Thread: Quatermass II

Liked
    0 times
    Hello All,

I'm really hoping that someone can help me identify a film I saw as a child which gave me nightmares for weeks afterwards.

It was probably shown on tv in the late 60s possibly early 70s. All I can remember are two scenes:

1) People walking along a dusty track (in a quarry or similar?) looking at a strange rock by the side of the road and a beam of something came from the rock and hit them in the forehead. I believe they then became "zombified" or possibly just infected.

2) A shocking scene of someone emerging from one of these big round chemical storage tanks, completely charred from head to toe as if he'd been completely burnt. Then staggering down the metal stairs at the side of the tank.

Some other things I seem to remember (although I may have this confused with other films of the era) are that it's set in quite a remote village. Possibly in Cornwall? There are discussions in the village pub among the locals with thoughts that some of them may have been "infected".

I'd be really intrigued to watch it again after all these years to see if it's as bad as I remember.

Thanks

Pete

Liked
    151 times
    Quatermass II.

Liked
    0 times
    Well, that's an unbelievably quick response.

Thank you most kindly, I had a look at various online synopses and it sounds like you are spot on. I would never thought it was a Quatermass film. I read a few reviews and it looks like I wasn't the only kid to be so affected by the scene of the man coming out of the storage tank.

I went straight on to order a copy.

All the best

Pete

Liked
    0 times
    name='Diecky']Well, that's an unbelievably quick response.

Thank you most kindly, I had a look at various online synopses and it sounds like you are spot on. I would never thought it was a Quatermass film. I read a few reviews and it looks like I wasn't the only kid to be so affected by the scene of the man coming out of the storage tank.

I went straight on to order a copy.

All the best

Pete

Welcome to the club!, so to speak. In the States it was called "Enemy form Space" and it really affected my entire family, as well as me. We all saw it at a downtown Detroit, MI, theater back in late 1958. We never forgot about it and I had a couple of dreams many years later about that scene of Vinnie Broadhead covered with the black slime. I'm reminded of it anytime I go by the Marathon oil refinery in Detroit.

It has been a long time since I've posted here, glad to see others having the same fascination with the film that I have always had.

Phil