Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magpie

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    2 times
    For all fans of Susan Stranks :)

[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Magpie-DVD/dp/B00272F3TW]Magpie [DVD] [1968]: Amazon.co.uk: DVD[/ame]

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    What about us Jenny Hanley fans?

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    Amazing news! I never expected that would happen. No real details of what's on there (a reunion and interviews, along with archive material?) but Amazon reports that it's two discs. That's great, very exciting. Thank you very much indeed for letting me/us know, Crunchie.

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    Apparently Biddy Baxter was not a fan of Magpie. Unsurprisingly

Blue Peter doyenne Biddy Baxter recalled the competition as studiedly anarchic: "They used to make the presenters arse around in a way that children found extremely embarrassing and patronising and it was just a terrible mess."

Senior Member Country: UK Windyridge's Avatar
    Liked
    52 times
    Douglas Rae is now a successful film producer Douglas Rae and a thoroughly nice chap.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    Am I imagining it, or did Mick Robertson release a dodgy single called 'The Tango's Over'?

Liked
    177 times
    Are these among the things we can look forward to on the long-awaited DVD release?

Susan Stranks looks lovely here. She was married to the sadly late Robin Ray, presenter of Film Buff of the Year and occasional actor.

[ame=http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ep3rAfPvkrY&NR=1]YouTube - Magpie Thames TV[/ame]

Pete Brady, who Susan handed over to there, made a surprise appearance in an episode of Special Branch I saw last week .

He played a reporter interviewing Stephanie Beacham.

Talking of "sadly late", I still can't believe Tony Bastable is no longer with us.

[ame=http://youtube.com/watch?v=NTPnP19beQ0&feature=related]YouTube - Magpie ITV 1972[/ame]

My memories of this show, which ended when I was 15 are virtually non-existent, except for the earlier opening titles and theme,

and Jenny hosting the very last show. The presenters' names are shown this time.

[ame=http://youtube.com/watch?v=qrBm2WDFC6U&feature=related]YouTube - Magpie UK ITV 1970's Childrens TV Programme[/ame]

I hope the 2-disc DVD will rekindle some memories for me (and you) but I'd much rather time hadn't moved on.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    name='CaptainWaggett']Apparently Biddy Baxter was not a fan of Magpie. Unsurprisingly

I remember Magpie making a guy for bonfire night and announced we've called our dummy Peter for some reason.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    2 times
    i seem to remember susan stranks used to wear some quite revealing clothes in her time as a magpie presenter ,so ive been told anyway .

bet there was a lot of young lads in a hurry to get home from school on magpie days back then

Liked
    137 times
    Full details are available on the Network website, apparently it contains 12 full episodes

Magpie: Volume 1: Network DVD

Senior Member Country: England jaycad's Avatar
    Liked
    100 times
    1968?? i didn't realise 'magpie' went back so far!! i only remember the colour episodes with kevin keegan presenting!!!

Senior Member Country: UK Moor Larkin's Avatar
    Liked
    120 times
    name='jaycad']1968?? i didn't realise 'magpie' went back so far!! i only remember the colour episodes with kevin keegan presenting!!!
    Which magpies are we talking about now?

Liked
    100 times
    name='Moor Larkin']Which magpies are we talking about now?

the one mentioned-my grandad (for some reason known only to himself) used to tell me that mick robertson was kevin keegan!

Senior Member Country: UK Moor Larkin's Avatar
    Liked
    120 times
    name='jaycad']the one mentioned-my grandad (for some reason known only to himself) used to tell me that mick robertson was kevin keegan!

Should've checked the barcode..................

Liked
    100 times
    name='Moor Larkin']

Should've checked the barcode..................

ha ha-yeah,i didn't think of that!!

Liked
    177 times
    name='dpgmel']Full details are available on the Network website, apparently it contains 12 full episodes

Magpie: Volume 1: Network DVD

Thanks, dpgmel. The cover looks beautiful. It comes as no surprise that "out of approximately 1000 episodes made, less than a hundred survive", but that is actually many more than I expected. I like to think the rest went to 'TV Heaven'.

As the DVD is billed as Volume 1 with a PDF copy of the first annual, I wonder if Network's intention is to release all the surviving episodes as twelve-per-volume, along with the other annuals as a bonus ?

Usually, I wait for boxsets to come round, but I am desperate to see this programme again, and have been since the day it finished.

Liked
    492 times
    Magpie reunion - with pictures

Senior Member Country: England John Llewellyn Moxey's Avatar
    Liked
    45 times
    name='CaptainWaggett']Magpie reunion - with pictures

Thank you for the picture of Jenny! I directed her in a commercial on Brighton beach, early in her career. She has the look of Dinah.

John

Liked
    492 times
    Some shocking revelations buried at the bottom of the article
    But Rae, 61, who is now a film and television producer, revealed that the rivalry was sometimes friendly, describing how he had a brief fling with Blue Peter star Lesley Judd.

They kept the relationship secret for fear of causing controversy.

‘Lesley was very pretty and, when I met her at a charity function I asked her out for dinner,’ he said.

‘She accepted and we had a bit of a fling. That was the most daring thing I could have

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    name='CaptainWaggett']Some shocking revelations buried at the bottom of the article

I am gutted ! I have just flushed my Blue Peter badge down the khazi. It was a gold one too, which, as you know, is only presented for saving a member of the royal family from mortal danger.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast