Thread: Harry Worth

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    My brother just emailed me asking if I knew anything about Harry Worth and it occurred to me that aside from the shop window gag in the titles, and the fact that his show ran for years, I couldn't recall one single scene or gag from any show, nor could I think of one single film appearance. My brother tells me that Harry Worth got his big break supporting Laurel and Hardy on one of their UK tours. Anyone have any Harry Worth info "worth" passing on?

Senior Member Country: England mallee59's Avatar
    Liked
    8 times
    http://filmdope.com/forums/br...ht=harry+worth

might be some info here on a similar thread

Mallee

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    109 times
    Hi Pricey,

In addition to anything that has already been said on this or any other forum, you will find more about him on website, harryworth.moonfuit.com

.Also I have recently written a blog for Hemel Hempstead Movie Makers about him, as he also did visit us and may or may not have been a member. Although it is thought due to commitments he probably did not, or if he did, he was not with us long.

Our website is:- Hemel Hempstead Movie Makers

.Alan French

Liked
    1 times
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZRSW-DsiKM]YouTube - HARRY WORTH : Comedy Routine[/ame]

YouTube also has one episode of the show, entitled James Bond Where Are You?

The only other thing I can recall about him, is that he started out as a ventriliquist.

Senior Member Country: Ireland
    Liked
    9 times
    He's Helen Worth's father, (Gail in Corrie).

Liked
    0 times
    name='midnight sheep']He's Helen Worth's father, (Gail in Corrie).

I'm not sure this is corrrect as Harry's name was Illingsworth, and Gail's is Wigglesworth.

I was in one of his tele shows, in one of those blink-and-you've-missed it moments. The filming went on all day for my bit, and he was so kind and funny .........handing out cigarettes to everyone (mine as it happened). Lovely man.

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    name='midnight sheep']He's Helen Worth's father, (Gail in Corrie).

He is definately not the father of Helen Worth.

He had one daughter but her name is Jobyna

Senior Member Country: England Tonch's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    My uncle saw him on stage in the seventies at some seaside holiday resort. Apparently he came on stage and immediately said something to the effect of, "Right, let's get it out of the way then" at which point a large mirror/window prop was wheeled on and he did his famous shop window signature gag. Everyone applauded, the ice was broken, and as the prop was wheeled back off into the wings he proceeded to deliver what my uncle described as one of the sharpest and most hilarious stand up comedy gag routines he's ever witnessed. Brought the house down apparently, sharp as a razor and quick as a flash with a couple of heckles, nothing like his avuncular, bumbling TV persona.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    23 times
    Just a quick bit of info for readers,

BBC Radio 4 tomorrow 15 December 2009 is doing a half-hour documentary regarding Harry. 11,30 am. More info i expect on the BBC Radio 4 website.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain scenesixty's Avatar
    Liked
    5 times
    name='Tonch']My uncle saw him on stage in the seventies at some seaside holiday resort. Apparently he came on stage and immediately said something to the effect of, "Right, let's get it out of the way then" at which point a large mirror/window prop was wheeled on and he did his famous shop window signature gag. Everyone applauded, the ice was broken, and as the prop was wheeled back off into the wings he proceeded to deliver what my uncle described as one of the sharpest and most hilarious stand up comedy gag routines he's ever witnessed. Brought the house down apparently, sharp as a razor and quick as a flash with a couple of heckles, nothing like his avuncular, bumbling TV persona.

Lovely posting! I adored Harry as a kid in the 60's we all did-never read anything negative about Harry-his Tv programmes were always looked forward to! His confused look his chin rubbing and bumbling was hilarious!

Liked
    13 times
    Listened to a nice Radio 4 Harry Worth documentary earlier today, it wasn't broadcast today, but was still available. I remember him., but am not that familiar with him, so this was an excellent reminder. Unless your an expert , or a detestor (?), I would recommend this half hour listen - a solid primer.

Liked
    23 times
    name='billy bentley']Listened to a nice Radio 4 Harry Worth documentary earlier today, it wasn't broadcast today, but was still available. I remember him., but am not that familiar with him, so this was an excellent reminder. Unless your an expert , or a detestor (?), I would recommend this half hour listen - a solid primer.

This will be the one I alerted a few posts ago and still available on the BBC i-player? The BBC have highlighted this programme as their radio choice of the week and may be extending the replay period further.

Those of us who are in the UK and are able to get sight of a Radio Times weekly are recommended to look up Radio 4 regularly regarding Tuesday mornings, as this morning period is often given over to a documentary of much-loved show-business people. Radio 4 did a similarly-timed documentary on Bennie Hill just a few weeks ago.

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    Preview for 'Titipu' (The Canberra Times, Wednesday, 23rd December 1968)

An audio recording exists of BBC2's sadly missing adaptation of The Mikado, originally broadcast in colour on Boxing Day 1967:

Senior Member Country: England zabadak's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    The only (very quick) sketch I remember of Harry's was one where he was driving a car.

There was a hitch-hiker who wanted to go to Leatherhead and had a sign with the town's name on. As Harry passed, he shouted "Leatherhead", hopefully.

Harry leaned out and retorted "Fish-face!"

Senior Member Country: Scotland narabdela's Avatar
    Liked
    20 times
    Quote Originally Posted by zabadak View Post
    The only (very quick) sketch I remember of Harry's was one where he was driving a car.

There was a hitch-hiker who wanted to go to Leatherhead and had a sign with the town's name on. As Harry passed, he shouted "Leatherhead", hopefully.

Harry leaned out and retorted "Fish-face!"

Yes, that was as about funny(?) as he ever got.

Liked
    0 times
    Sounds like a Barry Cryer gag.

Liked
    0 times
    Because nowadays we have become accustomed to comedians writing their own material, but it was not always so. Some of the most famous comedians were great at delivering gags, or lines, that were written for them. So there are writers who made some of the classic sketches - whose names can be seen right across the TV schedules - who wrote for everyone. John Junkin, Barry Cryer, Spike Milligan. A lot of them had their own acts, or acted, but made good money by writing for others.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    My wife hates taking me shopping in department stores, I just can't help remembering Harry Worth:

IMG_0352.jpg

Senior Member Country: England cassidy's Avatar
    Liked
    94 times
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneAgeMan View Post
    Because nowadays we have become accustomed to comedians writing their own material, but it was not always so. Some of the most famous comedians were great at delivering gags, or lines, that were written for them. So there are writers who made some of the classic sketches - whose names can be seen right across the TV schedules - who wrote for everyone. John Junkin, Barry Cryer, Spike Milligan. A lot of them had their own acts, or acted, but made good money by writing for others.
    Not forgetting the great Eric Sykes.