Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Senior Member Country: England faginsgirl's Avatar
    Liked
    416 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cornershop15
    I found that Flypaper episode very disturbing. At the end, it seemed to me as if the writer was on the side of the kidnappers. Not the way I choose to remember Alfred Burke!]

Thats the sign of a good writer. Its like when writers try and portray nazi officers, they get into thier minds as much as they can but that doesn`t mean they agree with what they have done. When you write for t.v the production companies often change the end too to make things more dramatic or just because they think thiers is a better idea. In my opinion, it worked well, it still has us lot talking about it anyway!

xx

Senior Member Country: England jaycad's Avatar
    Liked
    100 times
    Quote Originally Posted by faginsgirl
    Thats the sign of a good writer. Its like when writers try and portray nazi officers, they get into thier minds as much as they can but that doesn`t mean they agree with what they have done. When you write for t.v the production companies often change the end too to make things more dramatic or just because they think thiers is a better idea. In my opinion, it worked well, it still has us lot talking about it anyway!

xx

i think it's one of the best episodes of TOTU along with 'the umbrella man' and 'the hitchhiker' which are both roald dahls own!

Liked
    416 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jaycad
    i think it's one of the best episodes of TOTU along with 'the umbrella man' and 'the hitchhiker' which are both roald dahls own!

I remember the umbrella man, not sure about the hitchiker, is that the one with the little Irish character?

xx

Liked
    100 times
    I remember the umbrella man, not sure about the hitchiker, is that the one with the little Irish character?

xx

that's the one! it's based on the dahl short story 'the fingersmith' which i remember reading in junior school!

Senior Member Country: UK Sleepin_Dragon's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Just got into these. Watched Flypaper, what a really really creepy episode. Waiting for the one called Fat Chance, have memories of that one .

Liked
    416 times
    Wallpaper has to be one of the most horrifying dramas ever made. (((SHIVER))).

XX

Liked
    0 times
    Even though it was made quite a few years ago it holds up very well, very creepy story, bet it was hard hitting when released at the time !!

Senior Member Country: UK Brief Encounter's Avatar
    Liked
    10 times
    I have the first series and enjoyed it, all very easy to watch and good stars. I will be buying series two and three at some point, I've read after that it goes downhill.

Liked
    100 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Brief Encounter
    I have the first series and enjoyed it, all very easy to watch and good stars. I will be buying series two and three at some point, I've read after that it goes downhill.

coincidently the series goes a bit bollocks as soon as it tries to tempt the americans by casting some of their 'B' list stars! i find that both 'thriller; and 'journey to the unknown' makes that mistake!

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Just watched "Flypaper" (thanks for posting it) and was impressed and that it wasn't some misty eyed nostalgia on my part on how good they were. I only remember two episodes from childhood.

One where a woman gets her head stuck in a statue, it's in the garden and they spend most of the episode trying to free her until her husband as a bright idea, and the other about a tattoo'd tramp. Think I may invest in the boxset which Amazon have got for �33 - seems to be the best price.

Liked
    10 times
    The head in the statue is Series One. The lady is Joan Collins!

I await seeing Jessie Matthews' episode, of course. (Series 3 - A Picture of a Place)

Senior Member Country: United States will.15's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    That one with Joan Collins sounds familiar. I saw some of season one, which was shown here when it came out. I remember very well the one with Jose Ferrer.

Liked
    10 times
    ...which is the first episode of all.

Senior Member Country: UK didi-5's Avatar
    Liked
    191 times
    I have the whole series - some are very good, some are awful. But it seems that most people were tempted enough to appear in it which makes it quite interesting.

Senior Member Country: UK wellendcanons's Avatar
    Liked
    154 times
    Wallpaper has to be one of the most horrifying dramas ever made. (((SHIVER))).

XX

Thanks for posting it on You Tube faginsgirl. I've just watched it. Excellent episode. I have never seen it before. I don't have series 1 yet. My favourite episode "Lamb To The Slaughter" is one of the episodes so there's an incentive to get it. The episode that Derek Jacobi has a tattoo on his back Monkeymanbob is called "Skin" and it's in season 2.

I thought there were a few good episodes later in the series, but not as many. I like the one with Peter Egan, Jennie Linden and Suzanne Danielle called "Pattern Of Guilt". The American ones seemed to me to be pretty dire.

wellendcanons.

Liked
    0 times
    It really isnt all downhill after series 3, Some of 5 are brilliant, even one or two of the last series are excellent. True the American ones are awful.

Sheila Gish is very good in a few, Fat Chance was excellent

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by wellendcanons
    Thanks for posting it on You Tube faginsgirl. I've just watched it. Excellent episode. I have never seen it before. I don't have series 1 yet. My favourite episode "Lamb To The Slaughter" is one of the episodes so there's an incentive to get it. The episode that Derek Jacobi has a tattoo on his back Monkeymanbob is called "Skin" and it's in season 2.

I thought there were a few good episodes later in the series, but not as many. I like the one with Peter Egan, Jennie Linden and Suzanne Danielle called "Pattern Of Guilt". The American ones seemed to me to be pretty dire.

wellendcanons.

Lamb to the Slaughter is one of the best, really enjoyed that one.

Senior Member Country: United States will.15's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by wellendcanons

wellendcanons.
    I'm a little perplexed by the notion that the series went downhill with the inclusion of American actors. There were American actors from the start. At least the first season aired on ABC. They wouldn't have aired the show without some familiar faces in the cast. Check the cast listings: Jose Ferrer, Julie Harris, Joseph Cotton, Jack Weston, Elaine Stretch, and many more.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by will.15
    I'm a little perplexed by the notion that the series went downhill with the inclusion of American actors. There were American actors from the start. At least the first season aired on ABC. They wouldn't have aired the show without some familiar faces in the cast. Check the cast listings: Jose Ferrer, Julie Harris, Joseph Cotton, Jack Weston, Elaine Stretch, and many more.

Elaine Stretch was great in the eps, the later series did have a lot of American eps, the one with the Twins, the cop from Murder She wrote etc, and they were awful, along with some of the awful british eps.

Liked
    100 times
    Quote Originally Posted by will.15

there are more american based episodes in the later series (or there seems to be?) and they are the weaker stories IMO i can't remember the episode titles offhand but i remember one starring david cassidy as twins which was dreadful! the one starring eli wallach was good though!

it sounds like i'm always harping on about the americans but what gets my goat is british productions either trying to emulate american productions or entice the american market with a lame attempt at including an american actor but throwing the story to the wind.my other bugbear is when an obviously british story is adapted and re-set in new york and with a slight title change! i don't get it?? why not just make a completely new story?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast