and Simon Nye in a sitcom fronted by Martin Clunes is a dream come true.

For who? Not for me .... the original was a true classic. Another example of a serious lack of fresh ideas.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    What a waste of time cant they find better programs to make if its anything like the last couple of remakes it wont be worth watching

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    What they said.

Senior Member Country: UK EHV_Emmetts's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    A rehashed Minder and now this. There is a serious dearth of new writing in British television.

Senior Member Country: England jaycad's Avatar
    Liked
    100 times
    this really has to stop!!!! when sky tv first appeared it was criticised for the amount of repeats shown,i would rather watch repeats than re-makes of repeats with the same characters/storylines but with inferior actors/script!

i am dreading the inevitable 'fawlty towers' remake starring the likes of rob brydon and simon pegg or even worse james bloody nesbitt...aaagggghhhh!!!!

GRAEME
    The horror... The horror...

Liked
    1 times
    'Kinell

Liked
    4 times
    If they have to do re-makes, why can't they have a go at improving TV series or films that didn't work well enough first time around ? Reginald Perrin...Get Carter..Brideshead Revisited...The Italian Job...none of these needed a new version, but no doubt there have been hundreds of good scripts over the years which could benefit from a second attempt. How often does that happen, though ? No - "Let's think of a success and just try to repeat it". Pathetic.

Senior Member Country: Europe
    Liked
    0 times
    What appalling news. Why on earth can't they just leave well alone?

And, as Chevy said, look for fresh talent. And that includes actors. Martin Clunes playing Reggie, I ask you!

It'll be Fawlty Towers next with James Nesbitt, you mark my words.

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    I'm quite looking forward to it...It's written by David Nobbs and looks to be quite different from the original - hopefully rather darker like the books. I'm not really sure what the problem is - if Nobbs wants to revist an early work, good luck to him. I'll get me coat...

David Nobbs's homepage - link

Senior Member Country: UK Chevyman's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    name='EHV_Emmetts']A rehashed Minder and now this. There is a serious dearth of new writing in British television.

Precisely Mr Emmetts, although I believe the talent is there; it just doesn't get any exposure to audiences due to this kind of fodder jumpimg the queue

It was after last years Eurovision farce that I suggested, on here, that the money wasted on screening "Sing-a-long-a-Balkan" be put to better use showcasing new British talent.........writing, producing etc.

Liked
    69 times
    They are probably doing it because the British sit-com has died. I am not trying to say that there were no bad sitcoms from yesteryear,but there were still plenty of gems to make up for it. Nowadays,the Brit sit-com is basically painting by numbers,with no characters fleshed out and no inter-reaction between characters.

I have not enjoyed anything since the Only Fools And Horses episode with the clock being auctioned off for a pretty penny. For me,The Simpsons makes up for it all and that sometimes owes a lot to British comedy of the past (apart from that woeful episode with Ricky Gervais).

Ta Ta

Marky B

Senior Member Country: Scotland
    Liked
    0 times
    name='batman']For who? Not for me .... the original was a true classic. Another example of a serious lack of fresh ideas.

100% right Bats, accept no substitute, my all time fave Britcom bar none, David Nobbs was years ahead of his time and every player in that series was top notch, I'm halfway through watching the 2nd series from my box set....for the 4th time!

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    "Oh my God .... another bloody rehash of an old TV series .... I wish i could just disappear!"

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    What? They are making the same programme again with one of the old cast? Well they must be as the last series was post-Reggie as he is dead. It's bad enough with films but I presume they must be doing the old story again with a new cast, if so it must be the laziest and most pathetic waste of our time and (public) money I've ever heard of (besides carbon trading and capture).

Watching repeats has its place if they don't take over, but doing one with a new cast, paying overpaid celebs for walking in the footsteps of the dead (in fantasy and reality) seems to me the lowest point ever since Noelle Gordon was sacked from Crossroads. Whoever thought of remaking a classic (or any other) series should be shot. Unless I've totally misunderstood?

Liked
    1 times
    'Watching repeats has its place if they don't take over, but doing one with a new cast, paying overpaid celebs for walking in the footsteps of the dead (in fantasy and reality) seems to me the lowest point ever since Noelle Gordon was sacked from Crossroads. Whoever thought of remaking a classic (or any other) series should be shot. Unless I've totally misunderstood?'

The same applies to the forthcoming remake of 'The Prisoner' and 'Survivors' for that matter - indeed the latter boasts the blase credit, 'based on a novel by Terry Nation' when it should read 'based on the previous BBC series of the same name, 'Survivors'.

These people haven't even got the courage of their own (non) convictions.

Liked
    151 times
    Reggie Perrin rides again

The much-loved Reggie Perrin, having fallen and risen, rises again � with Martin Clunes in the role made famous by Leonard Rossiter. Gerard Gilbert joins the cast and writers on set

Friday, 10 April 2009

The much-loved Reggie Perrin, having fallen and risen, rises again ? with Martin Clunes in the role made famous by Leonard Rossiter.

I live outside a village in North Yorkshire, down a track where there's not exactly a lot of office life and office jargon," says David Nobbs, the now septuagenarian creator of The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin, pin-pointing a reason why he alone might not have been the ideal person to modernise his Seventies sitcom classic. "So I thought I'd like a younger writer in on this with me. And the moment I mentioned 'youth', the BBC thought of Simon Nye."

"Ironically, as I'm 50," interjects Nye, no slouch himself on the comedy classic front, having created Men Behaving Badly. "Although I was 49 then, so I felt more like a young writer. Living in gritty Hampstead as I do."

The two men are sitting together to promote their "re-imagining" (the buzz word for the likes of Minder, Survivors and other recent TV remakes) of Nobbs's 1976 comedy about a middle-ranking executive who walks out on his monotonous life, faking his suicide in the process. Not that this was physically how they co-wrote Reggie Perrin, as the show's title has been abbreviated. "Neither of us felt like sitting at opposite sides of the table," says Nobbs. "Someone needed to do a first draft and the obvious person was Simon, as I did a kind of first draft in 1976."

The 1970s original � which was not inspired, as is often assumed, by the case of the Labour MP John Stonehouse, who faked his own death in 1974 ("Stonehouse did it between my original Perrin book being written and it being published; there must have been something in the air") � marked the apogee of Rising Damp star Leonard Rossiter's career. Stepping now into a role many believe Rossiter made his own � that of middle-aged, middle-class, Middle England anarchist Reginald Iolanthe Perrin � is Martin Clunes.

"It was by universal agreement," says Nobbs. "Martin has great ability, first of all, and truthfulness. Len [Rossiter] never lost sight of the truth of a character... he was always on the verge of going OTT but he never did; wonderful judgement. I'm not sure if Martin goes OTT in quite the same way, but my God, he's good."

Simon Nye, who wrote for Clunes over six and a bit series of Men Behaving Badly, is also a fan of the jug-eared actor. "Then and now, he just has a way of being slightly surprising," Nye says. "The tension in Reggie is that the people around him come to fear him for what he's going to do next, and I think Martin has that quality of teetering on the edge of something."

Having been along to Teddington Studios in west London to see the filming of Reggie Perrin in front of a studio audience, I can concur that Clunes is rather a good fit as Reggie. He was visibly relishing his return to performing to a live audience, playing up to the audience and sharing asides with us.

"I just love the heightened performance levels you get with an audience show," he tells me later. "If you look at things like Lead Balloon, which I love, I don't think you could do it in front of an audience. It's got a different style.

"There was a Channel 4 documentary called Who Killed British Sitcom? [made by the former ITV director of programmes David Liddiment in 2006] about what a shame it was that there are so few audience sitcoms now. They're such good fun to do. And you sort of want those chubby-kneed, nice old ladies out there in the audience because they laugh the best."

And laugh we did, chubby-kneed old ladies or not. A large percentage of the audience looked as if they might have been fans of the original series, and there was enough here to reassure them � from the (re-orchestrated) theme tune to the fantasy sequences and, of course, the catchphrases. The most famous of all, uttered by Reggie's boss, CJ � "I didn't get where I am today by..." � is so iconic that the actor playing the CJ character in Reggie Perrin, Neil Stuke, fluffed his first reading of it.

"There was a lot of discussion about what to keep � we didn't just want to cut and paste old jokes on to the new version," says Nobbs. "There was a move to bring back the farting chairs, for example; a move I quashed fairly rapidly. The only jokes we kept were the jokes that were essential to the situation, like the fact that he's always late for work... that he's half-destroyed before he gets in the door."

Reggie's office is no longer the nerve centre of Sunshine Desserts � the production of exotic ices having made way for the rapidly expanding world of male grooming products � but the cast of characters at the office is broadly similar, from the fantasised-about female work colleague to the nerdy subordinates. Only CJ � here called Chris Jackson � gets a radical makeover.

"The boss is younger and more of a modern management figure, brought in from other areas of management rather than having worked his way up in Sunshine Desserts, as we saw CJ had," says Nobbs. "I'm not sure if an 'Alan Sugar' type of figure is the right description..." "He is a bit like Alan Sugar," interjects Nye.

The more significant personnel changes are to be found in Reggie's home life. Fay Ripley plays his wife, Nicola, a career woman this time instead of a housewife. Wendy Craig plays Reggie's mother, a character never seen in the original, while Geoffrey Whitehead plays Nicola's father, William, a character who gets to utter another of the classic catchphrases � "a bit of a cock-up on the catering front".

"William is basically Geoffrey Palmer's brother-in-law character from the original, but 30 years on," says Nobbs. "It's a fantastic cast; if it doesn't work, it won't be because of them."

The greatest weight of audience expectation will naturally fall on Clunes. And, although the Doc Martin star can imagine potential bad notices ("Reggie-cide", he offers), Clunes says he doesn't feel he's being brave by inviting comparisons with Leonard Rossiter.

"Brave? Do you think? I mean, I played Tartuffe at the National and I'm not the first person to do that. People will compare if they want to, or they can judge the thing on its own merits. It wasn't part of my brief to have a Leonard Rossiter gauge. I'm so unlike him, and he's so like himself that people muddle up his jobs. They go, 'Oh, The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin, I love that � 'My God, Miss Jones, you're beautiful'; that's Rising Damp, you twit..."

Clunes even airs what to some will be the blasphemous opinion that perhaps the original could do with more than just a lick of fresh paint. "A lot of hogwash gets talked about how brilliant things were in the old days and how awful it is when things change � blah-di-blah � and I'm sure this will incite some of that," he says. "Those were those scripts, and these aren't � television has moved on since the mid-Seventies. There's an awful lot that modern audiences simply won't put up with.

"I'd like to know what these people who think Leonard Rossiter is irreplaceable are doing. Are they just watching reruns of Reginald Perrin? Then I guess they would find him irreplaceable. I haven't watched the recent reruns, but a lot of the people who have watched them said, 'You'd be amazed how slow it is.' And how few laughs there are. Things have moved on, for better or for worse, but they have moved on."

Indeed they have, but thanks to the economic downturn, reckon Nobbs and Nye, they have also stayed � or become � depressingly the same. "Some people were asking me, 'Is the pressure of a job you don't like as bad today given the fluidity of the labour market?'" says Nobbs. "But, with the credit crunch, people aren't going to be confident about moving jobs in 2009 � just as they weren't in the late Seventies."

"Much more than they were nine months ago, people are trapped," concurs Nye. "I've done my corporate time working for banks and I still remember the stultifying absurdity of some of the things you have to do."

Martin Clunes also empathises with Reggie. "I know I don't need to work every day in the job that I do and that I'm very lucky in that, but I can sympathise or appreciate what drudgery must be like. I mean, I went to school."

'Reggie Perrin' begins on 24 April on BBC1

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    2 times
    it didnt look so bad on the trailer i seen earlier on this evening . i wish them luck with it

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast