Page 42 of 61 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Thread: British Theatre

Senior Member Country: UK didi-5's Avatar
    Liked
    191 times
    Has anyone else been to see 'Master Class' yet? We really enjoyed it, being Callas fans, but I guess it is a typical Broadway show, written to showcase one performer.

Liked
    137 times
    The stage production of The King's Speech will open at Wyndhams Theatre at the end of March following its tour :

King's Speech confirms West End transfer, opens 22 March - - News - Whatsonstage.com

Liked
    137 times

Senior Member Country: UK Windyridge's Avatar
    Liked
    52 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dpgmel View Post
    I think the word I'm looking for is eclectic- to describe the casting for She Stoops To Conquer at the National Theatre from January. still as one of my favourite plays I'm sure I'll be heading off to SE1

Pemberton, Thompson & Corrie's Kelly Conquer NT - - News - Whatsonstage.com
    Saw this last Thursday. Harry Hadden PatonSteve PembertonSophie Thompson completely OTT but hilarious - fabulous set, great direction, both witty and ribald, but not one of my favourite Restoration Romps and I do love 'em. Think The Recruiting Officer will knock spots off this one, although it's very enjoyable. However, like most plays, half an hour could've been happily shaved off it.

Liked
    137 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Windyridge View Post
    Saw this last Thursday. Harry Hadden PatonSteve PembertonSophie Thompson completely OTT but hilarious - fabulous set, great direction, both witty and ribald, but not one of my favourite Restoration Romps and I do love 'em. Think The Recruiting Officer will knock spots off this one, although it's very enjoyable. However, like most plays, half an hour could've been happily shaved off it.
    Off to see this in just under a fortnight and can't wait, like you I'm a big fan of Restoration comedies.

I wonder if The Recruiting Officer will transfer to one of the larger WE theatres once it's run at the Donmar Warehouse comes to a close ?

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    2 times
    Off to see this in just under a fortnight and can't wait, like you I'm a big fan of Restoration comedies.

I wonder if The Recruiting Officer will transfer to one of the larger WE theatres once it's run at the Donmar Warehouse comes to a close ?
    A pedant writes: 'She Stoops to Conquer' was first performed in 1773, 113 years after the Restoration.

Liked
    137 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Blanche Fury View Post
    A pedant writes: 'She Stoops to Conquer' was first performed in 1773, 113 years after the Restoration.
    Did I not say " post- restoration " ?

Correct away......

Senior Member Country: UK Windyridge's Avatar
    Liked
    52 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Blanche Fury View Post
    Ah well, what's 113 years between friends? It's got big skirts, fancy shoes and asides - where's the difference?

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    109 times
    Hi,
    In my thespian capacity, my next cultural experience at The Watford Palace Theatre will be next month, when I see REASONS TO BE CHEERFUL by Paul Sirett. I shall post a comment after I see it.

Alan French.

Liked
    137 times
    I see that Written on ther Heart is to play a limioted season this spring at the Duchess Theatre, has anyone seen it ?

Duchess receives RSC

Senior Member Country: UK didi-5's Avatar
    Liked
    191 times
    Finally get to see 'Collaborators' this week, Thursday I think. Will return to this thread when I've seen it ...

Senior Member Country: Ireland jimw1's Avatar
    Liked
    396 times
    My Nephew (seated in the first pic and lighting a cigarette in the second ) is playing the part of Phillip Morgan in a local production of Rope....Im looking forward to seeing it on Saturday......

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jimw1 View Post
    My Nephew (seated in the first pic and lighting a cigarette in the second ) is playing the part of Phillip Morgan in a local production of Rope....Im looking forward to seeing it on Saturday......

Excellent - they're both about the right age (or look it anyway). Productions often ask you to suspend your disbelief rather too much when they cast 35 year olds as teenagers

Senior Member Country: UK Mr Sloane's Avatar
    Liked
    239 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainWaggett View Post
    Excellent - they're both about the right age (or look it anyway). Productions often ask you to suspend your disbelief rather too much when they cast 35 year olds as teenagers

But when Dame Joanie is playing all the parts that 35 year olds should be playing what are they to do

Liked
    492 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Sloane View Post
    But when Dame Joanie is playing all the parts that 35 year olds should be playing what are they to do
    I know. She doesn't look a day over 28 but lack of self-confidence has always been her undoing

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    109 times
    Hi,
    In my thespian capacity, I have booked another trip to the Watford Pace Theatre. This time, it is 'Neighbourhood Watch' by Alan Ayckbourn. I gather it is his 75th play.

Alan French.

Liked
    137 times
    This has now confirmed as opening at the Vaudeviile Theatre :

Djalili stars in Orton

Senior Member Country: UK Mr Sloane's Avatar
    Liked
    239 times
    This has now confirmed as opening at the Vaudeviile Theatre :

Djalili stars in Orton
    Well that decides how I spend my theatre tokens.

Senior Member Country: UK Windthrop's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    Quote Originally Posted by alan french View Post
    Hi,
    In my thespian capacity, I have booked another trip to the Watford Pace Theatre. This time, it is 'Neighbourhood Watch' by Alan Ayckbourn. I gather it is his 75th play.

Alan French.
    Saw this at Scarborough last year. I thought it was better than several of his more recent ones and as you probably know deals with very contemporary issues - the broken society et al. Looks like you're getting the Scarbrough cast as well which is always a big plus. Age cannot wither (or a recent stroke) nor custom stale this dramatist.

Not that many months before his new one Surprises is premiered - looking forward to that. That and the fish and chips (al fresco if the weather's up to it).

Liked
    492 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Sloane View Post
    Well that decides how I spend my theatre tokens.
    More publicity for the evil vandal

Page 42 of 61 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast