Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked
    0 times
    My first post to this forum! and I wanted to tell you what I'm watching now.... How We Used To Live - The TV series from the 1980s.

I'm actually watching the 1936-53 series, which includes WW2 and it's absolutely great!

Does anybody else remember it?

Senior Member Country: Vatican Sgt Sunshine's Avatar
    Liked
    212 times
    name='algernonh']My first post to this forum! and I wanted to tell you what I'm watching now.... How We Used To Live - The TV series from the 1980s.

I'm actually watching the 1936-53 series, which includes WW2 and it's absolutely great!

Not sure i remember this one ..........but wasn't there a programme on years ago called "All our Yesterdays"

Think it was shown 60's or 70's

Sgt S

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    11 times
    name='algernonh']My first post to this forum! and I wanted to tell you what I'm watching now.... How We Used To Live - The TV series from the 1980s.

Algernon, where are you watching this great series?? I wasn't aware it was on anywhere. Is it on a satellite station??

Senior Member Country: England jaycad's Avatar
    Liked
    100 times
    i remember 'how we used to live' being on in the schools programmes time slot-great show! i wish it was repeated on evenings or over the weekend!

Liked
    80 times
    I remember watching this at school in the late '60s when Jess Yates was the presenter!

E.

Liked
    100 times
    name='Euryale']I remember watching this at school in the late '60s when Jess Yates was the presenter!

E.

how long did the series run for?? having only seen it in the 80's in school(and the odd repeat) i presumed it to be an 80's series!

Liked
    80 times
    name='jaycad']how long did the series run for?? having only seen it in the 80's in school(and the odd repeat) i presumed it to be an 80's series!

IMDB says 1968-1990, so it must have been the first series I saw, don't remember seeing any of it after that.

I'm sure Jess always used to begin and close each programme with words like 'how we used to live a hundred years ago' since the period being covered was around 1868-70.

"How We Used to Live" (1968)

E.

Liked
    100 times
    name='Euryale']IMDB says 1968-1990, so it must have been the first series I saw, don't remember seeing any of it after that.

I'm sure Jess always used to begin and close each programme with words like 'how we used to live a hundred years ago' since the period being covered was around 1868-70.

"How We Used to Live" (1968)

E.

the series i remember was set in late victorian-edwardian times! would love to see this programme in it's entirety! i see by the credits that the later series starred a pre 'bread' peter howitt-interesting!

Liked
    80 times
    name='jaycad']the series i remember was set in late victorian-edwardian times! would love to see this programme in it's entirety! i see by the credits that the later series starred a pre 'bread' peter howitt-interesting!

Lostshows.com suggests that the first 26 episodes (1968-69) now only exist on 16mm film.

E.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I watched it in the 1980s when my own kids were at school. There were three series set around the Edwardian era, both World Wars and into the 1960s. The first two series were about two different families, who joined together and inter-married for the third.

There was Michael, the Irish groom to the Holroyds, who ran away with - and married - Maggie and was killed in the war. There was a blonde chap who was into motor cars and who married fat Bertha, William who worked for the government and Tom the miner, played by the gorgeous Peter Howitt (later to play Joey Boswell in Bread), who married Charlotte Holroyd and became an MP.

And who can forget the couple whose kids were orphaned when they were killed in a car crash on the then new M1?

Oh yes, I loved that programme. Happy days.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    11 times
    The lovely Julie Shipley was in 12 episodes in 1981/2.

Senior Member Country: England mallee59's Avatar
    Liked
    8 times
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RPJpo65Js0&feature=related]YouTube - ITV Schools - How We Used To Live 1954-1970[/ame]

some look to be on youtube

mallee

Liked
    0 times
    I was at school at the time this was on; that series so impressed the older generations of my family who lived through the last war that they used to watch it too.

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    name='Sgt Sunshine']Not sure i remember this one ..........but wasn't there a programme on years ago called "All our Yesterdays"

Think it was shown 60's or 70's

Sgt S

Yes - originally with Brian Inglis and then Bernard Braden.

name='Euryale']Lostshows.com suggests that the first 26 episodes (1968-69) now only exist on 16mm film.

E.

Better than nothing - probably 'telerecordings'. Hopefully, we'll get to see them.

Trivia: I've just discovered that Geoffrey Wheeler, quizmaster on Top of the Form and The Voice of Winner Takes All, presented ten episodes of this show.

name='cully']The lovely Julie Shipley was in 12 episodes in 1981/2.

I am just about to post a photo of Julie with Gerry Sundquist in The Mallens at the latter's suddenly fast-moving thread!

Senior Member Country: England mallee59's Avatar
    Liked
    8 times
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TZQ9RS8CnQ]YouTube - Spike Milligan interviewed by Bernard Braden[/ame]

only clip I can find so far of 'all our yesterdays'

clip with bernard braden interviewing spike from 1988, I do remember watching the series on sundays I believe?

Senior Member Country: UK didi-5's Avatar
    Liked
    191 times
    I remember this in the late 70s/early 80s. Wasn't it an ATV production? It seemed to be repeats even then but for children's TV it was probably well-funded and so ultimately well-remembered.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I'm sorry if it's in the wrong part of the forum but I have bought the official VHS release tapes off eBay of the Victorian series about the doctors family. I remember it from school and it was just as entertaining watching it today.

Does anyone else remember watching that series at school?

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    With the added bonus of Enid Blyton's Famous Five ... Also part of the ITV daytime schedule were

Children's shows Paperplay, presented by Susan Stranks, and Hickory House, with Alan Rothwell:

Too Old for Nanny - Second of ten programmes about 19th century life.

I can't say I know any of these actors, unfortunately. IMDb's profile of Lorraine Peters reveals that I've seen her before, as Mrs. Sowerby in the BBC's 1975 adaptation of The Secret Garden, and also credits her as 'Girl on Grave' in The Wicker Man. I very much doubt this is the same actress but will have to revisit that scene later to confirm. It's also about time I got round to seeing The Secret Garden again - in full. My DVD is of the complete series, wheras the copy I saw on video is a shortened, film-length version.

It's only a few weeks since I updated the filmography of David Ross - I'd forgotten all about him. He played a 'Window Cleaner' in the first episode of The XYY Man. This was credited on screen but not at the Database, so I was pleased to see his contribution added. It would be nice to do the same for How We Used to Live but the above listing is all I have. There are details for the first and third episodes of Series 4 at IMDb, but not Too Old for Nanny.

David was a regular character in a couple of forgotten ITV sitcoms around this time (late 70s). I vaguely remember Leave It to Charlie, starring David Roper (from The Cuckoo Waltz) and Peter Sallis, but not Yanks Go Home!. The anti-American-sounding comedy had at least one 'dream' combination I could use for Actors We Didn't Expect to See Together: ITC favourite Stuart Damon - who actually wrote one of the episodes! - and Soap actress Meg Johnson. I wonder if ITV viewers recognised David Ross from these shows? Much more recently, he's been one of the main characters in yet another sitcom (for the BBC this time), The Green, Green Grass. I like this show and am trying to think which one he is - one of the farmers probably.

Of the actors in that picture from How We Used to Live, I don't know about 'baby Gillian Wood' and Jean(n)ie Hammersleigh has only one credit - Alan Plater's Get Lost! - but there are at least a few more to peruse for James Tomlinson and Tessa Worsley, the latter appearing in two Thora Hird sitcoms, In Loving Memory and Hallelujah! (that's the third title in this post to have an exclamation mark ...!). Years later, James was in two episodes of the brilliant series G. B. H., both of which included David Ross. How about THAT for a coincidence!

Senior Member Country: Wales
    Liked
    0 times
    Over at Roobarbs forum there's a mention that one of the series of How We used to Live is planned for a DVD release in June

Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    name='glyn horton']Over at Roobarbs forum there's a mention that one of the series of How We used to Live is planned for a DVD release in June

I hope that's true. It was a cracking series and I'd love to see it again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast