Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    1930's or 1940's movie which involves a man enjoying an evenings entertainment in a posh cabaret club and somehow lands himself in deep trouble when his or someone else's wallet - which may look identical - implicates him with a serious crime. I believe he tries to prove his innocence by finding the real owner of the wallet.

It's possible the man actually commited the crime but desperately tries to hide evidence implicating him. A wallet definitely features and is the key to who did the murder or stole the large amount of money. It may have even been an expensive piece of jewellery that was stolen.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='icestation2']1930's or 1940's movie which involves a man enjoying an evenings entertainment in a posh cabaret club and somehow lands himself in deep trouble when his or someone else's wallet - which may look identical - implicates him with a serious crime. I believe he tries to prove his innocence by finding the real owner of the wallet.

It's possible the man actually commited the crime but desperately tries to hide evidence implicating him. A wallet definitely features and is the key to who did the murder or stole the large amount of money. It may have even been an expensive piece of jewellery that was stolen.

Could it be ... The Brown Wallet (1936)

A bankrupt publisher thinks all his troubles are over when he stumbles across a Brown Wallet containing 200 pounds. But he is implicated in the murder of his wealthy aunt ...

A human but not altogether satisfactory story of a penniless publisher who escapes the consequences of a money theft by becoming involved in a murder charge respecting his aunt. Minor characterisations and good acting generally improve the assets of a moderate dramatic quota attraction.

Story:- John Gillespie, penniless book publisher, fails to obtain money from his unsympathetic, wealthy aunt. On the way home he finds �2,000 cash in a taxi and transfers it to a room which he tells his wife he has hired for business purposes. Meanwhile his aunt has died under suspicion of being poisoned.

John, asked by the police to make a statement, is unable on account of his theft to give satisfactory answers. at the inquest he is in danger of becoming charged with murder, when discoveries by his former house servant, an ex-soldier, lead to the crime being traced to Miss Gillespie's butler and companion. By his aunt's legacy John is enabled to return the stolen cash to its owner.

Directed by Michael Powell, starring Patric Knowles with Nancy O'Neil

Sadly, it's on the "Missing, Believed Lost" list

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    The Brown Wallet is very much correct although it's very disappointing to hear it's a gonner.

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    name='icestation2']The Brown Wallet is very much correct although it's very disappointing to hear it's a gonner.

When did you see it? Has it been shown in public since 1936?

Liked
    418 times
    name='CaptainWaggett']When did you see it? Has it been shown in public since 1936?
    Good question. You beat me to it

icestation2, where did you see it, and when?

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    As far as I can remember it was shown on either the BBC or Channel 4 back in the mid 80's. I actually though it was a good film.

Liked
    492 times
    I'm sure it's a great film but The Brown Wallet is officially on the BFI's Missing Believed Lost list. I suspect one of their researchers might have noticed if it had been on telly - I'm sure I would have done...

Liked
    0 times
    Obviously without seeing a clip of the film I certainly can't be 100% sure but the description seems to fit perfectly. I definitely saw the film I'm interested in on terrestrial TV certainly no earlier than the early 80's.

Can 'The Brown Wallet' have become lost even though it was shown on TV within the last 30 years?

Liked
    418 times
    name='icestation2']Obviously without seeing a clip of the film I certainly can't be 100% sure but the description seems to fit perfectly. I definitely saw the film I'm interested in on terrestrial TV certainly no earlier than the early 80's.

Can 'The Brown Wallet' have become lost even though it was shown on TV within the last 30 years?
    Anything's possible. But it sounds very unlikely. And it's a bit difficult to show you a clip from a film that we think is lost

The only image I have is the ad from the trade show

Probably not too much help in identifying it.

There are some contemporary reviews on the PaPAS site and the extract from the BFI's Missing, Believed Lost book

This is one of his early works that Michael Powell remained enthusiastic about in his old age: 'It was a very ingenious little thriller - too ingenious ... It's funny, when a thriller's too ingenious it becomes a little picture; when it's simple it's got a chance of being big. This was a beautifully worked-out little thriller with a young actor who was coming on fast and then went to Hollywood, Patric Knowles.

Knowles played a young publisher in severe financial difficulties who keeps a wallet full of banknotes that he finds in a taxi, only to be accused of having murdered his aunt and stolen the money from her safe.

Screenwriter Ian Dalrymple's talent was recognised and he was quickly engaged on major pictures, including Storm in a Teacup (1937), South Riding, Pygmalion and The Citadel (all 1938). He later became a leading British producer of such films as The Wooden Horse (1950).

Steve

Liked
    492 times
    I can't find any record of it having been shown on tv (which doesn't mean it wasn't - it might have slipped into the schedules at short notice) but it seems very unlikely - people have been looking for it for a long time. I assumed Steve was joking in suggesting it...

Liked
    418 times
    name='CaptainWaggett']I can't find any record of it having been shown on tv (which doesn't mean it wasn't - it might have slipped into the schedules at short notice) but it seems very unlikely - people have been looking for it for a long time. I assumed Steve was joking in suggesting it...
    No, I wasn't joking. It seemed to fit the description. 1930s or 40s. A mistake with someone else's wallet that leads to him being accused of a serious crime. It was only when icestation2 said that it was that film that I, like you, wondered where he might have seen it

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    After looking at the different reviews etc about the film, I'm about 99% sure it's the correct film and I definitely watched it on TV within the last 30 years. Unfortunately I didn't tape it. Damn and Blast!!!!

Unless ...... my mum taped it (she used to tape everything) and it's sitting in the loft somewhere. If only.

Liked
    418 times
    name='icestation2']After looking at the different reviews etc about the film, I'm about 99% sure it's the correct film and I definitely watched it on TV within the last 30 years. Unfortunately I didn't tape it. Damn and Blast!!!!

Unless ...... my mum taped it (she used to tape everything) and it's sitting in the loft somewhere. If only.

If that is the case then glasses could be raised to toast you, and your mum, by many people around the world

When might you have started taping things? When did you get your first VCR?

Can you please ask your mum if it rings any bells with her

We don't expect these early works by Powell to be masterpieces by any means. But they are often very interesting in that we see him experimenting with ideas that he later used to better effect in his major films. And some of them are surprisingly good given the budget they had to work with and the speed at which they were made.

Captain Waggett has already said that she can't find it in any of the TV listings, and she's got access to the TV listings in all the British newspapers. But, as she said, it could have been slipped in as a schedule filler if something else was cancelled.

I don't suppose that you, or your mum, remember which channel it would have been on? You say "within the last 30 years", if you can narrow that down at all that could help. Presumably it was on one of the 4 terrestrial channels, not a cable or satellite broadcast. Channel 4 has only been with us since 1982 so maybe even that one is out of the running. Which ITV region are you in?

I know some people at the BBC who I can get hunting through the schedules of what was actually broadcast.

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    name='Steve Crook']If that is the case then glasses could be raised to toast you, and your mum, by many people around the world

When might you have started taping things? When did you get your first VCR?

Can you please ask your mum if it rings any bells with her

We don't expect these early works by Powell to be masterpieces by any means. But they are often very interesting in that we see him experimenting with ideas that he later used to better effect in his major films. And some of them are surprisingly good given the budget they had to work with and the speed at which they were made.

Captain Waggett has already said that she can't find it in any of the TV listings, and she's got access to the TV listings in all the British newspapers. But, as she said, it could have been slipped in as a schedule filler if something else was cancelled.

I don't suppose that you, or your mum, remember which channel it would have been on? You say "within the last 30 years", if you can narrow that down at all that could help. Presumably it was on one of the 4 terrestrial channels, not a cable or satellite broadcast. Channel 4 has only been with us since 1982 so maybe even that one is out of the running. Which ITV region are you in?

I know some people at the BBC who I can get hunting through the schedules of what was actually broadcast.

Steve

I've had a good look in the loft but no luck unfortunately. If I had to guess what year I saw it, I would say 1983. If I took a guess at what TV channel it was on, I would say channel 4. However as I already mentioned without seeing even a very small clip I obviously can't be 100% sure it was The Brown wallet. If the film featured a major scene in a posh high society cabaret club then it's almost certainly correct but sometimes a film that seems to fit with a description can turn out to be completely wrong.

Liked
    418 times
    name='icestation2']I've had a good look in the loft but no luck unfortunately. If I had to guess what year I saw it, I would say 1983. If I took a guess at what TV channel it was on, I would say channel 4. However as I already mentioned without seeing even a very small clip I obviously can't be 100% sure it was The Brown wallet. If the film featured a major scene in a posh high society cabaret club then it's almost certainly correct but sometimes a film that seems to fit with a description can turn out to be completely wrong.
    I've asked Prof. Ian Christie if he's got (or knows of) any other information about it, pictures or words, that might help you give a definite yea or nay

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    What is interesting or maybe not is that I did a search on Amazon for books written by Stacy Aumonier who wrote the story which the film was based on and one comes up which has a cover in very art deco styling - ‘Extremely Entertaining Short Stories: Classic Works of a Master’. From reading the brief reviews of the film The Brown Wallet there is no real indication as to what social circle/arena - so to speak - the story/film was set. As I have already mentioned one or more important scenes is located in a large cabaret club but now I definitely recall it being very Art deco styled with several tiered seating/table areas etc. Maybe just a coincidence but obviously not all writers back in the 1930’s wrote stories based on events/happenings in high society art deco locations.

Liked
    418 times
    name='icestation2']What is interesting or maybe not is that I did a search on Amazon for books written by Stacy Aumonier who wrote the story which the film was based on and one comes up which has a cover in very art deco styling - �Extremely Entertaining Short Stories: Classic Works of a Master�. From reading the brief reviews of the film The Brown Wallet there is no real indication as to what social circle/arena - so to speak - the story/film was set. As I have already mentioned one or more important scenes is located in a large cabaret club but now I definitely recall it being very Art deco styled with several tiered seating/table areas etc. Maybe just a coincidence but obviously not all writers back in the 1930�s wrote stories based on events/happenings in high society art deco locations.
    Well a film wouldn't necessarily have to use that same style, but Powell did a few films at that time set in that sort of style. He also did some in other styles.

The Kinematoraph Weekly review mentions that the victim had a butler and that the settings include a country house, Chelsea home, and Bayswater studio.

Steve

Super Moderator Country: England
    Liked
    7 times

Liked
    492 times
    name='penfold']Alternatively...... I Wouldn't Be in Your Shoes (1948)

I wondered about that though the only IMDB comment does suggest it was Missing Believed Lost during the 1980s. There is a film actually called The Wallet (which suggests at least some wallet-related action), though IMDB doesn't give any clues as to what it might be about and I can't trace any tv showings.

Liked
    80 times

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast