Thread: The Snorkel

Senior Member Country: England Tonch's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    I saw an old b&w film donkeys years ago, all I remember of it was a wicked man had been terrorising a child....he was hiding beneath loose floorboards or a trapdoor while the youngster's parents (oblivious of his hidden presence) moved the furniture around the room to reassure the child no one was hiding there and a wardrobe was left over the secret trapdoor, sealing the baddie within his hidey-hole. The parents leave and the bad guy whispers to the kiddie to push the wardrobe so he can get out, at which point I seem to vividly remember the child saying something like "My parents told me I am imagining all this and I have to forget all about you" at which point I seem to recall the camera pans through the room's window to show a beach/seaside scene outside and the film ends with the evil-doer entombed...

have I dreamt all of this? No one I've ever asked seems to be able to link it to any film and I've never seen it again. I think I saw it in the late sixties or early seventies on TV, it may have been made in the forties or fifties? Please help if you can!!

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi,

Sounds like Hammer Film's THE SNORKEL.

Stephen Laws

The Midnight Man: The Official Website of the author Stephen Laws

Senior Member Country: Germany
    Liked
    1 times
    It somehow reminds me of Hammer's The Snorkel, with Peter van Eyck ending entrapped under the floorboards ...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq8nVydm0mY]YouTube - THE SNORKEL (1958)[/ame]

Senior Member Country: England Tonch's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    Many thanks, this has bugged me on and off for a good few years but I am sure this is indeed the film in question

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    12 times
    Reasonable quality copies can be obtained on E-Bay...Mandy Miller herself (the Star) asked me to try and track a copy down. Strange that it hasn't been issued properly as it is quite a good little film.

Film Man.

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    Yes, The Snorkel was very good indeed. I haven't seen it since it was last on television, proably as far back as the late 1970's. As it's a Columbia-Hammer film, I can't see any reason why it shouldn't be released properly on DVD.

Senior Member Country: Germany
    Liked
    1 times
    I haven't seen it in a while, but I like qute like it. Very effective, quite underrated when Hammer thrillers are discussed, I think.

P.S.: Hey, Stephen beat me by less than a second! *g*