Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: B Movie puzzle

Liked
    80 times
    name='rose ellen']"'Quote:

The Anna Contract was produced as an amateur film on 16mm for a couple of thousand pounds. It was an award winner at the 1978 London Amateur Film Festival but then it was suddenly withdrawn from the amateur circuit and sold to one of the big distributors as a second feature to The Stud'.

The Stud of all things!"

So thats what I saw it with.I saw The Stud in 1978 because I thought Oliver Tobias was gorgeous so I went to see it even though it wasn`t the sort of film I would usually go and see.

Will be interesting to see if Yakima remembers The Stud as being the film in question - or if he admits to it!

E.

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    name='Euryale']Will be interesting to see if Yakima remembers The Stud as being the film in question - or if he admits to it!

E.

Hi you'all. This is an interesting twist. I am certain you are right Euryale that the film is 'The Anna Contract' but I definately didn't see it with The Stud (a film that to this day I have never seen apart from the odd clip). My thinking is that maybe a distributor had carte blanche as to what supporting film was paired with the main feature. The distributor of The Stud therefore was Brent Walker and the only other film to my knowledge that I went to the cinema to see, which was also distributed by Brent Walker, was 'Gone In 60 Seconds' but that was released in 1974 and The Anna Contract was 1978. Curiouser and curiouser. My best guess remains 'The Driver' (1978) but I could be wrong.

Liked
    80 times
    name='yakima']Hi you'all. This is an interesting twist. I am certain you are right Euryale that the film is 'The Anna Contract' but I definately didn't see it with The Stud (a film that to this day I have never seen apart from the odd clip). My thinking is that maybe a distributor had carte blanche as to what supporting film was paired with the main feature. The distributor of The Stud therefore was Brent Walker and the only other film to my knowledge that I went to the cinema to see, which was also distributed by Brent Walker, was 'Gone In 60 Seconds' but that was released in 1974 and The Anna Contract was 1978. Curiouser and curiouser. My best guess remains 'The Driver' (1978) but I could be wrong.

The BFI says that The Anna Contract was distributed by Brent Walker and here is a list of other films that they distributed:

Brent Walker Film Distributors Ltd Movie Credits - InBaseline

Could Gone in 60 Seconds have had a theatrical re-release around 1978 to cash-in on The Driver as they have related themes? I suppose one way to try and find out more would be to track down some film magazines or whatever from that era.

E.

Liked
    0 times
    name='Euryale']The BFI says that The Anna Contract was distributed by Brent Walker and here is a list of other films that they distributed:

Brent Walker Film Distributors Ltd Movie Credits - InBaseline

Could Gone in 60 Seconds have had a theatrical re-release around 1978 to cash-in on The Driver as they have related themes? I suppose one way to try and find out more would be to track down some film magazines or whatever from that era.

E.

Hi again Euryale. 'Gone in 60 Seconds' must have been re-released as I saw it in a double bill with 'The Driver'. However, it is highly unlikely that a supporting film would be shown along with two full length features don't you think?

Liked
    80 times
    name='yakima']Hi again Euryale. 'Gone in 60 Seconds' must have been re-released as I saw it in a double bill with 'The Driver'. However, it is highly unlikely that a supporting film would be shown along with two full length features don't you think?

Unlikely, but not impossible perhaps. Could you have gone to a special screening, like an all-day showing of films, or an all-night one, come to that!

If not, it would seem to rule out that you saw Anna with either Gone in 60 Seconds or The Driver. Maybe some other film?

E.

Liked
    0 times
    name='Euryale']Unlikely, but not impossible perhaps. Could you have gone to a special screening, like an all-day showing of films, or an all-night one, come to that!

If not, it would seem to rule out that you saw Anna with either Gone in 60 Seconds or The Driver. Maybe some other film?

E.

That is quite possible and without further information from the makers of 'Anna' we may never get to know what film it supported. As I recall the double bill showing was just a normal evening presentation (I think I even have a poster somewhere of The Driver paired with Gone in 60 Seconds). The old brain cells let us down over time don't they?

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    23 times
    Does this help anyone so far?

Liked
    80 times
    name='yakima']That is quite possible and without further information from the makers of 'Anna' we may never get to know what film it supported. As I recall the double bill showing was just a normal evening presentation (I think I even have a poster somewhere of The Driver paired with Gone in 60 Seconds). The old brain cells let us down over time don't they?

Let US down? But I agree, I remember stuff better from years ago than more recent times!

I didn't look hard enough at the info. about Anna at the BFI. There it gives TWO films that it got released with - the first we already know about, The Stud. The second was McVicar, which I suppose falls roughly into the same genre as the other two pictures you mentioned. Could it be that?

BFI | Film & TV Database | The ANNA CONTRACT (1977)

E.

Liked
    0 times
    name='Euryale']Let US down? But I agree, I remember stuff better from years ago than more recent times!

I didn't look hard enough at the info. about Anna at the BFI. There it gives TWO films that it got released with - the first we already know about, The Stud. The second was McVicar, which I suppose falls roughly into the same genre as the other two pictures you mentioned. Could it be that?

BFI | Film & TV Database | The ANNA CONTRACT (1977)

E.

Sorry about the slip of the tongue E.

Yes, yes, it certainly could be McVicar come to think of it and I think 'Anna" would have been a good companion film to it. I think you've finally laid this one to rest - thanks for all your efforts.

Liked
    23 times
    name='yakima']Sorry about the slip of the tongue E.

Yes, yes, it certainly could be McVicar come to think of it and I think 'Anna" would have been a good companion film to it. I think you've finally laid this one to rest - thanks for all your efforts.

ABC releases in those days often were done in each television region in turn(ATV,Southern etc). Our Midlands region was in May 1978 for The Anna Contract and in absolute dedication to Britmovie I have spent a while in the archives of the Wolverhampton Express and Star newspaper offices here in Wolverhampton and can confirm that the Midlands choice of A-movie for The Anna Contract (Certificate AA) was........The Stud!

Date of release at ABC's Walsall and Wolverhampton Sun.7 May 1978.

No display advert to confirm this, just lineage.

The Birmingham Post may have a display advert confirming this, but it is going to be later in the month to get a chance for a daytime visit into Birmingham City Centre to find out.

Incidentally, Gone in 60 Seconds had a special promo at the ABC Lime Street,Liverpool in exactly the same week, but that puts it into the (likely) "Stud" pairing bracket also.

There you go.

Liked
    80 times
    There's devotion, Rick - hope it wasn't raining too hard in Queen St!

But if Yakima could remember where he saw Anna, then obviously local news archives might confirm the film it supported in that area. If it was in his current location of Holmfirth, then I'm sure a few of us would be up for an all-expenses-paid-trip to help him look!

E.

Liked
    0 times
    name='Euryale']There's devotion, Rick - hope it wasn't raining too hard in Queen St!

But if Yakima could remember where he saw Anna, then obviously local news archives might confirm the film it supported in that area. If it was in his current location of Holmfirth, then I'm sure a few of us would be up for an all-expenses-paid-trip to help him look!

E.

I saw it at the ABC cinema in Wakefield (now derelict - The old ABC Regal cinema, Wakefield on Flickr - Photo Sharing!). It was never a particularly great cinema as I recall as the acoustics, I thought, were quite poor and you could easily miss important dialogue. Also one of the ceiling light fittings was poorly positioned which cast a slight shadow on the screen. I do have good memories though of watching my first film there which was 'Its a Mad Mad Mad Mad World.

Liked
    23 times
    name='yakima']I saw it at the ABC cinema in Wakefield (now derelict - The old ABC Regal cinema, Wakefield on Flickr - Photo Sharing!). It was never a particularly great cinema as I recall as the acoustics, I thought, were quite poor and you could easily miss important dialogue. Also one of the ceiling light fittings was poorly positioned which cast a slight shadow on the screen. I do have good memories though of watching my first film there which was 'Its a Mad Mad Mad Mad World.

Ok Euryale, its you and me off to the offices of the Wakefield Bugle then?

We just first need from Yakima the date and performance he saw this phantom picture, just in case the management at the ABC Wakefield switched the support picture to "Gone in 60 Seconds" to give us the slip

Liked
    0 times
    name='Rick C']Ok Euryale, its you and me off to the offices of the Wakefield Bugle then?

We just first need from Yakima the date and performance he saw this phantom picture, just in case the management at the ABC Wakefield switched the support picture to "Gone in 60 Seconds" to give us the slip

That would be the Wakefield Express Rick. Can't possibly remember exact dates but I am quite happy to settle on McVicar as the main flick. I think my earlier statement that The Driver was paired with Gone in 60 Seconds MAY be incorrect though as I've just unearthed an old film poster from the attic of 'The Driver' with 'Hooper'. This leaves the possibility then that 'Anna' could have been shown with 'Gone' as they were both distributed by Brent Walker. Enough said... for nostalgia's sake here are some great pictures stealthily taken of the closed ABC cinema: - ABC Cinema Wakefield

Liked
    23 times
    McVicar is showing this weekend on the Action/Thriller Channel on Sunday at 12.10 a.m Monday morning. Do you think there might be a sneak "Anna Contract" being shown as well maybe as a bulk purchase?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12