Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    A 1950's musical film involving lots of young women dressed up as American footballers. I not a great fan of musicals but I remember this one for some reason - I was about 8 years old at the time. The leading female falls in love with a guy who probably must like the sport. The film involves quite a few women being thrown around alot.

Senior Member Country: United States TimR's Avatar
    Liked
    29 times
    It sounds like Yes Sir, That's My Baby with Donald O'Connor

Liked
    0 times
    name='TimR']It sounds like Yes Sir, That's My Baby with Donald O'Connor

Not right unfortunately.

Senior Member Country: United States TimR's Avatar
    Liked
    29 times
    OK - I'll keep looking.

Liked
    80 times
    name='icestation2']A 1950's musical film involving lots of young women dressed up as American footballers. I not a great fan of musicals but I remember this one for some reason - I was about 8 years old at the time. The leading female falls in love with a guy who probably must like the sport. The film involves quite a few women being thrown around alot.

There are a couple of musicals with American football as part of the plot - both set in colleges.

The first is Too Many Girls with Lucille Ball, but made in 1940 in black and white.

The other is Good News made in 1947 in colour, and starring June Allyson and Peter Lawford.

There are a few clips from each on Youtube, but I don't think any showing girls being thrown around! Do you mean this happened as part of a song and dance routine?

E.

Liked
    0 times
    name='Euryale']There are a couple of musicals with American football as part of the plot - both set in colleges.

The first is Too Many Girls with Lucille Ball, but made in 1940 in black and white.

The other is Good News made in 1947 in colour, and starring June Allyson and Peter Lawford.

There are a few clips from each on Youtube, but I don't think any showing girls being thrown around! Do you mean this happened as part of a song and dance routine?

E.

Sorry. Both of these aren't correct either. Out of the last batch of four or so films I requested info on a few days ago, I thought this one would be the easiest by far. The one I'm really interested to get info on is the shop girl film, but unfortunately no luck so far.

The film with the girls dressed up as American footballers was definitely in colour - I can remember it being very garish colour. One or more of the scenes had the leading lady (dressed up) talking to a young man (in his 30's) about her career (probably as a professional dancer) and how it was on the way down. Quite a few scenes possibly in a park or gardens owned by the theater. Her main act within the show she performed in involved being thrown around as an American football ball.

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times

Liked
    0 times
    name='CaptainWaggett']I love Melvin

Thanks. Hopefully it's available on DVD although I won't cry if it isn't because I really hate musicals.

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    name='icestation2']Thanks. Hopefully it's available on DVD although I won't cry if it isn't because I really hate musicals.

It was easy once I realised the dressing up as footballers was a dance routine rather than a plot device which wasn't quite clear from your original post. I don't remember the film as being a classic though...