Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 172

Thread: IMDb

  1. #61
    Senior Member Country: UK
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    260
    Liked
    0 times
    I have never had a problem with IMDB with regard to merging double entry names or adding new ones. Providing bio info is easy enough from a BDM website
    (birth,deaths & marriage) or something with reliable text such as a newspaper/mag cutting, which if its not there already you can upload to say a photobucket account as a picture and give them the link..

    The thing I found is that IMDB absolutely hates is deleting information and leaving a hole so to speak- so if you want to delete something,you have to have something ready to fill the hole you have just made otherwise IMDB gets a bit sulky and things get difficult.

    Its all very well critics saying that its full of inaccuracies, but we are dealing with a hundred years of film making with many now gone and others with fading and biased memories. In the past 10+ years we have seen many of the moaners start up their own databases, but they seem to have run out of steam pretty quickly and fall into neglect, even the snob's own preference -The BFI database - has been an utter shambles going on and off line at various times and instead of listing what it has actually got (which it could do very well) tries to compete with IMDB -when it feels like it.

  2. #62
    Senior Member Country: Jordan
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,253
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook View Post
    A point that you aren't really bothered about?

    As I said, mistakes can happen, and they can be corrected if you follow the guidelines

    Steve
    Let me correct that, I am no longer bothered about it. I tried to get it corrected and then gave up but my original point still stands. If anyone can submit an entry then the integrity of the database as a tool rests on someone caring enough and/having access to collaborating evidence, whether it is Bruce Cabot, Rita Tushingham or me!

  3. #63
    Senior Member Country: UK
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    260
    Liked
    0 times
    Looks like there are about 38! John Hamiltons listed

    So it's a tough call in anybody's book

  4. #64
    Senior Member Country: Jordan
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,253
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bert Quark View Post
    Looks like there are about 38! John Hamiltons listed

    So it's a tough call in anybody's book
    I can't remember now, I think I am 16

  5. #65
    Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    29,749
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bert Quark View Post
    I have never had a problem with IMDB with regard to merging double entry names or adding new ones. Providing bio info is easy enough from a BDM website
    (birth,deaths & marriage) or something with reliable text such as a newspaper/mag cutting, which if its not there already you can upload to say a photobucket account as a picture and give them the link..

    The thing I found is that IMDB absolutely hates is deleting information and leaving a hole so to speak- so if you want to delete something,you have to have something ready to fill the hole you have just made otherwise IMDB gets a bit sulky and things get difficult.

    Its all very well critics saying that its full of inaccuracies, but we are dealing with a hundred years of film making with many now gone and others with fading and biased memories. In the past 10+ years we have seen many of the moaners start up their own databases, but they seem to have run out of steam pretty quickly and fall into neglect, even the snob's own preference -The BFI database - has been an utter shambles going on and off line at various times and instead of listing what it has actually got (which it could do very well) tries to compete with IMDB -when it feels like it.
    Well said, all very true. Especially the part about them being reluctant to delete information. They always have been. You don't build up a massive database by deleting information

    Also, as I said to John, there are a lot of people "in the business" who have done things that they are now embarrassed by and that they would like to be removed. But the IMDb isn't a resume service (or not primarily, they offer that as well). People can't just add the data they like. It is, or aims to be, a record of everything done by each person in the database

    On the Contributors Help board we love people who say "I don't like the IMDb. I'm going to set up my own version of it". We've seen them come, and go - usually going quite quickly

    It always helps to read the user guides, or ask on the Contributors Help board. That is manned (or womanned in some cases) by people who have been using the IMDb for years, if not decades, and who know more about it than most IMDb staff members

    Steve

  6. #66
    Senior Member Country: Vatican Sgt Sunshine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,812
    Liked
    212 times
    ....still seems odd to me why they can't fill those vacancies in Bristol. I wonder if that's their head office for the UK
    Cheers
    Sgt S

  7. #67
    Senior Member Country: Jordan
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,253
    Liked
    0 times
    Don't get me started on the BFI database

  8. #68
    Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    29,749
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Sunshine View Post
    ....still seems odd to me why they can't fill those vacancies in Bristol. I wonder if that's their head office for the UK
    Cheers
    Sgt S
    Bristol is their head office for the whole of the IMDb around the world. It's a British company, run mainly by Brits

    It's always difficult to hire the right people. I know we do it ourselves

    Steve

  9. #69
    Senior Member Country: Vatican Sgt Sunshine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,812
    Liked
    212 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook View Post
    Bristol is their head office for the whole of the IMDb around the world. It's a British company, run mainly by Brits

    It's always difficult to hire the right people. I know we do it ourselves

    Steve
    Cheers Steve......I never knew that....

  10. #70
    Senior Member Country: England billy farmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    6,962
    Liked
    308 times
    I have tried quite a few times, to add Richard Davies http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0203928/?ref_=fn_al_nm_2 to the list of credits for This Is Your Life - John Alderton (1974).

    Twice now, instead of Richard Davies, IMDb have added Dickie Davies (who did not appear in the episode) to the list of credits for This Is Your Life - John Alderton http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0721734/...=tt_cl_sm#cast

    I will not give up, trying to add Richard Davies, to the list of credits for This Is Your Life - John Alderton (1974).
    Last edited by billy farmer; 04-12-14 at 07:42 PM.

  11. #71
    Senior Member Country: England Westengland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    209
    Liked
    11 times
    Quote Originally Posted by billy farmer View Post
    I have tried quite a few times, to add Richard Davies http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0203928/?ref_=fn_al_nm_2 to the list of credits for This Is Your Life - John Alderton (1974).

    Twice now, instead of Richard Davies, IMDb have added Dickie Davies (who did not appear in the episode) to the list of credits for This Is Your Life - John Alderton http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0721734/...=tt_cl_sm#cast

    I will not give up, trying to add Richard Davies, to the list of credits for This Is Your Life - John Alderton (1974).

    Are you entering the name "Richard Davies" using the Welsh actor Richard Davies's IMDb reference - Richard Davies (II) - as here?

    Every name that has more than one person entered with that name on IMDb has a Roman numeral in brackets after the name. Personal names that are very common in the UK and USA can have numerals composed with several letters.

    A lot of the mistaken identities on IMDb are due to contributors not checking that their subject won't be mistaken for another person with the same name - despite IMDb having automatic name checking(to a certain degree) - and people not correcting IMDb mistakes that they know about (Steve Crook posts passim - and me, agreeing, unposted).

  12. #72
    Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    8,877
    Liked
    177 times
    Quote Originally Posted by billy farmer View Post
    I will not give up, trying to add Richard Davies, to the list of credits for This Is Your Life - John Alderton (1974).
    Try it this way, billy. Go to Edit, then Cast and Re-check these updates:



    If your selection comes up as green it's ready to submit. Good luck.
    Last edited by cornershop15; 05-12-14 at 03:31 AM.

  13. #73
    Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    29,749
    Liked
    418 times
    It helps even more if you can put everyone else in the order in which they were listed in the credits, or for a show like this, the order in which they appeared.
    Presumably John Alderton appeared after Eamonn Andrews so John would be in order number 2.
    Being introduced by name is the equivalent of having their name in the cast list.

    Also, you could change John Alderton's credit to be Himself - Subject and all of the other guests as Himself - Guest or Herself - Guest as appropriate.

    Things like that should help persuade the IMDb staff that you have actually collected the data from the show rather than just from some other source

    The more information you can provide in each submission, the better. The IMDb isn't like Wikipedia

    Steve

  14. #74
    Senior Member Country: England billy farmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    6,962
    Liked
    308 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cornershop15 View Post


    Try it this way, billy. Go to Edit, then Cast and Re-check these updates:

    If your selection comes up as green it's ready to submit. Good luck.
    Cornershop, I tried the above method (earlier today), hopefully Richard Davies, will soon appear on the list of credits for This Is Your Life - John Alderton (1974).

    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0721734/...=tt_cl_sm#cast

  15. #75
    Senior Member Country: England billy farmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    6,962
    Liked
    308 times
    I got an email from IMDb, today, wishing me a Happy New Year.

    Link to an interesting Thread - http://www.imdb.com/board/bd0000042/thread/238589032

  16. #76
    Super Moderator Country: Great Britain
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,778
    Liked
    86 times
    Thanking me for all my efforts in 2013 and wishing me a good 2014.

    Odd.

    Nick

  17. #77
    Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    29,749
    Liked
    418 times
    I got another one after that saying "an old version was accidentally distributed earlier"

    To err is human ...

    Steve

  18. #78
    Super Moderator Country: Great Britain
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,778
    Liked
    86 times
    Same here.

    Nick

  19. #79
    Senior Member Country: Great Britain Tigon Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,116
    Liked
    86 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook View Post
    It helps even more if you can put everyone else in the order in which they were listed in the credits, or for a show like this, the order in which they appeared.
    Presumably John Alderton appeared after Eamonn Andrews so John would be in order number 2.
    Being introduced by name is the equivalent of having their name in the cast list.

    Also, you could change John Alderton's credit to be Himself - Subject and all of the other guests as Himself - Guest or Herself - Guest as appropriate.

    Things like that should help persuade the IMDb staff that you have actually collected the data from the show rather than just from some other source

    The more information you can provide in each submission, the better. The IMDb isn't like Wikipedia

    Steve
    Steve I've often wondered how IMDb managed to check the most obscure submissions.
    Do they have access to or possess a vast library data base of film? I frequently put in cast additions for non credited performers and they almost always seem to be accepted. I've just submitted an entry for the background artist Victor Harrington for an uncredited role in Carry on Cleo. Yet I can't believe that Imdb would know Victor Harrington from Victor Kiam! How do they do it?

  20. #80
    Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    29,749
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigon Man View Post
    Steve I've often wondered how IMDb managed to check the most obscure submissions.
    Do they have access to or possess a vast library data base of film? I frequently put in cast additions for non credited performers and they almost always seem to be accepted. I've just submitted an entry for the background artist Victor Harrington for an uncredited role in Carry on Cleo. Yet I can't believe that Imdb would know Victor Harrington from Victor Kiam! How do they do it?
    They mainly work on trust and reliability of contributors. Everyone starts off with a medium rating and all of their submissions are checked to see if they look to be reasonable. But they never check submissions against the actual film. They get so many submissions every day that would be impossible no matter how many staff they hired. Remember that most people don't pay to use the service or to make submissions

    As you submit more and more your reputation increases and they will accept more without such detailed checking. But if they discover that you have submitted incorrect information then your reputation can quickly plummet and can even lead to your submissions being silently ignored

    Steve

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The IMDb
    By Friese-Greene in forum British Films and Chat
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 23-10-12, 09:55 AM
  2. The IMDb
    By Steve Crook in forum General Film Chat
    Replies: 154
    Last Post: 30-10-10, 09:32 PM
  3. Imdb
    By torinfan in forum General Film Chat
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 15-11-09, 06:33 PM
  4. Imdb
    By MB in forum Media Studies
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 30-05-09, 11:43 PM
  5. IMDB
    By Marky B in forum Ask a Film Question
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-01-05, 12:47 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts