Thread: Riff Raff

Liked
    0 times
    I love films that get across the bleak "feeling" of being at the bottom of the pile in Britian. That surely is a challenge - to do that & still entertain.

Therefore, Ken Loach is a bit of a favourite of mine, & the bitter comedy of Riff Raff hits the spot 100% (with "Raining Stones" not far behind).

It has some top British names; Robert Carlyle, Ricky Tomlinson, etc.

It starts by painting a dismal picture, has many sad moments & a truly wretched ending, supposing that there is simply no point trying, because you just can't win.

All that said, there are some truly hilarious moments in there too.

Senior Member Country: United States Lord Lionheart's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by isolator42
    I love films that get across the bleak "feeling" of being at the bottom of the pile in Britian. That surely is a challenge - to do that & still entertain.

Therefore, Ken Loach is a bit of a favourite of mine, & the bitter comedy of Riff Raff hits the spot 100% (with "Raining Stones" not far behind).

It has some top British names; Robert Carlyle, Ricky Tomlinson, etc.

It starts by painting a dismal picture, has many sad moments & a truly wretched ending, supposing that there is simply no point trying, because you just can't win.

All that said, there are some truly hilarious moments in there too.
    I saw this when it first came out in the US............. with sub-titles, presumably so the American audience could understand the dialects.