Thread: Poor Cow

Liked
    0 times
    Hi,

Just discovered and joined the forum. Hello all.

I watched Poor Cow for the first time today and it looks to me as if John Bindon's dialogue (as Tom) was redubbed. It's clear from lip-reading that some of his cockney slang (e.g. 'gaff', 'bird') has been replaced for standard words but it seems all of his speech has been voiced over - by him or someone else.

Can anyone shed any light?

Liked
    0 times
    My favourite brit film is Poor Cow.

Liked
    0 times
    Judging from my previous reply as to my best favourite British film, maybe I should have been a little more specific. Based on the novel by Nell Dunn, and directed by Ken Loach in 1967, the story centres around Joy (Carol White), a working class mother who's life travels in to a downward spiral after her violent husband Tom (John Bindon) is imprisoned for robbery and her next lover, Dave (Terence Stamp) is sentenced to twelve years in prison. Joy then wonders aimlessly through a series of failed relationships until Tom's prison release, only to face a life of despair.

The whole film is cleverly edited together - only at the film's climax that the spectator realises that whole story is told in flashback. This, alongside the manipulation of voice over narration, hand held camera work, Joy's direct address to the camera (in the same vein as a talking head) and location shooting, which give the film a feel of a semi-autobiographical documentary feel, adds the film's realistic stance. This is reinforced by virtue of the manipulation of deep focus shots and long takes (screen time equals real time), cinematographic techniques that hark back to the realist aesthetic, emphasised by Andre Bazin, dormant within such Italian Neorealist classics as The Bicycle Thief and La Terra Trema. However, the manipulation of title cards, which break up the narrative flow, clearly reflect Bertolt Brecht's distanciation theory, where the spectator is encouraged to become distanced from the character of Joy and construct critical questions (Is Joy going through a string of boyfriends because she is a whore, or is it because she wants a perfect father figure for her son Jonny).

On the whole, the Optimum release (and the previous DVD one) are disappointing to say the least. This, alongside the DVD release of Kes, deserve more than just the movie. This is a classic and needs a whole lot of extras to accompany it.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Watched Poor Cow last night, amazingly had never seen it, good film but ended suddenly, as if ran out of time

Liked
    0 times
    Read the sequal, My Silver Shoes, by Nell Dunn. The story takes place 25 years after where the original left off. Joy lives in a flat with her elderly mother and works as restart officer for the DSS. Her son, Jonny, is now in the army. Much of the story is told in flashback. We learn that her lover Dave committed suicide in prison, and how she finally left her violent husband Tom for good.

Liked
    0 times
    Also found out that this film was prone to BBFC cuts before being released to cinemas in the late 1960s. Does anyone have information about what these cuts were. I would guess the bad language and part of the domestic violence.

Senior Member Country: Australia wadsy's Avatar
    Liked
    40 times
    In "The Limey" scenes from "Poor Cow" are shown as flashbacks for Terence

Stamp's character "Wilson" ( if you didn't already know).

Senior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    1 times
    It was a film of the times.

So well acted that it seemed like a fly-on-the-wall documentary.

Gripping film but also very depressing.

That the talented Carol White later took her own life also makes this film difficult to sit through.

Dave.