Liked
    0 times
    i am a a2 media studies student researching from my critical research unit.

my media studies exam in june is all about women in film.

the question i have chosen to study is "is the role of women in romantic comedies simply to be plot devices for the story"

all feedback/information welcomed.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    The answer is - "Yes"

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='SirOllyBolly']The answer is - "Yes"
    Or maybe a better answer is "sometimes"

Steve

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    Have you thought of subsitituting the word 'men' for women in your question and seeing if you come up with a different answer?

Senior Member Country: Spain Rowdon's Avatar
    Liked
    143 times
    You posted this on May 29th, and your exam's in JUNE??? How long do they give you for research?

And what research have you done so far? Give us some guidelines here.

And at the risk of repeating what I wrote about the Soffia Coppola media studies question ...

How are you taking the question? What does the question-setter mean by "plot devices for the story"? As opposed to plot devices for what exactly? Aren't plot devices automatically for the story ... the plot in fact?

How do you understand "simply"?

As Captain Wagget says, could men be seen as plot devices?

The question is far too general and lazy to have any real direction or meaning until you interpret it, filmfanatic101. How many words do you have to write? can't you think of any Romcom examples to throw at us to give us a starting point? Or do you want us to give you a starting point?

This question is obviously a 'free' question, by which I mean, it's like asking Are cars OK in films?...

You can answer "Yes, thanks" or "No, not at all" or "Depends on the car" or "depends on the film" or "depends on the director" or "depends on the driver" or even "In my opinion, it depends on the tassel on the gear stick". You can and must decide what you understand by "cars", "OK", and "films" ...

The point is, the question has absolutely no meaning until you take it and break it down and interpret it. That pretty much frees you up to write about anything close to the subject.

Filmfanatic101: Please decide how you're going to approach this question, otherwise it's just too vague and our answers won't help you.

Liked
    0 times
    Im researching womens representation in romantic comedies. Gathering evidence on whether they have a significant role as characters or if they are just used as plot devices. I would like some opinions on the statement as well as useful films, books, articles and any other useful information which i could use for my essay.

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    I don't really know what the question means as anything can be a plot device but, FWIW, I would say that it's usually women who drive the plot in romcoms which are also usually targetted at a female audience who do want characters they can identify with. What films are you looking at?

Senior Member Country: Wales
    Liked
    0 times
    Romantic comedies tend to be aimed at women, it is the main 'genre' where they are given full rein. So it would be unlikely that they would be marginalised. They can, however, be presented in a negative light which has been discussed recently here in several threads and there is a link somewhere to an article about the the latest crop of romcoms.

I think Nora Ephron has produced the most interesting examples in the last twenty/thirty years. She likes the genre, plays with it, references 'romcoms' from earlier eras and is very 'knowing' about it - making no bones that it is a romcom - and making no apologies for that - but that it can also come up with a few interesting points about relationships, the world and everything etc. The women are self possessed and fully rounded characters. They are just looking for someone to be with that they like - not desperately clinging on to life until a man can make it complete - which is how the latest crop have been heading (see the mother and father, in recent years, of rather negative portrayals - Bridget Jones 1 and 2.)

Liked
    144 times
    Queenie in Love / Amos Kollek (2001) is the best hilarious comedy with a loveful woman's character I've seen since a long time, with wonderful Valerie Geffner, and great Victor Argo .....

Moon.