Liked
    0 times
    I think it was placed in Scotland, not sure but it was British. A young couple are married and live with her parents. The young husband tries on his wife underwear. He is caught by her father and this leads to the couple being separated. He is dejected because he still loves his wife and is not gay. They eventually talk and then even go out together to a club, he as a woman. They have fun and get back together.

The film takes a serious look at cross dressing and society's attitudes.

Thanks if anyone knows the title.

Senior Member Country: UK rose ellen's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    I saw this in the late 70`s/early 80`s and I think it was a television thing either a play or made for t.v film.I am sorry I don`t know the title.

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    name='masx']I think it was placed in Scotland, not sure but it was British. A young couple are married and live with her parents. The young husband tries on his wife underwear. He is caught by her father and this leads to the couple being separated. He is dejected because he still loves his wife and is not gay. They eventually talk and then even go out together to a club, he as a woman. They have fun and get back together.

The film takes a serious look at cross dressing and society's attitudes.

Thanks if anyone knows the title.

I can't help you with a title either but you have a good chance of finding it here:

Cross-dressing in film and television - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Liked
    80 times
    name='cornershop15']I can't help you with a title either but you have a good chance of finding it here:

Cross-dressing in film and television - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Had a look there, Cornershop, and one or two other sites, but nothing seemed to quite fit. I came across a BBC2 Playhouse presentation from 1980 which was about a transvestite husband:

BFI | Film & TV Database | MARY'S WIFE (1980)

Don't know which of the actors played the husband , though! And the play does still exist in the archives.

E.

Liked
    177 times
    name='Euryale']Had a look there, Cornershop, and one or two other sites, but nothing seemed to quite fit. I came across a BBC2 Playhouse presentation from 1980 which was about a transvestite husband:

BFI | Film & TV Database | MARY'S WIFE (1980)

Don't know which of the actors played the husband , though! And the play does still exist in the archives.

E.

Thanks Euryale. I've just found this at IMDB:

BBC2 Playhouse: Mary's Wife (1980)

The husband was probably Robert Gillespie. Was Barbara Leigh-Hunt the wife? Timeslip actor John Barcroft is also among the cast.

Senior Member Country: Australia ShirlGirl's Avatar
    Liked
    199 times
    This topic brings to mind Esther Williams revealing in her autobiography that when she and Jeff Chandler were in love and living together, she'd been out one day and came home to find him wearing a polka dot dress. He then confessed that he was a cross-dresser. She'd had no idea so it was quite a shock. She couldn't accept it and they broke up. In an interview she joked that it was his dress sense that did it - he was nuts about polka dots, but they didn't suit him!

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    There was a very good radio play about a cross-dressing but definitely not gay husband on BBC radio 4 a while ago. The husband was played by an actor who you'd normally associate with more macho roles - I can't recall who played the lead, I keep thinking Graham Cole, Tony Stamp from The Bill. Or possibly Christopher Ellison (D.I. Burnside)

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the info so far. I think I recall that the picture might have been Black and White. I do believe it was more a film than TV but could have been a made for Tv movie. They couple were quite young. They had to separate when the father made them, The girl stayed living in the parent's house but the husband moved out. He is miserable and does communicate with her by phone until they agree to see each other. They finally actually go out to a club with him dressed as a women, all the make up and everything. They have a great time and I think he gets her to come to his apartment where they have wonderful sex together. The film is more about society's attitudes toward anything like that. And yes it could have been in central England and not scotland.

Hey what do I know I am way over here in North America's west coast! I really need to find and confirm the titla of this show. I do appreciate your efforts, all.

Liked
    177 times
    I can't work out if you think it's an old black and white film or a more recent TV movie. Do you have an idea of when this was made and when you saw it?

Senior Member Country: New Zealand
    Liked
    0 times
    I remember seeing a film (or play??) on TV a few years back where the husband was caught by his wife wearing some of her clothes and had to leave home. He then went to live at a boarding house where he started a relationship with his landlady. When she discovered his "little" secret she was going to throw him out but then had a change of mind and accepted him for what he was. There was also a scene where he went to a business meeting in drag - I think it was to meet some Japanese businessmen.

Sorry but I can't remember the title.

BrianL

Liked
    80 times
    name='brianl']I remember seeing a film (or play??) on TV a few years back where the husband was caught by his wife wearing some of her clothes and had to leave home. He then went to live at a boarding house where he started a relationship with his landlady. When she discovered his "little" secret she was going to throw him out but then had a change of mind and accepted him for what he was. There was also a scene where he went to a business meeting in drag - I think it was to meet some Japanese businessmen.

Sorry but I can't remember the title.

BrianL

Think that might be Just Like a Woman (1992) with Julie Walters and Adrian Pasdar.

E.

Liked
    80 times
    A Little Bit of Lippy (1992)?

E.