Thread: Duffy

Senior Member Country: Ireland
    Liked
    4 times
    I'm currently watching this - it's really groovy, baby!

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    I picked up a good copy of Duffy a few weeks ago ..... a good film with Yorkie at her sexiest!

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    13 times
    I loved the scene of Fox playing "Blonde On Blonde" on the portable record player ! How hip is that ?

Member Country: Australia Darling's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    One of my favourites from that time, despite unfavourable reviews:

"...The results were woeful: the last word in modishness, and the final nail in the coffin of '60s pop." (Time Out)

James Coburn said of the film, "You know, Duffy was one of my favorite characters. At least that cat had something to say."

A good quality DVD would be nice, but especially nice would have been the release of that groovy soundtrack.

Liked
    151 times
    It's quite dreadful imho apart from John Alderton, who easily slips into the office-boy having fun role. Coburn at times sounds embarrassed by the groovy talk 'man', and York's kittenish role is about as sexy as a wet weekend in Rotherham. Cammell must have been off his face and decided that plot holes can be masked by toking green. With a tighter grip on the reins it could have been a good pic, but it's a terrible waste of a talented cast - Mason in particular is criminally underused.

Liked
    23 times
    Here's an advertisement from my own newspaper collection for the UK first-run release of "Duffy". Note the difference between the British version here and the US as advertised on Moviegoods and Ebay etc.

Liked
    13 times
    I went to see this a couple of summers back, with very low expectations having read all the duff(y) reviews, but I thought it was a lark. Not to be taken seriously at all. James Coburn sure knew how to work them hipsters. Sadly Ernie Freeman's soundtrack was never released (not even on bootleg), but there is a Lou Rawls' 45 from the flick "Down here On The Ground/I'm Satisfied" (Capitol #2252

Senior Member Country: Ireland
    Liked
    4 times
    This section of the excellent Cammell documentary touches on Duffy

Last edited by doojeen; 02-12-11 at 01:23 PM.

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    Happy to say the film is now available on DVD. At Amazon US it's currently $18. 93:

Duffy Starring James Coburn, James Mason, Susannah York and James Fox (2011)

Daily Express, 26th September 1967

Our man Duffy's a square says Miss York

by VICTOR DAVIS

A THREE-STAR row over one word is threatening the launching of a �1 million hippy film. The cast of "rebels" is led by American James Coburn, who makes the series about special agent Flint. Supporting him are Britain's Susannah York and James Fox.

The trouble is the title of their new film. It started off as "Avec-Avec" - a term used in chemmy which, roughly, means "with-it". But Columbia changed it to "Duffy" - the name of the Tangier artist that Coburn portrays.

Coburn, now finishing the film at Shepperton, is furious. He said yesterday: "I'm a student of Gandhi's teachings and I've adopted his policy of passive resistance. I'ill appear in front of the cameras, but I will not give press or TV interviews to promote the film, attend the premiere, or go on personal appearance tours."

"I'm doing nothing, but nothing, man, unless we revert to the title under which I signed to appear. We had a title that caught the mood of the hippy generation. Then some middle-aged Columbia guy with a computer mind feeds all the successful titles of the 1930's into a machine and out comes 'Duffy'."

Said Susannah York: "'Duffy' is rotten and square."

Columbia's production head, Mike Frankovitch, will have a meeting with Coburn today.

Despite the stars' protests, it was still called Duffy. A more appropriate title given the negative reviews I've read.

Dufft at MovieGoods
    Last edited by cornershop15; 25-09-12 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Corrected second link.

Senior Member Country: England phil's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    I like the film but why has'nt the doubly cool Ernie Freeman soundtrack been made available yet?

Senior Member Country: UK Joe Fraguela's Avatar
    Liked
    10 times
    From my film poster collection here is the groovy quad poster for Duffy (1968)

Duffy_Quad Poster_1968.jpg

And here is the quad combo poster for Duffy and Hammerhead (1968)

Duffy_Hammerhead_Quad Poster_1968.jpg