Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked
    0 times
    Hey there, are there any fans of the Ray Winstone film Scum? If so, how would you feel if this film was remade in a modern context? Would the modern political environment we inhabit make for a more exciting tale than the original?

Senior Member Country: UK Mr Sloane's Avatar
    Liked
    239 times
    A more exciting tale ? I thought it was a cautionary tale about how the brutality of the young offenders system affected and brutalised all it touched. The warders as well as the inmates. But then again I have never been the daddy.

Liked
    0 times
    perhaps exciting was a wrong choice... maybe though-provoking is what i should have put. do you think racism in this film would be more shocking considering the 'politically correct' world we now live in. or should cult texts not be remade?

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I think 'Scum' is very much a film of it's time and am not sure how a remake would fare.

Who would you cast? I'm not very au-fait with modern cinema or actors, but no one inspiring springs to mind.

Perhaps the original cast of inmates could now be cast as the wardens?!

It's hard to envisage anyone else but Ray Winstone doing the sock routine, though!

Senior Member Country: England jaycad's Avatar
    Liked
    100 times
    i imagine it would be set in new york and have a lovely heart warming moral at the end of the heavy altered storyline.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    It was a film of its time about an institution that brutalised everybody involved. That situation no longer exists - or not to anywhere near that extent. It wouldn't "play true" if you tried to set it in contemporary times

Steve

Senior Member Country: Albania
    Liked
    0 times
    The 1979 version of Scum was a remake to begin with.

Also, the Borstal system was abolished shortly afterwards, and I'm not sure the same conditions exist in the juvenile prison system these days. So I'm not sure what the point of a straight remake would be.

Senior Member Country: UK didi-5's Avatar
    Liked
    191 times
    I'm not sure it would work. The film (haven't seen the original play) is incredibly powerful and certainly gets the message across - but that system probably doesn't exist any more.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    23 times
    Bit late in noticing this event, but "Scum" (1979) is the subject of a radio documentary TONIGHT (Monday 5 October) at 11.30 PM on BBC Radio 4.

Senior Member Country: UK frame69's Avatar
    Liked
    15 times
    It would'nt be a remake as such just a film based on the same system in modern times.

Only differences would be an abundance of xboxes, baseball caps and social workers instead of screws.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    2 times
    name='tylersnothere']Hey there, are there any fans of the Ray Winstone film Scum? If so, how would you feel if this film was remade in a modern context? Would the modern political environment we inhabit make for a more exciting tale than the original?

it would have to be renamed "asbo"

instead of their story of incarceration it would just be them carrying on freely as before only with a badge of honour .

cant see it working im afraid

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    there's no way they could remake scum, the film is brutally cold and harsh about a now defunct system. personally i don't think there is an actor out there today who could portray the part as ray winston did. on the other hand why would you want to portray scum in modern prison service? wouldn't be much of a film would it, i mean it'll be a story of prisoners trying to out do each others scores on the ps3 or xbox, or watching them surfing the net. way to cosy inside these days.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    A remake would have to be a period piece and such a beast could not hope to improve upon either the earlier version. To try and update it wouldn't work either because the current penal system is geared towards reform and not revenge. IMHO it would be a pointless exercise.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    An utterly pointless exercise. The prospect is chilling.

Senior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    1 times
    Oh.....dear.......God.....

How about finding a writer with something to say about the current system in a 21st Century context, or is that too much like asking for the cinema-going public to be treated to something exciting, fresh and relevant??

I swear, one more remake and I'll..........

Senior Member Country: Vatican Sgt Sunshine's Avatar
    Liked
    212 times
    name='Wicked Lady']Oh.....dear.......God.....

How about finding a writer with something to say about the current system in a 21st Century context, or is that too much like asking for the cinema-going public to be treated to something exciting, fresh and relevant??

I swear, one more remake and I'll..........

I agree with you Wicked Lady...................I'm getting sick & tired of hearing the word "remake" in all these threads..............

Change the record .......its getting boring...........

Sgt S

Senior Member Country: UK Dandy Forsdyke's Avatar
    Liked
    12 times
    Let's hope there isn't a remake. And let's also hope Guy Ritchie is not involved.

Senior Member Country: Spain Rowdon's Avatar
    Liked
    143 times
    name='MrSkipling']

It's hard to envisage anyone else but Ray Winstone doing the sock routine, though!

I'm happy to be corrected - I saw it once 30 years ago - and don't want to youtube/google ... but didn't Phil Daniels do the sock routine?

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='Rowdon']I'm happy to be corrected - I saw it once 30 years ago - and don't want to youtube/google ... but didn't Phil Daniels do the sock routine?

No, definitely Winstone.

Phil Daniels (as Richards) is the first recipient of the sock

It's a stunning scene because of the sudden, unexpected and mainly unemotional switch

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=on7OiRQPo-Q[/ame]

Ray also did the "Where's yer tool" routine in the coal store

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16Pth6cyGg0[/ame]

It was all part of his taking over

Steve

Senior Member Country: Spain Rowdon's Avatar
    Liked
    143 times
    Absolutely amazing. Not the scene (which is) or the film (which is) but the fact that I had a crisply defined image of Daniels tipping the balls out of the sock onto the table and saying "Carry on." Absolutely crisp and clear and totally utterly wrong. I'm gutted. What's the point of memory if it's no earthly use at all?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast