Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked
    0 times
    Campbell's Kingdom due for a PAL release by Network on June 22.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    There has been a good German DVD available for ages. If Network use the same print it'll be well worth having.

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    I've pre-ordered my copy off HMV Online. It's the same price as listed on amazon uk, but with HMV Online, I don't have to any pay postage and VAT charges on top of the price of the DVD.

Super Moderator Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    86 times
    Why were the screenings staggered across the country with that for South London so far behind other regions, and the rest of London?

Nick

GRAEME
    Very disappointing Campbell's Kingdom. Not a tin of soup in sight. And as for meatballs...

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    name='Nick Dando']Why were the screenings staggered across the country with that for South London so far behind other regions, and the rest of London?

Nick

Also, in those days London releases were split into three regions and South London was always 2 weeks behind North London. I lived in North West London and so fortunately we always got releases before the North East and South London areas!

Liked
    98 times
    I received my new DVD of Campbell's Kingdom this morning and I am very pleased with it. It's been remastered in 1.85:1 and the colour and image are beautiful. No commentary track (well, is there anyone from the cast and crew who is still around after 52 years to do one?), but there are some good extras, including a stills gallery and production stills, as well as the original two and a half minute trailer that I haven't seen since the week before I went to see the film in early February, 1958 and what a different world it was back then. I was two months short of my eleventh birthday.

There is also an unusual item on the extras. The opening credits and end title sequences without any overprint, so that you can see the scenery properly that's mostly hidden behind the credits in the finished film. These sequences are full frame colour and silent. The cover of the DVD is very well designed, too. All in all, a highly recommended release of a classic Rank Dirk Bogarde film that should have been out on DVD years ago.

Liked
    255 times
    Michael Craig and Barbara Murray are still going strong. And to moan yet again about how poorly Brit films are treated in the UK, CK has been available in Germany on R2 dvd for several years.

Liked
    98 times
    Yes and the DVD of Hunted was available in Germany for some years before it was released here as part of the Dirk Bogarde Screen Icons box set from Optimum. The German release also contains the original British trailer for Hunted, but someone I know who has bought the Optimum box set tells me that the Hunted DVD in that doesn't have the trailer on it.

Senior Member Country: United States theuofc's Avatar
    Liked
    399 times
    name='darrenburnfan']I received my new DVD of Campbell's Kingdom this morning and I am very pleased with it. It's been remastered in 1.85:1 and the colour and image are beautiful. No commentary track (well, is there anyone from the cast and crew who is still around after 52 years to do one?), but there are some good extras, including a stills gallery and production stills, as well as the original two and a half minute trailer that I haven't seen since the week before I went to see the film in early February, 1958 and what a different world it was back then. I was two months short of my eleventh birthday.

There is also an unusual item on the extras. The opening credits and end title sequences without any overprint, so that you can see the scenery properly that's mostly hidden behind the credits in the finished film. These sequences are full frame colour and silent. The cover of the DVD is very well designed, too. All in all, a highly recommended release of a classic Rank Dirk Bogarde film that should have been out on DVD years ago.

Darrenburnfan:

Many thanks for the details of the Network DVD of CAMPBELL'S KINGDOM. The credits sans overprint sound like excellent extras.

One of these days, with luck Network or another will release PROVIDENCE, another Bogarde film that deserves to be on commercial DVD.

All the best,

Barbara

Liked
    0 times
    name='theuofc']Darrenburnfan:

Many thanks for the details of the Network DVD of CAMPBELL'S KINGDOM. The credits sans overprint sound like excellent extras.

One of these days, with luck Network or another will release PROVIDENCE, another Bogarde film that deserves to be on commercial DVD.

I'll be ordering CK as well. But what about THE SINGER NOT THE SONG? That's the Bogarde film we really need!

Liked
    98 times
    Thanks, Barbara. I think it's important for members who buy such new releases as this to let others know what the extras on the discs are, as there is often so little information about extras on sites such as amazon; HMV and Play.com. In fact, we're lucky if even an aspect ratio is given. This ends up in customers buying them and just hoping for the best.

I'm sorry though that it was Optimum who released the Dirk Bogarde box set, as their discs rarely have any extras and certainly, the Dirk Bogarde set, so I've been told, has none. Because it would have been interesting to see the original trailers for such titles as The Blue Lamp and The Spanish Gardener, in order to see how they were pitched at the time. These trailers are available if Optimum had wanted to include them. But they are definitely a bare bones outfit. Incidentally, on the Campbell's Kingdom trailer on the Network release, I noticed that Tim Turner, who does the voice over, refers to Dirk's character as John Campbell, when in the film, he is named Bruce Campbell.

Liked
    399 times
    name='asiamiles']I'll be ordering CK as well. But what about THE SINGER NOT THE SONG? That's the Bogarde film we really need!

Hi, Asiamiles:

Not sure if it is still available but SINGER NOT THE SONG was released by a German company with English subtitles which was available in Germany (high shipping) and in Australia (lower shipping).

All the best,

Barbara

Liked
    1 times
    The price isn't bad at the moment:

[ame=http://www.amazon.de/Sommer-Verfluchten-Dirk-Bogarde/dp/B000E8RE66/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1245750785&sr=1-1]Sommer der Verfluchten: Amazon.de: Dirk Bogarde, Sir John Mills, Myl�ne Demongeot, Philip Green, Roy Ward Baker: DVD & Blu-ray[/ame]

Liked
    399 times

Lord Brett to the rescue! Thanks for that and also a good price.

Best,

Barbara

Liked
    255 times
    It's released by Phoenix, who also did the German CK release, which uses a very good print.

Liked
    0 times

But it gives 4:3 as the aspect ratio. And this is a 'scope film.

Liked
    98 times
    Using Alta Vista Babel Fish Internet Translator, I translated from German into English one of the amazon customer's reviews on the item page. He complains that the opening credits are in CinemaScope, but then the image zooms in so that the sides of the picture are cut off. In other words, it's an old pan and scan video version put onto DVD.

Liked
    1 times
    Good work Darrenburnfan. It hadn't occured to me to do that.

Liked
    399 times
    name='darrenburnfan']Using Alta Vista Babel Fish Internet Translator, I translated from German into English one of the amazon customer's reviews on the item page. He complains that the opening credits are in CinemaScope, but then the image zooms in so that the sides of the picture are cut off. In other words, it's an old pan and scan video version put onto DVD.
    It's unfortunate, isn't it? But, alas, it's all we have for now and better than nada. One of these days, fingers crossed, we'll get a proper SNTS dvd.

Also, unfortunately, companies leave it too long to interview cast members for special features, and by the time they get around to releasing a film, they're all dead. That's what happened with one Bogarde release. He was on their list to be interviewed, but time passed, he died and there went a great interview. Although we have the one interview on the VICTIM dvd, there could have been more of Bogarde and of other actors.

Barbara

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast