Liked
    0 times
    I am trying to trace the title of this TV drama series, which I remember seeing at primary school during 1970 (a long time back I know) about a lonely boy, on holiday, who befriends a giant. At first, the boy kept running away from the giant. I remember one scene where the boy is in a field and the giant looks at him through a magnifying glass. Can anyone please help?

Liked
    0 times
    It may sound the obvious one, but Land of the Giants was made in the late 60's?

I looked on the Episode guide and there were a couple of episodes involving kids?

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    name='Critto']I am trying to trace the title of this TV drama series, which I remember seeing at primary school during 1970 (a long time back I know) about a lonely boy, on holiday, who befriends a giant. At first, the boy kept running away from the giant. I remember one scene where the boy is in a field and the giant looks at him through a magnifying glass. Can anyone please help?

The plot matches that of Ted Hughes' The Iron Man which was definitely Jackanoried though I don't know if there was an actual dramatisation.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    name='CaptainWaggett']The plot matches that of Ted Hughes' The Iron Man which was definitely Jackanoried though I don't know if there was an actual dramatisation.

I remember that the story was read on Jackanory (Tom Baker?) but it was accompanied by the usual static illustrations.

The only dramatisation AFAIK is the excellent cartoon The Iron Giant ....

Liked
    0 times
    There was a Canadian Children's programme called 'The Friendly Giant' which was made in 1958 but aired from then until around 1985? It was one of them programmes which used to be shown in schools as well.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    name='Bates']There was a Canadian Children's programme called 'The Friendly Giant' which was made in 1958 but aired from then until around 1985? It was one of them programmes which used to be shown in schools as well.

It be this one ....

Liked
    0 times
    Batman, that actually looks quite creepy! I wouldn't let my kids play with that "friendly giant"....

Liked
    0 times
    name='Bates']There was a Canadian Children's programme called 'The Friendly Giant' which was made in 1958 but aired from then until around 1985? It was one of them programmes which used to be shown in schools as well.

I don't think it was The Friendly Giant because I cannot recall a castle being in it (as mentioned on The Internet Movie Data Base) and seeing that it was aired up until 1985, I would of remembered more about it. Thanks for the help anyway.

I also think that the programme which I mentioned above may have been foreign (maybe Eastern European) and had a narrator translating what was going on.