Thread: Women in film

Liked
    0 times
    Hi i'm a film studies student gathering information research regarding women and film. My research area hypothesis is .......

How does Soffia Coppola represent lead female characters within her film texts?

It would be helpful if you could give me your opinions and theories into my topic area, thanks.

Senior Member Country: Wales
    Liked
    0 times
    Well, I have only seen 'Lost in translation' and 'Marie Antionette', but, it seems to me that she presents her characters as people first and there is little to no unnessecary emphasis on their sex. I think, increasingly, this is what we are seeing - I don't think Sofia Coppola is unusual in that these days.

Senior Member Country: Spain Rowdon's Avatar
    Liked
    143 times
    I remember Scarlett Johanssen said that the silk knickers scene at the beginning of Lost In Translation was easier to do because Soffia Coppola put a pair on and walked round in them first - she said "I couldn't imagine Robert Redford doing that."

But more to the point, Sky, what answers are you hoping for here? You really need to put some broad brushstrokes of your own in first, otherwise you're asking 'us' to give opinions which we presumably don't have 'to hand' and would therefore have to formulate to help you (unless some posters have a very fixed idea on exactly this subject).

There's nothing wrong with asking, of course, but you haven't defined your terms:

Is "within her film texts" different from "in her films"? If so, why the baroquism, and if not, then what exactly are the "film texts" referred to?

What do you understand by Coppola "representing" the female lead characters as opposed to just presenting them?

How are you going to clarify your own understanding of the question?

What are your ideas? Are you going to compare her "lead female characters" to the secondary female characters in the same film?

Or to lead female characters in the hands of other female directors?

Or to similar lead female characters in other films?

Or to Coppola's treatment of lead male characters?

What is your angle, Sky?

You refer to "my topic area", but your topic area at the moment seems no clearer than a general reference to a Hollywood film director's work?

I'm not suggesting you post all your ideas on the net for every Media Studies student on the planet to nick, but you can probably give us some kind of direction of argument or basic shapes of your thought process ... you're in further education: I bet you can think up a way of telling us more without giving away your own research results.

Senior Member Country: Wales
    Liked
    0 times
    I think that sets it out very well Rowdon and any film student studying 'Women in film' would benefit from reading that.

Yeych - I mis-spelt 'unnecessary'.

Senior Member Country: Spain Rowdon's Avatar
    Liked
    143 times
    Thank you, MB.