Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 172

Thread: IMDb

  1. #121
    Senior Member Country: Ireland
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    382
    Liked
    0 times
    The thing about IMDb it brings attention to the most obscure and leads you on wild goose chases, scouring for information. While researching Kartoon Circus, a syndicated TV series, I saw that its host, a magician was in Home in the heart of Texas, a film with one Rick Basa whose other credits are Jim Belushi Tv series Defenders, Dustin Hoffman series Luck and Rice Cracker with some actress from Steve Carell's Burt Wonderstone film and Larry Laverty of the overrated Lionsgate horror the Hamiltons and his frequent costar Talsky.
    I checked the other stars of Home in the Heart of Texas. One, Michael Laurin featured in the likes of Zero Dark Dirty with Corey Feldman and now produces movies in the Philippines for the likes of Anthem Pictures. Another, Kim Jackson Wheeler starred in Spirit Riders with Lance Henriksen, and appeared in a film called Stay at Home Dads with one Mark T Lee - his only other film being the Strange Adventures of Triangle Woman by notorious ex-Troma hacks Singa/Echelon Entertainment, starring Andrew Sensenig - of the Marvel TV show Powers. The other Stay at Home Dad in the film, John Charles Dickson apparently is in the Loo Brealey UK horror Containment (definitely an error) and Clayton and Claudia, an amateur film with Robert Rodriguez regular Mariah Rae Vincent. John Charles Dickson is behind Survival TV - a new movie which thanks Bear Grylls and John Gielgud in the credits, feature Discovery channel survivalist EJ Snyder as himself and Ant Man's Robert Crayton. I realise I also share a FB friend with Dickson in Trancers 1.5's Velvet Rhodes.

    Stay At Home Dads also featured scream queen Jessica Willis (http://horrornews.net/94204/film-rev...-resurrection/), Theresa Bell of Yahoo Serious' Reckless Kelly and VI Warshawski; and James Burleson, of the Brain Damage films cheapo horror the Sisters Four, the Red Room with Chris Phipps - JFK in Stephen King's 11-22-63 and ZOmbie Christ with Ernest James of Everybody Wants Some - the new Linklater film.


    Michael Laurin has produced films with Transformers' Carlos Moreno, Charmed's Mykel Jenkins, Leif Holt of 4Digital Media's Lizzie and Rich Lee. Rich Lee is in Bloodsucka Jones with Ghostbusters' Jennifer Runyon (http://www.horrorsociety.com/2016/05...-gets-trailer/) and the Danny Trejo film Enter the Fist with the Golden Fleecing, and KIn with Nell Teare. Teare was in a short, Eve and Steve with John Griffin of the insane Paul Bettany film Priest, and in Restraint with Twin Peaks' Dana Ashbrook.

    Another IMDB error I noticed - Dallas' Robert Johnson (also in films with Karate Kid's William Zabka, Sean Astin, Bruce Dern, Bill Paxton and Josh Duhamel) is mentioned in the news page when it should mention the late singer, also from Dallas. It should redirect you to a page about the singer not the actor.


    So you go from cartoon hosts to Bear Grylls in several fell swoops.
    Last edited by madeleymade; 16-06-16 at 07:49 PM.

  2. #122
    Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    29,732
    Liked
    418 times
    You should do some more research on the entries you think are incorrect (proper research, not just looking it up on the first web site that mentions them) to find out the correct information. You should then submit a correction giving the proof from your research. That's the way the IMDb works

    Steve

  3. #123
    Senior Member Country: England Westengland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    209
    Liked
    11 times
    Oh, IMDb is terrible for somebody easily distracted by information trails that lead away from the main subject - somebody just like me that is.

    You are aware, are you, that there are far, far, more sources about archive US television and radio to be found online now than most people outside North America realise.

  4. #124
    Senior Member Country: Ireland
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    382
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook View Post
    You should do some more research on the entries you think are incorrect (proper research, not just looking it up on the first web site that mentions them) to find out the correct information. You should then submit a correction giving the proof from your research. That's the way the IMDb works

    Steve
    I have, and what happened several times with entries is that they take thre wrong info, so the Aussie Brian McDermott has credits that belong to the UK actor and vice versa, when I was trying to fix it. I was trying to move four titles, and they moved seven and left one I told them to move.

    Hey, I realised Robert J Johnson is not only in Dallas but in Hidden in the Heart of Texas (the proper title, not Home in the Heart of Texas, that was my error)

    Nell Teare was in the godawful Oirish horror Ciaran the Demon Hunter, which shares several actors with Kane Hodder-starring St Patrick's Day slasher Muck.
    Last edited by madeleymade; 16-06-16 at 08:09 PM.

  5. #125
    Senior Member Country: Ireland
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    382
    Liked
    0 times
    So attached am I to IMDB info trails that I began to find so many unreleased films on there I compiled pages of them so people may one day wonder what became of them, and I am here to answer.
    Page 34 onward - http://monsterkidclassichorrorforum....of-day?page=34

  6. #126
    Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    29,732
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by madeleymade View Post
    I have, and what happened several times with entries is that they take thre wrong info, so the Aussie Brian McDermott has credits that belong to the UK actor and vice versa, when I was trying to fix it. I was trying to move four titles, and they moved seven and left one I told them to move.
    Do it one step at a time. Wait for that to be done before you submit the next one

    The first thing you need to learn with the IMDb is patience

    I've been doing it for 20 years!

    Steve

  7. #127
    Senior Member Country: Ireland
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    382
    Liked
    0 times
    They mislabel Edward Evans in the Henry Silva Mr. Moto film as the American actor Richard Evans.
    Similarly, several of the American actor Harry Woolf's credits are under Henry Woolf's entry.

  8. #128
    Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    29,732
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by madeleymade View Post
    So attached am I to IMDB info trails that I began to find so many unreleased films on there I compiled pages of them so people may one day wonder what became of them, and I am here to answer.
    Page 34 onward - http://monsterkidclassichorrorforum....of-day?page=34
    But will anyone see it on there? If you get them added to the IMDb then many millions will see them

    Steve

  9. #129
    Senior Member Country: Ireland
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    382
    Liked
    0 times
    I will put them on the IMDB eventully but I have to spend more time off the computer as I have a problem. I don't know anyone can help. Actor's names keep popping in my head when I'm walking, and i have to go to an internet cafe to look up and it's annoying, and i'm keep getting headaches. I started to use calming tablets and panadol, but I'm still stuck on IMDb rotting my head. Any other suggestions to prevent these info-trails?

  10. #130
    Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    29,732
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by madeleymade View Post
    They mislabel Edward Evans in the Henry Silva Mr. Moto film as the American actor Richard Evans.
    "They" didn't mislabel anything. Someone submitted incorrect information.

    They can't check everything in massive detail

    Steve

  11. #131
    Senior Member Country: Ireland
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    382
    Liked
    0 times
    Funniest IMDb miscredit is Sorry's William Moore as a black gang leader in 1997 Maverick Entertainment urban actioner Enemy.

  12. #132
    Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    29,732
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by madeleymade View Post
    Any other suggestions to prevent these info-trails?
    Only that you stop looking up so much on the IMDb. It's a massive database and by following so many trails you're bound to find mistakes. But for what is effectively crowd sourced data there are remarkably few errors

    Steve

  13. #133
    Senior Member Country: Ireland
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    382
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook View Post
    Only that you stop looking up so much on the IMDb. It's a massive database and by following so many trails you're bound to find mistakes. But for what is effectively crowd sourced data there are remarkably few errors

    Steve
    The trouble is, as my info trail has illustrated above is that it's not about errors unless where I state it - it's about endless clicking and discovering more and more levels of obscurity. An endless search for the bowels of information and trying to bring to light the obscure.
    Hence why I point out the other actors' credits. They're not mistakes. I checked their credits on the other databases and yes, they're correct, I';m just using to illustrate that they are the notable factors of these otherwise obscure films.
    I agree, in that Texas info-trail I did, I only came across two errors and one involved a news page, not the entry itself. The other error was the wrong Containment being listed on Dickson's CV, IFAIK everything else that I listed is correct.
    Last edited by madeleymade; 16-06-16 at 08:39 PM.

  14. #134
    Senior Member Country: England Westengland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    209
    Liked
    11 times
    Don't fret or dwell on these facts - just write them down, in hard-copy or electronically, put that information where you can retrieve it, go away and do something else, then come back to the facts bit by bit. I was being facetious about my "distractions" but I do actually have [insert whatever the current fashionable name is for a supposed "disorder"], so have been there - and am still there.

    Fifty-five years ago I was "sacked" (as my family always remind me) from kindergarden for being "All over the place" (i.e. not concentrating on the Montessori programme offered). Over half-a-century later, amongst many, many, other things I won't bore you with, the result of My Way Of Thinking is that I have found out that I know more about a number of films than anybody else - and IMDb is one of the best ways I can pass on the knowledge I have to everybody.

    So: collect the information (whatever the information maybe) - but separate it from your daily life in someway. Control it, don't let it control you.

  15. #135
    Senior Member Country: Ireland
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    382
    Liked
    0 times
    Electronically, yes, that's why I use the forums but not too much or they think I'm a spammer.
    I try to combine fact with decent, gentle conversation.
    Last edited by madeleymade; 16-06-16 at 09:05 PM.

  16. #136
    Senior Member Country: Ireland
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    382
    Liked
    0 times
    Despite IMDb's statements, I doubt the same Ruth Rickman in Doctors is the one in Fangoria film Dead on Site and Knowing what You Don't with Salem's Clint James and the only other film of the late Mark Gregg (his other credit the Pacific and Eddy with Dominique "Lolita" Swain and James "Frank the Bunny Duval")

  17. #137
    Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    29,732
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by madeleymade View Post
    Despite IMDb's statements, I doubt the same Ruth Rickman in Doctors is the one in Fangoria film Dead on Site and Knowing what You Don't with Salem's Clint James and the only other film of the late Mark Gregg (his other credit the Pacific and Eddy with Dominique "Lolita" Swain and James "Frank the Bunny Duval")
    "The IMDb" didn't make any statements about anything anything. Someone submitted incorrect information.

    They can't check everything in massive detail

    Steve

  18. #138
    Senior Member Country: England Westengland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    209
    Liked
    11 times
    Apart from adding and correcting film/television/video credits, if Britmoviers can add, or correct with, verified data about an individual's BMDs (Birth, Marriage Death) details to IMDb (via the templates provided), including creating a new entry for somebody, if needs be, then that would be very helpful.

    If you can contribute to Britmovie, you can contribute to IMDb.

  19. #139
    Senior Member Country: Ireland
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    382
    Liked
    0 times
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0376331/ Andy Henderson of the Vanishing Man is not the same one in the Colonial Williamsburgsploitation* Sergeant Cheerleader.
    *Apart from the likes of various PBS shows and Howards of Virginia with Cary Grant, there has been a little cottage industry of making historical educational epics in Williamsburg, Virginia.
    I'm not sure if the director of Sergeant Cheerleader's other film the Outsider (from the producers of Showgirls 2) stars the same Larry Holden who is in Batman Begins, but I think it is the same one.
    There also seems to be some missing cast on Dad's War, made by the same people as The Outsider - as the only actor listed is Criminal Minds/24's Constance Ejuma, plus a PA as an extra, and the director Martin Fusi is credited twice as two people.
    Last edited by madeleymade; 20-06-16 at 08:15 AM.

  20. #140
    Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    29,732
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by madeleymade View Post
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0376331/ Andy Henderson of the Vanishing Man is not the same one in the Colonial Williamsburgsploitation* Sergeant Cheerleader.
    *Apart from the likes of various PBS shows and Howards of Virginia with Cary Grant, there has been a little cottage industry of making historical educational epics in Williamsburg, Virginia.
    I'm not sure if the director of Sergeant Cheerleader's other film the Outsider (from the producers of Showgirls 2) stars the same Larry Holden who is in Batman Begins, but I think it is the same one.
    There also seems to be some missing cast on Dad's War, made by the same people as The Outsider - as the only actor listed is Criminal Minds/24's Constance Ejuma, plus a PA as an extra, and the director Martin Fusi is credited twice as two people.
    Have you submitted corrections to the IMDb?

    Steve

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The IMDb
    By Friese-Greene in forum British Films and Chat
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 23-10-12, 09:55 AM
  2. The IMDb
    By Steve Crook in forum General Film Chat
    Replies: 154
    Last Post: 30-10-10, 09:32 PM
  3. Imdb
    By torinfan in forum General Film Chat
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 15-11-09, 06:33 PM
  4. Imdb
    By MB in forum Media Studies
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 30-05-09, 11:43 PM
  5. IMDB
    By Marky B in forum Ask a Film Question
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-01-05, 12:47 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts