Liked
    0 times
    Hello,

I've trawled goggle and imdb but have drawn a massive blank.

Any help or suggestions or where to hunt would be much appriciated.

About 10 years ago whilst studying i remember watching this charming black and white flick on Channel 4 I think it was. The general gist was it was War time, two soliders/sailers/pilots had been injured and there was a rivalry between them. They were always trying to get one up on each other. I remember a scene where they are playing cards and one used a shaving mirror I think to see the other chaps cards, also remember a scene where one visits the other once he is better, and he pretends that he has had his leg taken off to make the other feel bad!

Again, if anyone can point me in the right direction, any help would be fantastic!!

Liked
    0 times
    From memory a lot of the one up manship takes place in a hospital ward

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    It's not set in the war but it sounds a bit like the Sanatorium sequence from Trio with Finlay Currie and John Laurie.

Senior Member Country: New Zealand
    Liked
    0 times
    I think that there is a scene very much like this in "Over Here" starring Martin Clunes but it is in colour.

BrianL

Liked
    0 times
    Definatly not Martin Clunes but i'll check Trio out

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    1 times
    There's a Laurel and Hardy film (can't remember its title) in which they play ex-soldiers who are reunited. When they meet, Stan just happens to be sitting in a wheelchair, and Ollie assumes that he has lost a leg (or two).

I saw this on telly aeons ago, and I thought it was surprisingly sophisticated for L & H.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    4 times
    It is most definitely a scene from OVER HERE, and the airmen are played by Samuel West and Jay Goede.

Goede's character Herschel Lenko runs Squadron Leader Archie Bunting (West) off the road by driving to the right along a stretch of English country lane. They're both dating the same girl, only West is driving back from having spent the night with her (and subsequently having beeen duffed up by her dad) whilst Goede is en route to take her to the cinema. As a result they end up in hospital together, where Lenko finds out that Bunting is the lone British pilot who saved an incoming Flying Fortress from a Luftwaffe attack. Of course, in reality, there was no Luftwaffe in the area, and it was Bunting himself who accidentally shot the US plane down from behind a cloud whilst hung over after a stag party, but it's hushed up by the CO (Martin Clunes) in the interests of Anglo-American relations.

Bunting cons Lenko out of his money by looking over his shoulder into a shaving mirror: when Lenko finds out, he uses a marked deck to win the money back, but is fooled by Bunting's pretend 'false leg' which is simply a metal flask in the Englishman's trousers, which he taps with a walking stick (also used for effect) to make a hollow sound, and gives it all back to him. He then realises he's been conned again when West runs for a bus, and resolves to get even with him at a forthcoming regimental party, with hilarious results...